Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Thinking 'outside' of the 12th car box... >

Thinking 'outside' of the 12th car box...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking 'outside' of the 12th car box...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Default Thinking 'outside' of the 12th car box...

Hi guys, here's a few pics of a really nicely designed and made 12th circuit car by a guy here in the UK. I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has any pics of 'unusual' 12th designs and speak of the merits, or pitfalls of the design.

I have had a good look at this car whilst up at Ardent raceway, and it works really well. Hopefully Paul (the car designer) might pitch up on here and tell us how it works!

Cheers.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Looks cool, how well does it get around the track ?

pics of 'unusual' 12th designs Here.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Certainly different, the only problem I can see with it is its probably quite hard to get down to minimum weight.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Certainly different, the only problem I can see with it is its probably quite hard to get down to minimum weight.
Why is everyone so obsessed with minimum weight? Try using weight to fine tune your car I bet you'll be suprised with the results. 15-20 grams isn't going to slow you down (it will probably make you faster if used corectly
Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingman2
Hi guys, here's a few pics of a really nicely designed and made 12th circuit car by a guy here in the UK. I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has any pics of 'unusual' 12th designs and speak of the merits, or pitfalls of the design.

I have had a good look at this car whilst up at Ardent raceway, and it works really well. Hopefully Paul (the car designer) might pitch up on here and tell us how it works!

Cheers.
I think your idea is great. I love new designs and innovations in 12th scale

12th has the most heart IMHO and to see it still exist is an miracle in itself given the TC phenomenon and also given the onroad scene is here an there at times
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
Why is everyone so obsessed with minimum weight? Try using weight to fine tune your car I bet you'll be suprised with the results. 15-20 grams isn't going to slow you down (it will probably make you faster if used corectly
The obsession with weight is justified in that weight is the ultimate killer of acceleration and nimble handling is weight, especially in spec motor classes. Adding weight shouldn't be necessary for good handling, if you have to add weight beyond the minimum you are probably trying to remedy weight distribution problems.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

The obsession with weight is justified in that weight is the ultimate killer of acceleration and nimble handling is weight, especially in spec motor classes. Adding weight shouldn't be necessary for good handling, if you have to add weight beyond the minimum you are probably trying to remedy weight distribution problems.
I understand your point but people put to much emphasis on being at minimum weight. I ran the rev6 1/12 for a while wich was heavier than most other cars and was just as fast as any car that was at minimum weight. I'm just saying being at minimum weight isn't as inportant as some like to think if the car is efficient.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
I understand your point but people put to much emphasis on being at minimum weight. I ran the rev6 1/12 for a while wich was heavier than most other cars and was just as fast as any car that was at minimum weight. I'm just saying being at minimum weight isn't as inportant as some like to think if the car is efficient.
I remember hearing from some of the old guys at my track that back in the days of NiCd and NiHM, you didn't run one gram over minimum weight. The reason was that just a few grams extra might mean making it down the straight to the finish before the battery dumped or coming to a halt in the final corner
Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

I remember hearing from some of the old guys at my track that back in the days of NiCd and NiHM, you didn't run one gram over minimum weight. The reason was that just a few grams extra might mean making it down the straight to the finish before the battery dumped or coming to a halt in the final corner
One of my last races in 86 I remember making the last turn before the finish line and the car just kept turning in circles. Had to run down and push the car (Delta triple shock) across the finish line for my first place plaque. Good times.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
One of my last races in 86 I remember making the last turn before the finish line and the car just kept turning in circles. Had to run down and push the car (Delta triple shock) across the finish line for my first place plaque. Good times.
That's actually a quite common theme in old stories, car going in spirals at the last corner. I can't quite relate, in 1986 I was negative-two years old, I've never actually lost a race on the basis of dumping a pack that was fully charged before the buzzer went off.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

That's actually a quite common theme in old stories, car going in spirals at the last corner. I can't quite relate, in 1986 I was negative-two years old, I've never actually lost a race on the basis of dumping a pack that was fully charged before the buzzer went off.
In old stories! Try not to make me feel old please Yes I know it was a common theme in those days. It was just begining!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Lord

I have just this year. You can still dump a lipo, even in 13.5 boosted
Old 01-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
I have just this year. You can still dump a lipo, even in 13.5 boosted
I think the most I ever took out of a battery in 13.5 boosted was 3700mah, and that was on a tight, technical track with lots of accelerating. I don't think I could get it to dump in eight minutes without frying the motor. If I did that, going in little circles at the last corner would be the least of my problems.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
In old stories! Try not to make me feel old please Yes I know it was a common theme in those days. It was just begining!
Don't feel old, I'm the youngest 1/12 racer at my track by a good margin.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Imagine trying to race with the batteries we were using back then. Try running an 8 minute race with only 1400mah batteries, then you need every last ounce of power and motor choice, gear ratio and driving style were all based on reaching the end before dumping, even to the extent of having your car placed on the starting grid in finals so you never had to touch the throttle until the race started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.