R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
Default Costs, Regulations, Specs

I would like to get ideas from anyone out there that would help to:

1. Make the HOBBY of R/C Car racing even more enjoyable,

2. Make racing for the EVERYDAY/NORMAL Racer more cost effective and less costly,

3. Get the Manufacturers attention of what OUR, the consumer needs are,

4. Get the Sanctioning Body's attention to HEAR what racers, hobby shops and track owners are saying,

I thoroughly enjoy the HOBBY of R/C Car racing,,,On-Road, Off-Road, Nitro, Gas or Electric. I've been involved in the R/C Hobbies since the 70's and in R/C Cars since 1982. I'm a Hobbiest, a Racer, A former Hobby Shop and Off-Road Track Owner. I am also an accomplished fixed wing and rotor-wing R/C pilot.

Recently, I got involved in a topic here at RC Tech about 4 Cell Touring Car Racing. The subject was very interesting and controversial. And it got off subject several times, but with very interesting topics.

So I am opening this topic up to POSITIVE ideas to help make things even better, more competitive and more cost effective.

And I'll start off with my idea for 1/10 Electric Touring Car.

2 National Classes:
1 additonal class for Club/Local racing

Spec, Open and RTR/Stock

Any manufacturer production car and modifications with set measurement specs (weight, measurements, etc).

19 turn non-adjustable motors.
3300 mah ONLY batteries.
CS-27 or equivelent rubber tires or equivelent foam tires where weather or track surface dictates. (we don't race carpet here).

The aim of Spec is to eventually change over to Brushless Systems
within a one year period. At that time ALL must use Brushless Systems of equal performance.

Batteries must be regulated. The 3 main costs of Touring car Racing are, Batteries, Tires and Motors. By setting a standard, some equality can be gained and costs can be minimized. By setting a battery limit, it doesn't become the capacity of the week competition. Battery capacities may be changed in a 2 or 3 year rules change. By going to Brushless Systems, this eliminates the need for high quantities of motors, brushed motor maintenance (comm cutting, brushes, adjustments, good motors, bad motors).
Spec tires also creates some equality, and because of supply and demand, SHOULD make prices more affordable.

Open to Mass Produced, Factory Modified of Prototype Cars. Set standards of measurements must be adhered to (weight and measurements). However there is no limitation of battery or motor technology. Let this be the testing and proving ground for new technologies.

At Club/Local events this class should be limited RTR or low end BASIC types of R/C Touring Cars. These cars should not have and performance based modifications (graphite, ti, etc). This is a class which should be a beginners type of class. Limiting factors should be based on OEM RTR configurations. Examples of such are: RTR TC3, RTR Losi XXXs, Trintiy Spec, etc. Clubs and Track operators may set standards of which to run by.

Both classes for race qualifying and main events standards at club/local events.

Club/Local events 2 or 3----6 minute qualifying rounds
dependant upon time constraints.
1----8 minute main event

These are just some of my own personal ideas. What I am asking for is anyone else ideas. Don't let this become a bitch session of what is wrong. Everyone knows and has their own ideas of what is wrong. Come up with positive ideas and maybe the powers to be might listen or better yet, might even hear. Also keep in mind, that for everyone but about 1%, this is a HOBBY. Only a VERY FEW get the privilage of doing this for a job/living.
blownawayig is offline   Reply With Quote