Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TRF shocks on Xray or other?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

Default TRF shocks on Xray or other?

Just about to order myself a T3 '11 but not overly impressed with the plastic shocks (seems most on here aren't!).

Anyway, been out of the game a while so not sure what shocks would be best to get? I know ou can get the aluminium ones, but i've heard again that these are great.

Sounds like the TRF shocks are a possibility, also cheaper than the xray aluminum ones

What do I need in order to make them match colour wise, do you just change the top end cap but keep all the TRF internals?

Are they any better? Or is there another suggestion?

Cheers
Old 06-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mb3195
Just about to order myself a T3 '11 but not overly impressed with the plastic shocks (seems most on here aren't!).

Anyway, been out of the game a while so not sure what shocks would be best to get? I know ou can get the aluminium ones, but i've heard again that these are great.

Sounds like the TRF shocks are a possibility, also cheaper than the xray aluminum ones

What do I need in order to make them match colour wise, do you just change the top end cap but keep all the TRF internals?

Are they any better? Or is there another suggestion?

Cheers
you need a set of TRF dampers , then the short TRF black dampers for the minis and make the longer ones with the black caps and the alloy ring from Xray

quite expensive really !! but i like the Xray alloy dampers with the TRF bladders in them
Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

What's wrong with blue? They look nice on my TM E4 and work so good too.

Tamiya sells caps and rings in red, black or blue.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

they dont look cool on an orange car LOL

on a silver or black car thats ok
Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
you need a set of TRF dampers , then the short TRF black dampers for the minis and make the longer ones with the black caps and the alloy ring from Xray

quite expensive really !! but i like the Xray alloy dampers with the TRF bladders in them
so, on top of the tamiya 42102 shock set i was looking to buy, what additional parts would i need? i didnt quite get what you mean? are the black dampers for the minis to replace the blue ones from the 42102 set? if so, part no. would be great!

thanks matey
Old 06-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mb3195
so, on top of the tamiya 42102 shock set i was looking to buy, what additional parts would i need? i didnt quite get what you mean? are the black dampers for the minis to replace the blue ones from the 42102 set? if so, part no. would be great!

thanks matey
What he means is that if you want black TC shocks you buy the blue TRF TC shocks and the black mini TRF shocks and swap the caps and adjuster ring.

But really, you can buy black TRF parts so purchasing a set of shocks to throw away is insane. Hmmmm seems like they only sell the red or blue parts on their site. It's a very hard site to navigate too.

Last edited by AreCee; 06-04-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by AreCee
What he means is that if you want black TC shocks you buy the blue TRF TC shocks and the black mini TRF shocks and swap the caps and adjuster ring.

But really, you can buy black TRF parts so purchasing a set of shocks to throw away is insane. Hmmmm seems like they only sell the red or blue parts on their site. It's a very hard site to navigate too.
If you, like me, don't care about the color of the shocks, could someone post a link to a seller that sells the shocks that will fit the T2/T3.

I'm looking for the same my self but for a T2'008. Believe the dimensions are the same for the T2 as for the T3..
Old 06-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AreCee

or ...you could buy the black trf shock set for tc
Old 06-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default black shocks?

i can only find blue ones???
Old 06-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Coach-Z
If you, like me, don't care about the color of the shocks, could someone post a link to a seller that sells the shocks that will fit the T2/T3.

I'm looking for the same my self but for a T2'008. Believe the dimensions are the same for the T2 as for the T3..
Will these fit the Xray T2/T3:??

http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=2774

Or does it have to be these:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...ex.htm#42101_2

sold here:
http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=1939
Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

These are the dampers

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-dam...8-p-26673.html

To make them work properly on the xray you need to use the xray shock top and bottoms, you can either take them off your plastic shocks or get 2 x 308302.

In order to get everything working right together you need to make a couple mods
* Drill out the tammy cap to take the xray shock top
* Trim 1-1.5mm off the piston to get the correct length
* Sand down the lip on the underside of the xray cap that retains the bladder to about 0.5mm to prevent it cutting the tammy bladder

There's not a lot wrong with the xray shocks but I definitely prefer my car on the tamiyas.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

i have to say i have 2 sets of Xray alloy shocks these are fitted with TRF bladders and i drilled the cap on one set and i love them , i can get 0 rebound if i like

i have never thought of using Tamiya dampers on it , but i know a lot of people who do it

my shocks are perfect and i am no expert at building shocks

just my 2p worth

P.S nice find CraigM i have ordered these for my Tamiya
Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CraigM
These are the dampers

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-dam...8-p-26673.html

To make them work properly on the xray you need to use the xray shock top and bottoms, you can either take them off your plastic shocks or get 2 x 308302.

In order to get everything working right together you need to make a couple mods
* Drill out the tammy cap to take the xray shock top
* Trim 1-1.5mm off the piston to get the correct length
* Sand down the lip on the underside of the xray cap that retains the bladder to about 0.5mm to prevent it cutting the tammy bladder

There's not a lot wrong with the xray shocks but I definitely prefer my car on the tamiyas.
Can you not just use the ballstuds for the tamiya shocks instead of all this faffing about ?
When I ran tamiya shocks on my 007/8 I used blue ballstuds at the top with a screw through them in the shock tower, and the gold ballstuds at the bottom into the wishbone..
Old 06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris_dono
Can you not just use the ballstuds for the tamiya shocks instead of all this faffing about ?
When I ran tamiya shocks on my 007/8 I used blue ballstuds at the top with a screw through them in the shock tower, and the gold ballstuds at the bottom into the wishbone..
On the '11 the tammy shock cap hits the tower when compressed with the tammy shock top. The TRF cars are also designed to use a spacer under the ball joint at the top, if you use them on the xray it puts the shocks on a funny angle.

The xray mounting hardware is heaps better too because you can change springs without fatiguing the shock bottom or arm.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chris_dono
That's how I use them on my TM E4. Simple and easy to use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.