Wiki Posts
Search

New to RC Drift!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC Drift!

Hello all,

I just got into the RC drifting about 2 months ago. My little cousin had one I tried it, liked it and decided I would get one to have something to do with him and spend more time together.

I picked up a Sprint 2 Sport from a LHS and became completly obsessed lol. I love every aspect of the hobby and I just keep getting more and more into the hobby.

With the amount of research I have done on it, and with what I know now I wouldn't of gone with the sprint 2, but since I did, I am going to try and get the most potential out of it.

So far iv upgraded alot on it:
Brushless Castle 5700kv 4pole w/ESC - Castle Link
SAVOX SC-1257TG Servo
Novak Glitch buster
HPI Rear diff lock
HPI Oneway front diff
HPI Universal Dogbones
Exotek Carbon Fiber bottem deck, top deck, front post brace.
HPI Woven graphite Front & Rear shock towers
RPM 4-40 ball cups
Shaved C-Hubs

I have already gotten a bunch of wheels and painted some body's etc. So far I like using Raikou tires the best.

Right now it slides really good, its mostly used in parkinglots, bball courts etc.. Im in Queens NY and don't know of any tracks around.

The biggest thing I now want to do is CS mod. I am going to try the 53% CS by changing rear belt and pully. I already got my 62t belt and still waiting for the Losi pully.

Some things I need suggestions on is
- What springs to get front/rear, or invest in a coilover tupe setup.
- What/how much weight should I add to the front of chassis (since its a rear mounted motor =( )
- Are there any "How to's" online about installing the 53% CS mod?
- I used the Castle link to turn power down to 85% beacause 100% is just insane to have for drifting little plastic tires. I am currently just running the stock spur/pinion...are there any different sizes that may be more benificial? cooler motor temps?
-Anything else that might be nice to have to make the sprint 2 a better drift chassis.

I am new at this so any input would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. would of posted pictures but I dont have enough posts yet.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know that you under drive the front axle so that you have to keep the wheel turned to get it to drift. I think that means a bigger pulley on the front or a smaller on the rear. Either way I think thats how it goes.

The Genki guy has different size pulleys. I would ask him about the application before I jumped.
http://www.driftmission.com
http://www.rcdriftclub.com/forum/
http://http://www.genkidoridori.com/...ain_page=index
Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Adept

I found it pretty easy to drift my Sprint 2 Flux at bone stock with drift tires. Took a bit to get the hang of and I certainly wasn't as pretty as the modded guys but it still worked.

Basically don't over think it. Learn to drift what you got and then adjust once you know where it's weak.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

i would start off with no cs just keep it 50/50 till you get use to it then stepup to a better chassis as you will find out that the sprin 2 need a lot of work
Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by td-civ
i would start off with no cs just keep it 50/50 till you get use to it then stepup to a better chassis as you will find out that the sprin 2 need a lot of work
Agreed.

Cs is awesome, not gonna lie. I have it on my car (yokomo) but then I've been drifting since before drift car kits, before PVC tires even.

For your HPI, did you use the HPI wheely king locker, or just lock the stock gearset modified. The wheely king fits in the sprint 2 diff. Try HPI orange springs.

HPI offers a cs kit for a diff. car, and you can adapt them to the sprint2 but it requires mods.

For more info. http://www.drccentral.com/forums/index.php?showforum=21

Momo
Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey, Thanks for all the info everyone.

I used the actual HPI rear diff lock and just dropped it in instead of glueing gears together or whatever.

I will try the HPI orange springs out.

And I agree with all of you, I am going to stay with my hopped up Sprint 2 and just keep practicing 50/50 drift with it. I really want CS but I will stick with 50/50 for now until I am ready for a chassis upgrade.

I think when I upgrade I want to go with the MST VIP, but ill see whats out when the time comes. for now ill just look ugly drifting around turning into drifts
Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Also since I was on the CS craze and was determined to get my Sprint 2 CS'ed. I already got my 62t rear cyclone belt and Losi 23t rear pully.

Apparently with little modification this will get my sprint 2 to 53% cs with only that. It's not that much CS but should be a fun start.

Not sure how well its going to work but there are a bunch of videos I have seen with just these 2 mods and using 53% CS.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Looks like you already put some money into the car.. Sprint is a very old design even for rubber tires. For drifting, you will have to do alot of work to get it CS ready. Weight distribution is not that big of an issue, as much as modding the steering for enough throw. You can't adjust belt tension at the diffs, like newer cars, so you have to play around with belt length to fit right without having to add tensioners.

You can mod the cassis to front-mid motor config, or add some weight in the servo area to balance the chassis to 50/50 front/rear weight for a good starting point. Front motor hype is just a gimmick.

Last edited by TubOLard; 10-18-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sorry to but in on ya thread RC-Jay but ive got a sprint 2 sport, and im in the process of converting it over to give drifting a go and i was wondering whats the differance between a one-way and locked diff?