Tire truer issues... >

Tire truer issues...

Tire truer issues...

Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Tire truer issues...

Need some help guys..

I just got back into running 1/12 scale, and went ahead and bought an OFNA manual truer. The issue I'm having is trying to get the wheels to mount up correctly on the arbor. Seems like no matter how tight (or loose) I tighten the arbor on the wheel, I can't get the wobble out of it. I noticed it on the first set I did. Thought everything was working great til I mounted them on the car. Looked like they'd never seen a truer. I've done a few more sets since then - really watching the runout before cutting them.

The arbor is new...there is no runout in the truer shaft itself.

Is there some trick to mounting the wheels on the arbor that I'm missing?

I've even gone so far as to very lightly ream the inside of the mounting hole of the rim to ensure there's no flashing material left. Even tires that I've cut to rough size, I have to spend alot of time loosening, tightening, fidgeting with the way it's mounted - just to try and get it running true enough to finish cut it.

Becoming such a pain in the butt, I'd rather almost just run them straight out of the box. Any tricks or tips would be appreciated....
Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have no experience with your truing machine but I have turned 2 arbors from rod stock to fit the various brands of rims. In doing so I found out the rims are different in size from company to company. So your arbor way work best on one brand. The rears were the most work to make a arbor fit. What arbor are you using? I was happy with the fit of Jacos and CRC rims on a Hudy arbor.

Are you having trouble with both front and rears? If so then it may be run out on the arbor. Try remounting the arbor to machine. If its just the rears then you may need a different arbor. How are you measuring run out?

Also the rims are not perfect so you have to mount and verify that the rim is seated on the arbor correctly first. If you feel the the rim is seated well disregard the outer part of the rim wobbling and true it. Then you will end up with the foam true when mounted on the car. If you try to compensate for the rim then it will be a mess when you mount it on the car. The goal is the running surface of the foam to run true to the mounting hub of the rim.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What arbor are you using?

I have the Ofna manual truer. I ended up using the CRC arbor to get control of wobble. Mounted up and worked perfectly first try. Been perfect for over a year with no adjustments necessary. Mounts the tire nice and flat. I've found that I have to seat the wheel onto the arbor, then hand tighten pretty hard. Haven't had any trouble.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply....
Sounds like it might be wise to mount the new wheels on the car first & see if there's any runout to begin with. Should give a pretty good indication of how they should run on the truer. I may be creating more problems than I'm trying to fix....
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Buckaroo.....thanks
I believe I've got the OFNA arbor. Had to buy it separate & don't remember which one it was. I've tried barely snugging to as tight as I could get it & everything in between. Very inconsistent.