R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   P-94 vs. Ti (which is better?) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/6021-p-94-vs-ti-better.html)

stormperson 06-24-2002 10:10 AM

P-94 vs. Ti (which is better?)

BATTLE OF THE ELEMENTS!

which motor is a better motor for mod sedan outdoors on a 125x50ish track? i have run ti's in the past and with quantom brushes they only last 2-3 runs before they drop off sigifigantly, and they dont last more then a month of running before they start to fall apart.

will the p94 give me any more runtime or more lifetime for the brushes? i barely made the finish with my 10turn ti (even with new batts, i had no clue what it was). anyway what are the advantages/disavantages?

ideally if i could get imput for hardcore racers who have experance with either, thanks!:D

v12xc 06-24-2002 10:20 AM

Ti of course..........

TPhalen 06-24-2002 10:36 AM

First off, EITHER motor will drop off after 2-3 runs on a larger track. You do need to maintain them often to keep top performance, whether it's the TI or the P94.

Second, run time is completely porportional to your gearing, track size, and race length. Running at SoCal, we can run 8x2 and 7x2 all day, with a 6cell 3000 pack, for 4 minutes. It's all about gearing. On larger tracks (ie., the Tamiya Track at the Reedy Race), we ran 10x1's. 5 minutes. 6cell 3000 pack. ALMOST full wood the whole time, and moderate gearing. Still had quite a bit of time after (say, 30 seconds).

The motors are basically the same, with each manufacturer adding their own twist to them. You really can't say which is a better motor....the P94's have won their share of events, but so have the TI's. I would suggest checking your gearing...talk to a couple fast guys at your track and find out what they are geared.

Oh ya, new batts always suck for the first 5 or so runs. After that they really begin to pick up (of course, it depends on the batteries...)

Kraig 06-24-2002 10:49 AM

Have you tried the Tribo drops yet? I use it all the time in stock and modified motors. I recommend one drop per motor and then rotate the arm to help spread it around. At the end of the run I spray mine out with motor spray and do it all over again. Shameless plug I know. :)

stormperson 06-24-2002 11:58 AM

when i was running sedan stock and 12th scale stock on carpet, i used Tribo religiously ,lol:D. although i did not know it was also benificial for mod motors as well, but outdoors espically where i would be running the dust would probably outwieght the advantages.

also i would be running 5 minutes, and most people run 8x2's although, some do run 7's.

does anyone know if you have to remove the timing ring on the p94 to remove the armiture? since i am pretty sure with the d4's you had to (which just adds to the time), and i since i always run multple classes thats something i could do without.

btw, thank you guys very much for helping me out, its greatly apprecaited.

I normally dont like the buy trinity since i feel its the "evil empire", although there marketing seemed intersted for the p94, is that complete BS, or does it actually make a difference? thanks!

Kraig 06-24-2002 12:41 PM

I didn't think you had to remove the ring. I was always under the impression that you could just rotate the endbell enough to remove it with the ring in tact. I have done that to all of my motors except for the stock epic motors of course.

As the com wears down people are making the brush narrower because there is too much brush wrap though on the 94's. I guess Trinity is or has released a new brush for their modified motors but from what I gather it is a higher silver brush which means more maintenace.

As long as you sprayed the motor out with spray you shouldn't have any problems. Depends on how much maintenance you want to do.

stormperson 06-24-2002 12:53 PM

since it would require me to remove the motor as well as remove the brushes to clean it with motor spray i would probably not have the time to do, thus i would not use Tribo.

although if there is that problem with the p-94, i will probably stick with the ti's. since it does use standard brushes. unless there is an advantage to the p-94.

teamAE 06-24-2002 02:47 PM

I would go with the ti. Why you ask, well the p-94s are motors but the magnets go out very fast, you can't really beat the reedy ti. I run a 8x2 most of the time and I do have a lot a mantince of it but is well worth it, cut new brushs every 2-4 runs:D

Speedo 06-24-2002 04:01 PM

I like the ti better. The quality is far superior.

Josh

JimmyMac 06-24-2002 06:31 PM

Hmmm agree'd with what TPhalen said about both motors. Anyways, my Opinion is that I like my Ti's. I run an 8x2 on the large track here. We only run 4 minutes for Mod and 5 for stock. So run time is no problem for my Ultra's. My gearing right now is 21/72. And the track is much larger than yours. I use the Quasar brushes along with a handwound arm. I skim my comm after every 2 runs. Maybe every run depending on the looks of it. Brushes every 2 races. It's a good motor. I like it alot. Another motor I like as well is my Core Touring 10x1. Just another option...

acloco 06-24-2002 09:58 PM

2-3 runs on a mod motor ......ANY mod motor...without cutting....is just about it.

I prefer the Ti cans (C4 magnets do NOT go south).

...and....you can do this:

Run Quasars - excellent power...and less than 10 watts difference on the dyno than any brush out there.

Buy a comm brush - remove the carbon deposits off of the comm after every run. ....not a comm stick....but a brush. They sell them in automotive paint stores. Trinity used to sell them....so did Radio Shack.

Use the Tribo...the stuff works. Just a small drop on the brush.

Next...about 90% of the people running mod are undersprung on the brush spring. If you are overheating brushes or comms...or both....you are either overgeared or undersprung. The Orion silver or white springs........Reedy Copper (bend more tension in them)....or the Trinity purple work great. If over 125 foot straight....gotta go harder.

Align the brush hoods.

Run 12 degrees timing. Less with lower turn motors (less than 10).

Fully break in the brushes at 2.5-3.0 volts.

Don't use serrated brushes on mod motors....they just tear up the comm early. If you need serrations to get good power, then you are under sprung.

Put the motor in the ice chest at least 1 hour before using it....a cold motor is the best. Do not freeze the motor....just darn cold! hehe

If you use ALL of the above (using one or two will not get the job done)....you can get 3-5 full, hard runs on one comm cut.

The Tribo drastically reduces comm wear....especially if used with the Quasars. Don't put Tribo on brushes that are not broken in.

shrekair 06-24-2002 10:21 PM

outside the normal realm of motors may i recomend the new top motors. the orion core and the peak carrera. the power band is ultra smooth! power is very good, and everyone here racing both on-road and off have been switching over. the peak carrera's also respond well to a hard brush which means longer runs before a change. but like every mod they also are very strong w/ a soft brush. motors have held up well, i've run 11x1 12x1 and 12x2 and out of the box they were all great. motor to motor, the power on these motors is everybit as good. in sedan a friend had a hudy 11x2 (from an x-ray kit) which is the older top motor equal to the orion chrome mod and he had no trouble making run time in 5 min mod and he had everybit as much down the straights and the popular 10 turn TI's.

stormperson 06-25-2002 05:12 AM

i will probably go with the Ti's then. also just confirminig, one drop right? should i spray it out after each run? (if so i would assume i would have to remove the brushes as well, or no?)

teamAE 06-25-2002 07:10 AM

you should spray out and clean oyu motor every run, that goes for stocks too. You never now what can be in your motor plus you will be removing any traction junk or dirt any little thing will help your motor go fast, oh and put a drop of oil on those bearings.

teamAE 06-25-2002 07:11 AM

Also you can check out WWW.integy.com and go to the tech board and they have a ton of stuff on motors over there and big jim is the mod so he will help you out alot:D