Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are we Dumbing down our hobby??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rayhuang
This thread has a lot of meaning for me because one of my old Karting buddies asked me to get him inot RC racing!!! I more than happily obliged-but not without a LOT of guilt or anxiety. Hes a grown man-he has a good job. But still-I want his introduction to this sport to be both easy as well as inexpensive.

The cost of entry is staggering if you dont have "friends" in the sport. There is not one thing on his car that is new. Use TC3, used tires, used bodies and i loaned him packs, esc and servo. He bought his own nice radio and car and charger-I set it all upfor him and basically have just told him to drive it as much as he can and he has.

So-the problem as it relates to dumbing down the sport is this-how does one make the introduction to RC racing for a newcomer easier, fun, enriching, cost effective-all the while hoping to not dilute the process so much that longterm he does not have the neccesary tools to succeed on his own?

There needs to be some spoonfeeding up front. KISS applies here-Keep It Simple Stupid.
How simple if everybody lent a hand to someone it woul make it easier. But some guys have big egoes and wont.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree entirley Ray, but does your buddy expect to show up at the Gate this Sunday and stomp everybody in stock TC? Since he's a kart racer I assume he understands that a learning curve exists, and I bet he'll accept that and do what he can to pick up the game.

Like I said, a Novice class, with strict motor and battery rules could really help this situation.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: First, what is the definition of dumbing down the hobby?

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I've always dreamed about a class, where things were so even, that it was a matter of skills, not money. But is it possible to implement that in the real world?

And again, I enjoy researching and (maybe) find some stuff, that might give me an advantage
Me too!! My sig line on our UK forum is 'The ultimate rc racing is A-F-F-O-R-D-A-B-L-E, fun and FAIR' I believe in making racing easier for most people to go faster without having to spend out lots of £££ (or $$$ etc!!) and to me brushless is the way to go. It's not dumbing down neither is RTR it's all about getting more people into racing.

I'm involved in developing a new leading edge competition brushless ESC in the UK that will, along with all the other BL ESC's and systems under development right now change rc racing for the better. There is no way to stop this, it's called p-r-o-g-r-e-s-s ! ! !

And don't worry for those that like to do researching and tuning etc, like Cole Trickle says there's always some stuff that might give you an advantage, you just need to take the time to find it because if you don't then someone else will!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by speedxl
How simple if everybody lent a hand to someone it woul make it easier. But some guys have big egoes and wont.
YOu know a big problem with that is? 99.5469% of the newcomers wont listen!!! Wnt take advice and if they ask for advice-the answer involves more work then they are willing to put in so they do nothing.

So you take there car-do it for them in hope that once they see how easy it was and how much better there cars are-they will maintain that level of maintenance.

Some will-some wont.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by CypressMidWest
I agree entirley Ray, but does your buddy expect to show up at the Gate this Sunday and stomp everybody in stock TC?
Lets just say one of his memorable quotes after his first battery pack EVER-was "man...you guys make this look easy".
Old 01-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

YOu know a big problem with that is? 99.5469% of the newcomers wont listen!!! Wnt take advice and if they ask for advice-the answer involves more work then they are willing to put in so they do nothing.

So you take there car-do it for them in hope that once they see how easy it was and how much better there cars are-they will maintain that level of maintenance.

Some will-some wont.
Exactly!! And that was my point when I started this thread. Should we bring racing down to their level, or just give them their own "lazyman's class" to run in?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Lets just say one of his memorable quotes after his first battery pack EVER-was "man...you guys make this look easy".
I can honestly say that the guy couldn't be luckier. He's beginning his R/C experience at a track full of helpful, friendly and WICKED FAST drivers. I think that you guys will shorten the learning curve for him considerably.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

...The cost of entry is staggering if you dont have "friends" in the sport. ...
It's only staggering if you take the approach of 'you must have everything NOW'... you buy what you can afford and upgrade from there.

That's the way I did it, why can't new comers do the same? I sure that's the way many of us started.

E
Old 01-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Does someone entering this hobby NEED to show up with top of the line equipment, of course not.... I don't agree with 4 cells in a TC chassis, there is just too much weight to the car....

You could easily go grab an RTR car, 2 decent packs, decent charger, tires suited for the surface, assorted shock springs and oils and you're set....

I agree with opening up the rules for the motor manufactired to get away from the antiquated 3 segment armatures....

I do agree that our current batteries are too much for the current motors...

