Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What would change about the last carpet track you raced on? >

What would change about the last carpet track you raced on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would change about the last carpet track you raced on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default What would change about the last carpet track you raced on?

I watch a lot of R/C racing videos on YouTube where it seems that the tracks are too small, the lanes are too narrow, there aren't many opportunities to pass, there isn't enough room for back markers to get out of the way, or there just isn't a good place for a turn marshall to stand. I also see tracks at major events laid out with just small dots that seem to be there just to mess people up!

If you had an unlimited budget and twice the space of the last track you raced on, what would you change about the layout (or driver's stand if it was an issue) to make it better? If you wouldn't change anything, what made the layout "perfect" for racing?

BTW, if you did race on a totally awesome track, please let us know where it's located! Photo or link would be appreciated!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
I watch a lot of R/C racing videos on YouTube where it seems that the tracks are too small, the lanes are too narrow, there aren't many opportunities to pass, there isn't enough room for back markers to get out of the way, or there just isn't a good place for a turn marshall to stand. I also see tracks at major events laid out with just small dots that seem to be there just to mess people up!

If you had an unlimited budget and twice the space of the last track you raced on, what would you change about the layout (or driver's stand if it was an issue) to make it better? If you wouldn't change anything, what made the layout "perfect" for racing?

BTW, if you did race on a totally awesome track, please let us know where it's located! Photo or link would be appreciated!

Snowbirds, the carpet was just.... weird.

Edit: I'm going to elaborate. The carpet was, as far as I know, the HD Fasttrak from CRC, which is much stiffer and thicker than the carpet we have locally (3-4 years old.) It took traction in a weird manner. I believe part of it was the number of rubber sedans run in the middle of the race program, which actually took traction out of the carpet. Also, the backing the carpet was laid over wasn't plywood, but instead some kind of fiber board that I think absorbed traction from the bottom. Certainly not putting down CRC, but the carpet was just that... weird.

Last edited by Rocky8333; 02-10-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

at my local, they change the track weekly, its made of tubing, but the track gets lumpy due to humidity, and it not being strait. thats the ONLY thing to the track, sometimes i get launched up by the lumps just enough to go over the 2" barrier, and get an invalid lap D:
Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

If you are ever in the St. Louis area, you have got to run at Drew's place: ProLevel RC. smooth sub floor, good lighting, mall setting, jack, high traction & fun people to race with!
And that is a major thing...the people.
Attached Thumbnails What would change about the last carpet track you raced on?-plrc.jpg   What would change about the last carpet track you raced on?-img00439-20111119-1132.jpg  
Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocky8333
Snowbirds, the carpet was just.... weird.

Edit: I'm going to elaborate. The carpet was, as far as I know, the HD Fasttrak from CRC, which is much stiffer and thicker than the carpet we have locally (3-4 years old.) It took traction in a weird manner. I believe part of it was the number of rubber sedans run in the middle of the race program, which actually took traction out of the carpet. Also, the backing the carpet was laid over wasn't plywood, but instead some kind of fiber board that I think absorbed traction from the bottom. Certainly not putting down CRC, but the carpet was just that... weird.

i was not at the event but i could see on the camera view the road course had a real nice dark groove and the oval you could barely see the groove. from my understanding the oval part was due to the multiple tire compounds ran in the different classes.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This track gets my vote.....maybe not the absolute best carpet...but between the track, the race director (kevin cole) and the restaurant (angie) this place cannot be beat...and a pretty good hobby shop as well (bill pennington)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5rhp...ayer_embedded#!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The location, it is is three hours away. It is the closest on road carpet track to me.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bpalmer
This track gets my vote.....maybe the absolute best carpet...but between the track, the race director (kevin cole) and the restaurant (angie) this place cannot be beat...and a pretty good hobby shop as well (bill pennington)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5rhp...ayer_embedded#!
I agree. From the look of that video it looks like an incredible facility. What kind of cars are the wingless sprints? Custom works?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by wait a minute
I agree. From the look of that video it looks like an incredible facility. What kind of cars are the wingless sprints? Custom works?

i can't say for sure...the track is a 2 hour drive for me, i only make the drive for road course..but i am sure someone else from the track will most likely will know better than i . also may be more info on their website. i forgot to mention that they have a huge outdoor paved oval as well.

www.rcarindy.com
Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

i was not at the event but i could see on the camera view the road course had a real nice dark groove and the oval you could barely see the groove. from my understanding the oval part was due to the multiple tire compounds ran in the different classes.
No doubt the groove was there, but it was oddly inconsistent. Like I said before, I think the biggest factor was the amount of Rubber Tire classes, which took traction away.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sadly, most of the tracks I have raced at don't have enough pit space. Great carpet, great people, great hobby shops. But, If you can only pit 30 racers, it just isn't going to last. There needs to be room enough to pit more than will show for any given race day, call it growth or overflow space. If I had to start a track today, I'd want to put in a 120 X 70 indoor asphalt with a spectator area (grandstands if you want to call them that). Then, have the option of rolling the carpet out. Put a pit lane in front of the drivers stand and make sure the stand is high enough to look down at the track. Pit space for 100 to 150. And finally a cafe and a hobby shop on site. I'd be there.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

I believe those are Losi Sliders with no wings
Old 02-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Sadly, most of the tracks I have raced at don't have enough pit space. Great carpet, great people, great hobby shops. But, If you can only pit 30 racers, it just isn't going to last. There needs to be room enough to pit more than will show for any given race day, call it growth or overflow space. If I had to start a track today, I'd want to put in a 120 X 70 indoor asphalt with a spectator area (grandstands if you want to call them that). Then, have the option of rolling the carpet out. Put a pit lane in front of the drivers stand and make sure the stand is high enough to look down at the track. Pit space for 100 to 150. And finally a cafe and a hobby shop on site. I'd be there.
The track you seek is in Traiskirchen, Austria, which was host to the EFRA 1/10th On-Road European Championship.

Area information:
1. Indoor Track
2. Pits (hall for 180 people)
3. Parking area (130 places)
4. Camping (10 places)
5. Canteen (drinks and food + tables)
6. Toilettes and showers
7. Tribune (220-250 visitors)

Source: http://www.dmc-online.com/NeueSeite/...e_Pack.pdf1:25

Event Video:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
the track at indy is only about 3 hours from you in columbus. there are also several people that race at r/car from columbus. they can easily pit 70 -80 people with out breaking a sweat. come join us for the hurricane series on the 25th of this month. we have a bunch going from dayton and a few from columbus i am sure...not to mention those coming from illinois, michigan and wisconsin...