Why are we Dumbing down our hobby??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Claydoh
Oh, tell your mom I'm busy
Old 01-14-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

Bah, you should have read what I posted before that then edited it out. I guess the pratts crying about rtr's and such just bugs me. What does it matter how someone finds their way into this sport? From what I have gathered and seen for myself, less and less people are racing and thats bad. Want to tear up less stuff? Not have to spend as much? Just don't. And when you get "out battery'd" just shrug it off. After all, it's just racing.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:41 PM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I dont blame anything the people are doing or purchasing trends for altering racing. I blame the mfg's who tack on an insane margin on most products making it hardly possible for most people to be able to afford to race.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Claydoh
Bah, you should have read what I posted before that then edited it out. I guess the pratts crying about rtr's and such just bugs me. What does it matter how someone finds their way into this sport? From what I have gathered and seen for myself, less and less people are racing and thats bad. Want to tear up less stuff? Not have to spend as much? Just don't. And when you get "out battery'd" just shrug it off. After all, it's just racing.
less and less people are racing because tracks are hidden. And thanks to the powers that be jobs keep going abroad and money going to forgin countries which might have something to do with it.
people in general dont have the luxury anymore having fear their job might be cancled and sent overseas. And dont do expensive hobbies! They want to save for a rainy day! Thats one of the major reasons.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Clegg
I dont blame anything the people are doing or purchasing trends for altering racing. I blame the mfg's who tack on an insane margin on most products making it hardly possible for most people to be able to afford to race.
lets bitch at nascar and cart to make racing cheaper so that we can all race!
Old 01-14-2005, 11:05 PM

Material costs are one thing, margins are another. High end materials cost high end money. But some of the crap the R/C industry pushes off as high end items are made of materials real race engineers would laugh at. ANd we buy it up. The corruption in the R/C industry rivals that of the Diamond monopolies, oil cartels, etc... (not in scale or size, but in the net effect).

But thats all besides the point... I was just saying if stuff was sold at a reasonable cost more of the time, then the "fear" of racing like someone metioned above would be less.

I think one thing that I am getting out of this thread (as far as dumbing down the hobby), is this "hobby" or "sport" or "fun" is 100% fucked no matter what an answer is. The fact is there is no answer since all of this is not a technical issue to solve. Its human nature, and no one knows how to troubleshoot that Its also the "lets make everyone happy" PC world we live in now that makes everyone think they just because they CAN do something that they SHOULD do it... and if they dont have fun at it, its always the other persons fault for being too fast, to agressive or out spending them.

and no Jeff, R/C racing shouldnt be anymore expensive. R/C is a hobby that costs a lot as it is. As Stan has said "Anyone who says R/C is cheap is a liar or just in denial". I am fine with people who want to "dumb down" their r/c fun to fit their needs. But I also know that gives me a distinct advantage in the long run on them since I do put the time and money and effort into my cars and my training in R/C.

I love slackers, because I can beat them
Old 01-14-2005, 11:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by speedxl
less and less people are racing because tracks are hidden. And thanks to the powers that be jobs keep going abroad and money going to forgin countries which might have something to do with it.
people in general dont have the luxury anymore having fear their job might be cancled and sent overseas. And dont do expensive hobbies! They want to save for a rainy day! Thats one of the major reasons.

Wait a minute here,people save? NOT! it's a known fact that American's have more debt than anything,people can't or won't save, much less spend money on expensive hobbies.The avg family has $8000 worth of credit card debt and the avg family has less than $2000 in savings.I know this is a whole different subject but it's not fear that drives people into debt it's stupidity.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:22 PM

Also gas prices. I know if I have to drive 1 hour to get to a track factoring in the current gas prices can directly affect if someone will travel to race. Ive seen it around here a bit already.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

The bottom line is the middle class is or has diassapeared and the rich are getting richer.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

When certain people scare away enough newcomers from this hobby, they can really thank themselves for dumbing up the hobby, while they're playing with their little toy cars in front of their house, because all the tracks and shops are gone....
Old 01-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Hyper1
The bottom line is the middle class is or has diassapeared and the rich are getting richer.
Ah, the benefits of living in a plutocracy(I am speaking of the U.S. of course).
Old 01-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

That is total bs.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Keep telling yourself that.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Its only going to get worse it has happend or always has been like that in the rest of the world. Its catching up now to us.
The social stratisfication ladder is get taller for the richer and the step to get there is getting widder between the middle class and them. The lower class is intregrating with the middle until its on big clump called the poor. Unfortunatly it will be the privilaged and the none privilaged.
Its like that everywhere else.

It sucks but what can we do if the guys at power are the rich eliete. Untill a real person gets elected we will get worse. Wait it cost money to run for office.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

What can we do? It's called revolution. It worked for the French, they just killed all the rich.

The problem is the ignorant flag wavers. Saying something is great a thousand times doesn't make it true. Only by pointing out problems will we get them solved. But being selfish seems to be the norm so just keep stepping over the homeless, wasting gas in your suv and one day, if you believe the lies, you can be rich too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.