Instead of coming up with a new motor (which could cost Trinity, Reedy and Yokomo money) the answer is to drop 2 cells off the battery pack....

But if you think about it, it's happening in every form of racing; restrictor plates, no nitromethane, etc....

But we don't have the safety standpoint they do.... If we're looking out for turn mashall safety then we introduce the yellow flag to racing... The yellow comes out and then the marshall puts you shiny side up again....

Very few of our current cars are set up to run 4 cell packs.... Although I do have 4 cells for my 12th scale, I don't want to have to knock all my packs down to 4.... I only race during the winter.... If it's nice out and I'm bored I'll take my cars out to a lot and screw around when racing season is over.... Sometimes I'll even take my ST out and go run at the local off road track too....

Screw the 4 cells... Let's either get better brushed motors or go brushless if the latest cells are going to kill our current motors... Which they most probably are.....

Anyone wanna buy a Dyno and lathe??? Hahahaha.....
Old 01-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Well put EricF.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:50 AM
drx
Tech Regular

I don't think you should worry too much about your art racing buddy.

While racing an RC car has complexities that karts don't, Rcing a kart is demanding in time, knowledge and skill to be any kind of successfull - even on a club level.

I came out of karting myself, and I'm what many people would call "older". While I found the transition from karts to be challenging, it wasn't what I'd call difficult or overly frustrating. In fact, I've found it to be more enoyable in some respects that karts were.

I didn't have all that much trouble, and I doubt that your friend will.

</Drx>

This thread has a lot of meaning for me because one of my old Karting buddies asked me to get him inot RC racing!!! I more than happily obliged-but not without a LOT of guilt or anxiety. Hes a grown man-he has a good job. But still-I want his introduction to this sport to be both easy as well as inexpensive.

The cost of entry is staggering if you dont have "friends" in the sport. There is not one thing on his car that is new. Use TC3, used tires, used bodies and i loaned him packs, esc and servo. He bought his own nice radio and car and charger-I set it all upfor him and basically have just told him to drive it as much as he can and he has.

So-the problem as it relates to dumbing down the sport is this-how does one make the introduction to RC racing for a newcomer easier, fun, enriching, cost effective-all the while hoping to not dilute the process so much that longterm he does not have the neccesary tools to succeed on his own?

There needs to be some spoonfeeding up front. KISS applies here-Keep It Simple Stupid.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

The problem is that all you people that believe in evolution are thwarting it. Some moron on a motorcycle wipes out doing something stupid and thumps his mellon, what do you do? You rush him to the hospital and revive him. You need to let the stupid gene evolve out of the pool! Life isn't fair but whine until you make it close. Now racing isn't fair, I can't beat someone who works on his car all the time and I don't. Racing isn't fair because I can't beat someone who spends money on it and I don't. Racing isn't fair because I can't beat someone who practices all the time and I don't. Well let's wave a magic wand and fix it ... TADA. Now what? I know let's go to school because it isn't fair that the fat kid can't beat the skinney kid at track. It doesn't matter that the skinney kid runs all the time and eats properly unlike the fat kid who's crack ho mom takes him to micky dees everday to eat. I know how we can fix it, let's amputate one of the skinney kids leg, that would make it fair. Now that we solved every bodies problem what's next?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

JCTC3...
Old 01-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JCTC3
The problem is that all you people that believe in evolution are thwarting it. Some moron on a motorcycle wipes out doing something stupid and thumps his mellon, what do you do? You rush him to the hospital and revive him. You need to let the stupid gene evolve out of the pool! Life isn't fair but whine until you make it close. Now racing isn't fair, I can't beat someone who works on his car all the time and I don't. Racing isn't fair because I can't beat someone who spends money on it and I don't. Racing isn't fair because I can't beat someone who practices all the time and I don't. Well let's wave a magic wand and fix it ... TADA. Now what? I know let's go to school because it isn't fair that the fat kid can't beat the skinney kid at track. It doesn't matter that the skinney kid runs all the time and eats properly unlike the fat kid who's crack ho mom takes him to micky dees everday to eat. I know how we can fix it, let's amputate one of the skinney kids leg, that would make it fair. Now that we solved every bodies problem what's next?
Now that is the best post on this thread.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Tech Initiate

SELFISH MOTIVES, GREED, FEELING THREATENED BY THE ADVANCEMENT OF TECHNOLOGY AND TWEAKING RULES TO BENEFIT THE FEW ARE WHAT'S DUMBING THIS HOBBY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.