Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The best motors for Non-Boosted sedan and 1/12 racing

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Default The best motors for Non-Boosted sedan and 1/12 racing

I know some motors work better boosted, but I'm curious as to which motors are better suited for blinky mode racing on carpet.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silky
I know some motors work better boosted, but I'm curious as to which motors are better suited for blinky mode racing on carpet.

2 of my best are a tossup...the duo3 and the sonic . the duo 3 seems to have a little more torque. i usually run it 2 teeth bigger on the pinion and it still keeps its cool. sonic runs very well as well just seems to like to run at a higher rpm.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

I don't care for the Duo3. Not an issue with the power, but with the delivery. Never seemed smooth to me. The Reedy Sonic seems to be growing in popularity and I really like how smooth it is. I'm currently running the Thunder Power motors from OHP and they are very good. Very smooth power delivery with good rip and straight line speed.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up

This season I believe the ReVtech motors are the most winning motors for non boosted racing. Especially in pan car. At Snowbirds Peter had way more motor than the field, at the Timezone GP my ReVtech 17.5 was untouchable. I bet the same will be true at carpet nats.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For 17.5 non-timing 12th scale, my top 2 choices would be the Revtech and the Reedy Sonic. Both are very quick, have a huge range of timing adjustment, a good selection of tuning rotors available, etc. The Sonic runs a little cooler, is a bit smoother, and has a bit less fade over the course of an 8min run. However, throughout my testing I have found that the Revtech generally yields quicker outright laps in the first 90-120 seconds. In regards to which motor is the best, it's a toss up... both are great motors. At this point I feel more comfortable with the Revtech as I have tested substantially more rollout/timing/rotor configs.

However, I have not tried the Thunder Power motor and would very much like to. I have heard and seen very good things...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lets add to this discussion. It does not matter if you have a good motor if you do mate it to the right speed control. Some motors work better with some ESCs that others. The Duo1 and Duo2 motors (which seem to be the best for 12th scale) seem to work with all ESCs. The Duo3 works better with the Tekin while the Thunder Power works better with the LRP. RevTechs work really good with the Tekin as well as with the Novak Edge (yes, a Novak that can keep up with the very good ESCs). But, from what I have seen, if you can get the Black Diamond ESC with the most up-to-date software, you will get the most out of most motors linked to it.

Oh, another motor to consider that flys under-the-radar for 12th scale is the Losi 17.5 (if you can find a good one with strong magnets). I tested one along with a friend and got very good lap times out of it at my club carpet track. I got a little less out of mine than my buddy did (I linked my to Tekin, my buddy linked his to the Black Diamond). I sold mine and now regret it.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I run and really like my DUO 2 motors but was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on the Tekin Redline motors for blinky classes? Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SS LS1
I run and really like my DUO 2 motors but was wondering if anyone here has an opinion on the Tekin Redline motors for blinky classes? Thanks
Not for blinky 12th scale unless you can find one with strong magnets. I have tried one along with 4 of my other buddies and they were a little weak in 12th scale, worked okay in blinky TC, and great with turbo/timing/boost on the Tekin ESC. Stick with your Duo 2 or if you can find one of those bada$$ Duo 1 motors in good shape/new, snatch it up quick.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Not for blinky 12th scale unless you can find one with strong magnets. I have tried one along with 4 of my other buddies and they were a little weak in 12th scale, worked okay in blinky TC, and great with turbo/timing/boost on the Tekin ESC. Stick with your Duo 2 or if you can find one of those bada$$ Duo 1 motors in good shape/new, snatch it up quick.
Generally in 1s applications a strong rotor is not better. The lower voltage doesn't produce enough power to spool up a motor with strong rotor. But hey what do I know.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Generally in 1s applications a strong rotor is not better. The lower voltage doesn't produce enough power to spool up a motor with strong rotor. But hey what do I know.
I was told the same thing. However, there are a couple of guys at my club carpet track that are doing it, mainly though gearing. Sometimes, just when you think that something is etched in stone, someone comes along and blows holes in conventional thinking.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Wuz up Juan, and thanks again for truing my tirers.

The reason I asked this question is because I ran a d3 all weekend in 12th and the motor was very consistent thru-out the run. Other than the fact I had radio issues and really didn't get a chance to compare motors, I too thought the d2 was a little faster in single cell classes.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Wuz up Juan, and thanks again for truing my tirers.

The reason I asked this question is because I ran a d3 all weekend in 12th and the motor was very consistent thru-out the run. Other than the fact I had radio issues and really didn't get a chance to compare motors, I too thought the d2 was a little faster in single cell classes.
Not a problem T; that is what we are suppose to do, help each other out. That last main, I seemed to have some radio issues as well; glitched on me a few times. I might have to switch from my Spektrum module system to my FAAST system if it continues.

Unfortunately, when I came into the brushless 12th scale scene, I missed out on the Duo 1 & 2 motor era. Knowing what I know now, I wish I bought one or two when they were to motors to have. I switched my motor to the Revtech on Sunday and my car felt faster as compared to my D3.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

What about the Speed Passion 1S motors?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Juan, I've already ordered the new Radiopost transmitter and 2 receivers.

Asked Andrew about radio problems at Mikes and he said the Spektrum modules have issues. Both my sedan and 12th scale had problems with signal consistency. They ran as if the signal was cutting in and out when I was on the track during qualifiers and a couple of my mains.

Hope this fixes my problem.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Juan, I've already ordered the new Radiopost transmitter and 2 receivers.

Asked Andrew about radio problems at Mikes and he said the Spektrum modules have issues. Both my sedan and 12th scale had problems with signal consistency. They ran as if the signal was cutting in and out when I was on the track during qualifiers and a couple of my mains.

Hope this fixes my problem.
Thanks for the info T. I had a feeling that it was a Spektrum issue. Guess I will be changing over fully to the FAAST system for all my indoor electric stuff (TC, F1, 4wd buggy, and SC). I may get a 4PL for my indoor stuff and keep my 3PK with my FAAST module system for all my outdoor nitro stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.