Wiki Posts
Search

Track Questions - size - drivers stand.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Track Questions - size - drivers stand.

Until recently... we had to put up our track on Thursday..race Friday night...then tear it down that night. (made for some late nights...or very early mornings..depending on how you look at it)

We've been fortunate that somebody is going to "lease" us 5000sqft for less then $800 a month...all utilities paid. and they will not lease it from under us during the summer..when we dont' run. (yay)

Our track is currently 36x60 and we've never had the pleasure of using a drivers stand (on a regular basis). I'm curious what other people have as far as size of track and size of driversstand. I read in the "roar rule book" that they suggest 30" for EACH driver. This makes the stand about 20' long for the potential of 10 drivers (although we've never ran 10 drivers in 1 race...track too small). I also noticed based on some pics of other tracks, that clubs are building there drivers-stand right up AGAINST the track.

I was thinking of building the drivers stand back 6-12" from the track, 20' long and about 12"-18" above the floor. What are ya'lls thoughts? Have any pictures?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

here is a pic of my local race tracks drivers stand
Attached Thumbnails Track Questions - size - drivers stand.-dscf0217.jpg  
Old 01-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the pic..do you happen to know how tall? how far away from the track? Seems like if it's taller, it should sit further back from the track? Does anybody every complain about being too high...or too low?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:57 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Our track is 75x36 and the drivers stand is 2 feet tall and 20' long (4' is a wheel chair area). The stand is 2' back from the track and everyone pretty much likes it. Sounds like you are on the right track (no pun intended).
Old 01-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Yes PLEASE dont ever put the drivers stand against the track if you can at all help it.
This makes for some bad spot racing.

50x80 is a good measurement.If you can make it longer then by all means do so.

Goodluck with your venture.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Along w/this topic, is there anything else that people like about their local track? Or if you were getting a "permanent" type building vs a takedown/setup every week...what kind of things would you like to see...(within reason....brass poles and dancing girls would be nice, but I don't think It would fly with a lot of the parents....or the female racers either...but ya never know. )
Old 01-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by acyrier
Along w/this topic, is there anything else that people like about their local track? Or if you were getting a "permanent" type building vs a takedown/setup every week...what kind of things would you like to see...(within reason....brass poles and dancing girls would be nice, but I don't think It would fly with a lot of the parents....or the female racers either...but ya never know. )
clean bathrooms that have paper towels so you can dry your hands. if you want the PERFECT bathroom. check out the 4Fun Hobbies racetrack. beautiful track...and super clean bathroom. Scott runs a good show there. (www.4funhobbiesandraceway.com)
Old 07-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Sorry for the dead thread revival.

I'm about to build a stand for our 40' x 100 ' indoor carpet track and thought I would check to see if anyone had anything to add to this thread that hadn't been mentioned. Here's what were thinking so far is the "optimum" design.

2' back from the carpet
24' long
39" high platform with 36" railing
5 step stringers on left and right sides of stand for entry and exit
40" deep front to back

The stand will be built where you see the bleachers now ...

Any more pics would be great as well!!
Attached Thumbnails Track Questions - size - drivers stand.-photo.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you have young children racing, remember to accomodate their needs when creating a driver's stand. A child may need to stand on something to see properly with a 36" trackside railing.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Regional Moderator

Instead of 5 steps, consider ramps that are wheelchair accessible. Also, if the drivers stand isn't backed up to a wall, I'd put a solid railing across the back to prevent people falling off the back.

39" high is probably overkill. At the Gate (and the 2009 Carpet Nats), the driver's stand we used was 24" high.

One suggestion, if you ever will have the need to move it to another facility, is to make it modular so it is easily movable. After we take the front railing off, each section is unbolted and flipped on its side, which has casters.

Track and stand pics here: http://www.clevelandcarpetracing.com/news.htm
Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Instead of 5 steps, consider ramps that are wheelchair accessible. Also, if the drivers stand isn't backed up to a wall, I'd put a solid railing across the back to prevent people falling off the back.

39" high is probably overkill. At the Gate (and the 2009 Carpet Nats), the driver's stand we used was 24" high.

One suggestion, if you ever will have the need to move it to another facility, is to make it modular so it is easily movable. After we take the front railing off, each section is unbolted and flipped on its side, which has casters.

Track and stand pics here: http://www.clevelandcarpetracing.com/news.htm
Personally, with regard to the drivers stand I like them as high as possible, it makes it far easier to judge how close when side by side to another car in the same lane.

At two of our indoor winter championships, roughly 30m*16m, the rostrum is on a first floor balcony.

At one point we were allowed to use either the balcony, or the wooden boxes (around 30" tall), only one person used the boxes, everyone else preffered the inconvience of going up to the next floor.

This could also make the racing closer as distances can be far easier to judge.

Skiddins