Press release: Stormer Hobbies brings back the 1/10 Parma 235mm Osella >

Press release: Stormer Hobbies brings back the 1/10 Parma 235mm Osella

Press release: Stormer Hobbies brings back the 1/10 Parma 235mm Osella

Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Press release: Stormer Hobbies brings back the 1/10 Parma 235mm Osella

Parma #10233

Pulled from the original Osella mold by Parma, exclusively for Stormer Hobbies! The original mold was made in 1984, and these are a great 235mm pan car body with the true vintage flair, and feel we all love. A bit more round on the nose than the TOJ to help keep you out of trouble. Excellent performing body with lot's of downforce to help keep your favorite race car planted!

These bodys are being pulled from the Original Parma mold, by Parma, exclusively for Stormer Hobbies.

These new Osella's have the overspray film on them (old ones, no film), and we had Parma engrave a "K" on the lower back part of the body mold, that wouldn't be on the originals. The K is to show respect and give props to Parma founder Ken MacDowell, and show it's a current pull of the body. It's on the back, on the piece you trim off. But it's there, and I think it's important to show that respect for both Ken, Parma, and the collector crowd.

We kinda guess that they were originally discontinued about 1991-1992 or so, and now they're back home here at Stormer. Race them, or put them on your shelf queen. Stormer had the Osella's made for you, and we're proud to bring back a small piece of history for all of us.

Note from Bob Stormer: "... I'm glad we did this. This body is a rich part of our 1/10 pan history, and I remember tearing up a fair amount of these back in the day. Great handling body, right there with the TOJ. Just to look at it, the Osella puts a smile on my face. I hope it does for you too."

Parma #10233 clear 235mm Osella body. Car not included.

Body thickness: .030"
Protective film: YES

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...pl?pn=PAR10233
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Looks great. Do you have a pic of the real car? I found some 1:1 Osella's but they don't seem to be from that specific type of car.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

I had to look all this up. I love the vintage Can-am stuff but don't follow it. So some of this information may be inaccurate, but it's probably close.

the look, the feel of the cars back then was so much different from the way it is now. Back then, you strapped into a car, made laps and set it up. "Hows it gonna work? ...We have no idea...". Now, the cars are largely tuned in the shop and taken to the track.

1973 Osella PA1 wrong nose, but wing idea is there.

Osella PA2, lotta wing.

PA3, shape getting closer
Old 02-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow , just beautiful ! I've never raced a pan car chassis Bob, but something like this could get me to try it. Then again....anything Vintage is on my hot list.
Nicely Done !!!
Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Osella is an Italian stuff.... so let an Italian do the job....

Basically the Parma Osella (in 1/10 or in 1/12) is representing the Osella PA8/PA9.

The car as been used (and abused) in hill climbimg races.

As been used also in circuit. Mainly with BMW 2 litre engines

If you broke the piggy bank... and want to buy the real thing....

Is for sale... just 3 hours driving time from my house....

This one might be consider "works" colours for track, while the baby blue was the trademark of Mauro Nesti, probably the greatest hill climber. He won European titles for decades....
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Thing about 235mm pan is that people ruin it every time. The cars can be riduclous fast. We had a radar gun at an indoor race on a 48x120 carpet track, going 55+mph indoors. Fun? YEA BUDDY! could any of us drive them in any kind of orderly fashion? Sadly, no. Complete mess, and nobody wants to be a part of it.

You gotta find the speed where the top 3-4 guys absolutely bitch that the cars are to slow (and your ruining the class is what they'll tell you), and then race them that way. If the bitchy guys quit, all the better. For everybody else, the racing will be excellent, the cars will last and you'll have fun. and you can follow, and be followed, and pick a line. ACTUALLY RACE!!! Just better racing than the old "Grip-it, Rip-it, Hang-on" method of rc racing we have now.

Imagine actually racing the car. Very seldom do I find myself on the line any more with a race car. It's a well managed accident waiting to happen. With the exception of perhaps the top 2 drivers out of 100 in any area of the world, cars are to fast for all of us to have a proper racing experience.

And if you want to see proper racing, watch this.
I think mod cars then are about what 17.5 Blinky is now... in fact, Mod then, may have been slower, watch and gauge as the best drivers in the world lay it down.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-16-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

body says pa9 on the back. It's odd for me to see somebody human in the cockpit, as the Osella has always been a model car body in my mind. Weird to see it full size.

It's kinda like, "Look, somebody made a full size Osella!!" instead of the other way around.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Making too much sense Bob.

Wishing something like this would pop up at my local track.
Vintage pan (Can Am) or group C at a tame speed.
Would be fun as all hell and look fantastic on the track.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for bringing back those awesome bodyshells for 235 mm pro10 cars. We are still people driving them in Europe on outdoor asphalt even in the winter !!!

Dou you have a European distributor?

Regards
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Making too much sense Bob.

Wishing something like this would pop up at my local track.
Vintage pan (Can Am) or group C at a tame speed.
Would be fun as all hell and look fantastic on the track.
One of our local oval classes we race here. I wrote the rules and stick to my guns. A good friend of mine was constantly griping the cars are to slow. Even though the racing is EXCELLENT! I told him to sell his stuff, 30 happy people versus one un-happy. No brainer. Gotta go with the masses. He did sell his stuff. Good it's what needed to happen, don't need anybody sour taking the fun out of race night.

Gotta lay down the law. even if it's not popular to your friends. They understand, if you handle it right. the guy that got his oval stuff is now SUPER happy, and a fun guy. Total win all the way around. traded an unhappy racer for an enthusiastic racer with a good attitude. mind you, he was only unhappy because I wouldn't make a faster class, or allow the cars to be sped up.

