R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Rubber Tire prep? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/593754-rubber-tire-prep.html)

Shortbusallstar 01-31-2012 07:56 AM

Rubber Tire prep?

So whats are most people doing for cleaing, prep & saucing.

I use lighter fluid or electric motor spray to clean, & sauce up the rear 10 min before i go out, usually still wet, i am going to try wiping them this week.

Share your tips & tricks.:spidey:

SteveM 01-31-2012 07:59 AM

I use Simple Green to clean my rubber tires. Once dry, I apply traction as required prior to a heat and just before hitting the carpet wipe the tires so as not to soil the track. I also use Simple Green after each run to wipe off any residue picked up during a heat.

lightfoot 01-31-2012 08:50 AM

Goof off to clean the tires then Jack the gripper for carpet and Buggy Grip for asphalt ... :nod:

fat man donvito 01-31-2012 09:25 AM

the best thing i found to clean your onroad tires is a mixture you can make real cheap... mix ronson lighter fluid and the higher 93% rubbing alcohol at a 50/50 ratio... it gets the tires back to brand new.... then after that i use corally 3.0 traction compound 5 min before race start... try it... youll like it

Shortbusallstar 01-31-2012 12:23 PM

Good tips cant wait to try some of these new ideas.

CarbonJoe 01-31-2012 05:23 PM

WD-40 is a very good rubber tire cleaner. It doesn't dry out the rubber, either. Get the gallon size (liquid, not the spray cans). It's about $15 / gallon at Home Depot. That amount should last several years.

nf_ekt 01-31-2012 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe (Post 10257968)
WD-40 is a very good rubber tire cleaner. It doesn't dry out the rubber, either. Get the gallon size (liquid, not the spray cans). It's about $15 / gallon at Home Depot. That amount should last several years.

The local indoor asphalt track uses it for laying down traction, never thought it could work but sure enough it will have cars grip-rolling by the end of the night...

I have used simple green, does the job and also gets the tires sticky even before the saucing begins.

Shortbusallstar 02-03-2012 09:45 AM

I tried the simple green, it works but lighter fluid the yellow bottle forget the name cleans much faster, Going to try the wd-40 next.

How long are you guys letting the sauce soak for??

SteveM 02-03-2012 10:17 AM

Lighter fluid is dangerous and tends to dry out the rubber as does the rubbing alcohol. WD40 will work and I've even heard of guys using sunscreen lotion.

Dane 02-03-2012 10:25 AM

clean with the same tire sauce. makes the most traction in my opinion.

Lessen 02-03-2012 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe (Post 10257968)

Hmmm. I had been using sauce to scrub my tires after runs but I'm not sure I'm liking the effects of that. (Something else for me to test). I have one of those large WD40 cans. I guess I need to pick myself up a small bottle to bring to the track and try it out. The simple green too...

TeamWTF 02-03-2012 01:27 PM

WD-40 works well... Clean tire and leave a little residue, warm tires and race... The WD really softens the tires (petroleum based)

It cleans really well... I can clean with simple green... and even after that if I clean again with WD I get more black stuff on my rag (Some of which is fresh rubber I'm sure)

TeamWTF 02-03-2012 01:29 PM

Oh, Marc Reinard sauce works well for me on asphalt

CarbonJoe 02-03-2012 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lessen (Post 10273591)
Hmmm. I had been using sauce to scrub my tires after runs but I'm not sure I'm liking the effects of that. (Something else for me to test). I have one of those large WD40 cans. I guess I need to pick myself up a small bottle to bring to the track and try it out. The simple green too...

I have some in a small plastic squeeze bottle you can try at the next club race.

entitymugenmtx 02-03-2012 02:20 PM

The best thing that works for me is denatured alcohol makes the tire look brand new.