Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs up Roar Carpet On-Road Regional Feb 10, 2013

If you're in Socal, if not then ROAD TRIP

Let's bust out those WGT's

Old 02-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Okay, I'm almost done building this WGT. I said it was going to be a slow build. All I need is to paint and mount the DB9 body.

My rear pod top plate originally is the stubby one with the shock ball end hole behind the damper tube ball end holes. Because I have changed to an inline battery position, the shock needs to mount more forward like the newer WGT cars. I looked in my parts bin and found rear pod top plate from a BMI 12R that has the shock mount further forward. The screw holes match the Speedmerchant pod but just only the 1st two holes because the hole spacing (front to rear) is different on the Speedmerchant than on the BMI. Side to side (Left to right) the hole spacing and position of the plate matches. So its only mounted on the pod with just two screws instead of four. Will this hold? Is the additional two screws necessary to mount the rear pod top plate?

I would order the proper part from Speedmerchant but its a $9 part and they charge $9 to ship. If someone has the part to sell and would ship for the cost of a postage stamp, I would appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

it will work just fine with just 2 screws holding the top pod plate on. Some of the newer cars are made that way.

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Okay, I'm almost done building this WGT. I said it was going to be a slow build. All I need is to paint and mount the DB9 body.

My rear pod top plate originally is the stubby one with the shock ball end hole behind the damper tube ball end holes. Because I have changed to an inline battery position, the shock needs to mount more forward like the newer WGT cars. I looked in my parts bin and found rear pod top plate from a BMI 12R that has the shock mount further forward. The screw holes match the Speedmerchant pod but just only the 1st two holes because the hole spacing (front to rear) is different on the Speedmerchant than on the BMI. Side to side (Left to right) the hole spacing and position of the plate matches. So its only mounted on the pod with just two screws instead of four. Will this hold? Is the additional two screws necessary to mount the rear pod top plate?

I would order the proper part from Speedmerchant but its a $9 part and they charge $9 to ship. If someone has the part to sell and would ship for the cost of a postage stamp, I would appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vafactor
it will work just fine with just 2 screws holding the top pod plate on. Some of the newer cars are made that way.
Thanks! I just looked up those other cars you talked about and noticed the Rebel 10 is like what you said.

A question about tires:

Are they to be cut down to a specific diameter for best performance or does the spec not allow tire cutting?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Wink

A question about tires:

Are they to be cut down to a specific diameter for best performance or does the spec not allow tire cutting?
Seriously ?

I start mine at 53mm Fr & Rr
Smaller is better when grip comes up
Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

A question about tires:

WGT =/= VTA
Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Seriously ?

I start mine at 53mm Fr & Rr
Smaller is better when grip comes up
Originally Posted by LloydLoar
WGT =/= VTA

Am I missing something about the rules for WGT?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Am I missing something about the rules for WGT?
You're not missing anything - it's just that the inside joke about WGT is that it's the "VTA" of pan car racing. That said, all of the usual pan car setup tips should be employed in preparing your car to compete, the first of which involves cutting down your tires to a reasonable size. 53mm is a good size to start with for carpet, and if you get the chance to race WGT on an outdoor track, I'd recommend 55mm as a starting tire size, maybe a little taller if grip is low.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
You're not missing anything - it's just that the inside joke about WGT is that it's the "VTA" of pan car racing.
"Son, I have met WGT and it is no VTA."
(said in the voice of the texas congressman VP candidate, who i can't remember, but used that line against George Bush's VP candidate whose name i also can't remember. not memorable except he mispelled potatoes?)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

WGT>VTA
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
(said in the voice of the texas congressman VP candidate, who i can't remember, but used that line against George Bush's VP candidate whose name i also can't remember. not memorable except he mispelled potatoes?)
Now, who is misspelling...

Various celebrated quotations...
I have made good judgements in the Past. I have made good judgements in the Future.
Dan Quayle
People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.
Dan Quayle
The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that Dan Quayle may or may not make.
Dan Quayle
The future will be better tomorrow.
Dan Quayle
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks! I just looked up those other cars you talked about and noticed the Rebel 10 is like what you said.

A question about tires:

Best thing about WGT tires is that once you hit the "sweet spot" as far as diameter is concerned, they are STELLAR until you see rim where there's supposed to be foam. My best (TQ) run at the 4th leg of the Midwest grand slam series was started on 1.99" (sorry about my pesky imperial measurements). When I was done the very outside and inside edges of the fronts were bare plastic, and there were some small blank spots in the center as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

I've never heard the VTA WGT comparison reference before

It's odd, seeing as how WGT are quite often one the quikest cars at the races

WGT is a supa fun, easy, low maintenece car to run

Sauce tires, rotate fronts each run, rinse, repeat for weeks, as the spec Lilacs last a long time

Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 AM
CFR
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX

Sauce tires, rotate fronts each run, rinse, repeat for weeks, as the spec Lilacs last a long time
What do you 'rinse' with?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
Originally Posted by InspGadgt
WGT>VTA
In reality, this is true... These cars are quick, and a blast to drive - but certainly easier to control when compared to a 1/12 scale pan car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.