If you don't like the speed, or the class, it's not for you. Go buy a bowling ball or go fishing. The rest of us are RACING! and having a great time. One sour guy, or somebody griping, trying to stir stuff up, ruins the fun for everybody. Gotta nip it in the bud. I'm having fun on race night like everybody else. I don't want to hear about it. I'm trying to have fun, this is my fun time!

Originally Posted by rokosam
Thanks for bringing back those awesome bodyshells for 235 mm pro10 cars. We are still people driving them in Europe on outdoor asphalt even in the winter !!!

Dou you have a European distributor?

Regards
nope. they don't sell well enough for something like that. since I had the TOJ's made, guess how many have sold total, world wide? the correct answer is "6", and I have one of the 6 and gave another one away to Tallyrc. It's a labor of love, stuff like this will never sell well, and that's okay with me. It's just to obscure. I love them and it's important to me. just like the "K" on the back of the body. It was important to me that it was put there. and here we are.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-16-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

I'll one up your photos with a PA-9 in car video!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
Old 02-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Looks great. Do you have a pic of the real car? I found some 1:1 Osella's but they don't seem to be from that specific type of car.
I think rather than creating an Osella, Parma took the TOJ, removed the radiator duct from the front to smooth it, then looked for a full size car it looked like.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Initiate

a little exactoblade wouldnt hurt
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Bob,

Please post rules you would like to see for a 235mm fun class . I seriously would love to run this as an outdoor summer class on asphalt.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Bob,

Please post rules you would like to see for a 235mm fun class . I seriously would love to run this as an outdoor summer class on asphalt.
Been a while since I looked at 235mm that way. Whatever it is, you need to take into account the track size. take an honest look at your racers, and start there. It's always, "ALWAYS" easier to start slow and make the cars faster later on. Once you open that door, or cross that line, it's nearly impossible to go back.

I think most people would be flat surprised at how fast even a tamiya silver can motor can be on 2s in a pan car. And it's not the speed that's important, it's the quality of the racing that you are looking for.

You'll know if you hit it right if 3-6 guys out of 100 complain it's boring or to slow and they quit... GOOD!. the rest will have excellent racing. the kind where you can go high with the car, go low, put your nose in for a peak. Stuff normally reserved for factory pro's. B-main club guys can get that experience if the rules are good.

I'd rather be 2 laps down than 6. Think about the gaps in the finishing positions in your local racing.

what gets raced on a national level should be utterly ignored. What's best for your guys and your club is what's really important. people are afraid to experiment with the classes. I think, for the most part, all the classes I've written rules for have been pretty successful. But I practice with them, and look for errors before announcing the idea. I spent a LOT of time with silver can 1/12th a few years ago. Man, that was fun. I wrote a class for a car show race we do called 'bombers' using the silver cans on 2s in a 200mm pan car with a 56 chevy body on it. Then I made a gizmo that I called "the Judge". The Judge is basically a bicycle speedometer on a rolling RC dyno. We pick an imaginary mph number for the cars to all hit, let's say it's 80mph (it's probably only 20mph, but that's not the point). It's kind of like "rollout" but more accurate because it tells exactly what the car is doing. your junky battery may only be putting out 6.8 volts compared to another guys 7.2 but you both hit 80mph when tuned. Way better than rollout, in my minds eye for a fun class. You have to put your car on the Judge and set your speedo so that whatever happens, at full throttle, your car doesn't hit 80mph when it comes off the track, when you pull full throttle on the trigger. Yes, it can be cheated by turning the nob on your transmitter. Do people cheat it? I don't think so. We're all watching each other. And if you have to cheat to win for a race where there is no trophy, you've missed the point completely. 2 years later it's the biggest class. And not because it's the fastest, but because it's the funnest! It's stressful watching your car on the judge. "please don't go over 80, please don't go over 80.... " it's a good time. And everybody crowds around to watch. A few guys will be extra daring, and hit the track with a car that says 82mph hoping the battery dumps enough so that it's under 80 by the time the race is over. Lot of fun in it. and the last time we raced it, I almost didn't make the show, and a guy that normally doesn't win, WON! That's perfect in my eyes, utterly perfect. And everybody had a great time. Nobody griped about car speed, or something they didn't have that other guys did.

We have a car show race featuring the bombers coming up in about a month. I bet we have 50 cars entered in that class, the 1/12th 13.5 open speedo class, probably 6. What does that tell ya? Know your racers, and know when to tell the fast guys, "dude, you're taking the fun out of this for everybody else." either slow down your car on purpose, run a different class, or quit. But you can't take the fun out of this for everybody else. Always one guy, 2-4 laps up. Gotta watch out for that guy.

The Canadian crew we race with in the WCICS series. lot of griping about cheating in the mini-cooper class. So they re-wrote the rules to include a particular brushless motor and speedo in the mini-coopers. I think it's funny that the everybody thought it would tighten up the racing, it didn't. The slower guys quit trying so hard, convinced that it was just the motors. The faster guys still work on their stuff. And the gap has gotten bigger. BUT, the complaining about motors is utterly gone, and particpation in the class is UP. so a good decision. Even though these cars are only good in that series now. But that's all thats important, if you race in that series. Comes down to the old, "don't worry about running something because they run it elsewhere" argument. Just run what works for your guys. and mix it up!

Even mandating a particular body can be fun, the "Porsche cup" class, whatever it takes to keep interest in your area.

I'm a fan of racing real looking cars. I know when we do racing at full size car show events, the spectators all come out to watch VTA and cheer for the Fords or the Mustangs. 1/12 starts... they all leave.

Whatever gets racers on the track and puts a smile on their face. That's what I want.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 02-16-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.