Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Wearing Spurs / Pinions >

Wearing Spurs / Pinions

Wearing Spurs / Pinions

Old 01-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Wearing Spurs / Pinions

Hi guys,

My car seems to have a bad habit of chewing through Pinion gears. Could this be caused by angles in the spur pinion area?

I am trying to figure out how my car can keep stripping the teeth off the gears.

Car is a TT-01 and using a Yokomo 23T ST.

Thanks

John
Old 01-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Tech Elite

Are you using the Tamiya brand pinion gears? That will be partly why - they are made from a soft alloy and wear fast. Try and get hold of a good hard pinion in 0.6 module, I believe RW and Robinson both make them (don't know about availability in NZ).

Second problem could be flex in the chassis, the standard TT01 is very plasticcy. Alloy motor mount should be a considered upgrade, maybe also carbon top deck.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:44 AM
Tech Rookie

I have noticed that the alloy driveshaft tilts down slightly towards the rear of the car where the spur is attached to the shaft. Would that make the pionion / spur wear quicker as its not making perfect contact?

I dont know how to remedy that though...

Yes I am using Tamiya parts, I'll try have a look for harder ones

John
Old 01-06-2005, 03:02 AM
Tech Addict

Sosidge is right the Tamiya pinions are very soft I have noticed a little wear on my TT01 as well, but they will still last for quite a long time.

There is nothing you can do about it but buy harder pinion gears, but if you buy harder pinions you might find that the spur will start to wear significantly.