R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #226
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine! View Post
What happed with me just now is that the nut did not fully bottom out. The diff action started to lock up but the gear was still just spinning.
Not sure I fully understand "started to lock up but the gear was still just spinning". Does not seem possible.

Check the instructions again and make sure you are assembling it correctly.

- How is the coned washer installed? Concave side towards the red spacer.

- Red spacer installed correctly with the ridged side placed inward towards the flanged bearing in the right hub? Fairly difficult to see the ridged side; but, it's there.

- Two non-flanged bearings installed...one within the spur gear and the other within the inner side of the right hub?

- Using spur with 1/8" or 3/32" balls?

Bill
Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #227
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I recognize this issue! The belleville washer has bottomed out against the 1/4" axle. This has happened because some other product was introduced. Either 3/32 ball vs 1/8, a different axle from stock, some other non-factory part has been introduced, or one of the famous Slapmaster thrust kits has the wrong spacer.

I am still wallowing over the rather cheesy loss the 'Hawks suffered tonight. I will follow up in the morning to see if this has been resolved.

Bill, we are going to miss you at TZGP, you know you will have another birthday next year so you can skip this one..... no one's keeping track at this point.

Brian
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #228
Tech Champion

If you used the 3/32 diff balls then the axle may be too long where it sticks out of the hub on the nut side...you may need to add a shim between the bearing and the spacer to make up for the difference in length.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #229
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
If you used the 3/32 diff balls then the axle may be too long where it sticks out of the hub on the nut side...you may need to add a shim between the bearing and the spacer to make up for the difference in length.
Don't make me come over there and... well.. Dec 8-15 I will be toes up at Maui doing.... research.
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #230
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
I recognize this issue! The belleville washer has bottomed out against the 1/4" axle. This has happened because some other product was introduced. Either 3/32 ball vs 1/8, a different axle from stock, some other non-factory part has been introduced, or one of the famous Slapmaster thrust kits has the wrong spacer.

I am still wallowing over the rather cheesy loss the 'Hawks suffered tonight. I will follow up in the morning to see if this has been resolved.

Bill, we are going to miss you at TZGP, you know you will have another birthday next year so you can skip this one..... no one's keeping track at this point.

Brian
Brian,

I'm keeping track...doing the countdown to retirement.

Too many things happening for me just before and just after the TZGP weekend.

Wish the TZGP would be scheduled towards the end of the carpet season as opposed to the beginning; but, I guess it is like the Daytona 500 or something! Or maybe Mark could just have two of them...LOL

Bill

Last edited by Still Bill; 10-18-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #231
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Don't make me come over there and... well.. Dec 8-15 I will be toes up at Maui doing.... research.
Maui's just a short 35-45min hop on a plane over to O'ahu Next time you should plan a race weekend on O'ahu!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #232
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Green Machine!

I resorted back to my kimbrough gear and 1/8th balls. I run aS100LT Serpent and I am using the stock axle assembly except for the lighweight diff rings. What was happening was, just sliding everything together, something was bottoming out before I even started the nut. The diff rings wouldn't quite touch the balls and gear. So it didn't even have a chance to tighten properly to begin with. Maybe the bearing recess in the serpent diff hub isn't made deep enough. That's the best way I can describe it. But I rebuilt it using ceramic bearings and silicone nitrade 1/8" balls and the CRC aerodiff spacer collar insted of the cone style spacer serpent provides. Along with the standard spring wasshers. It's working great and very smooth now, so I guess i'll be leaving it alone.
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Green Machine! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #233
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi, can anyone please tell me what the differences between Sepents;

#410050 & 410050 Kits? I'm new to WGT class and the only differences I can tell from the details is one is a Link-Tube (LT) and the other is just the Link... I have a X10 Link atm and running 1s not niMh if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Last edited by CNTRFLD; 10-20-2012 at 02:41 AM.
CNTRFLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #234
Tech Master

The S100L has an oil filled shock to control side to side pod movement, The S100LT has 2 damper tubes that you use heavy silicone grease in to do the same job. Most people prefer the tubes.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #235
Tech Fanatic

Actually I run the s100LT. It has both. The new link tubes as well as the horizontal shock for lateral dampening. It's the "51" part number
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #236
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine! View Post
Actually I run the s100LT. It has both. The new link tubes as well as the horizontal shock for lateral dampening. It's the "51" part number
Thats great to know! Thank You! I really appreciate that!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #237
Tech Fanatic

Just though the thread has been quiet too long. Hope everyone shows up Sunday at TQ. Having two full heats of WGT at round one was awesome! So I was realizing, I like the Jaco tires/wheels better than the BSR's. The wheels are smaller and I can cut the foam down smaller as they wear and get more life out of them to boot. Am I right or what?
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #238
Regional Moderator

Too bad that at a lot of races, since the Jacos don't have a foam stripe to denote the spec compound, they aren't allowed. Since the durometer of the foam is so inconsistent between batches you can't reply on using a meter. It's too easy to cheat by using something other than the spec compound.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #239
Tech Fanatic

I did know about the stripe on BSR's but did not know that fact about the Jacos. Good to know
Mine must be really inconsistant, I can never get past 4th place at my local track! lol
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Old 12-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #240
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Too bad that at a lot of races, since the Jacos don't have a foam stripe to denote the spec compound, they aren't allowed. Since the durometer of the foam is so inconsistent between batches you can't reply on using a meter. It's too easy to cheat by using something other than the spec compound.
For Jaco Lilac Spec tires the White Rim=The Purple Stripe on BSR Lilac Spec tires, i.e. Only Lilac foam is mounted on Jaco white rims.

I like BSR but I have run Jaco Spec tires. I get the same performance/life with either brand.

Jaco rims are .050" smaller than BSR rims. You have to cut Jaco's .050" smaller to get the same performance.

Example:

BSR's at 2.08" run the same as Jaco's at 2.03". At my track Jaco's will traction roll at 2.08" just like BSR's running at 2.13"
Attached Thumbnails
World GT - WGT - 200mm Pan Spec-img_1617.jpg  
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote