R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #31
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Corner weighting on RC cars is an imperfect science - I've played with it many times, and it will throw up completely random results at times.

Likely reasons? Domestic-quality scales, chassis flex, and the free play in components - perhaps.

Using the scales to determine Front/Rear and Left/Right weight balance is reliable. Using them to determine corner weights is not. I tweak the car manually if I feel there is a problem.
All your likely reasons are highly possible.

I'm inclined to think it's an EXACT science/ with too many anomalies and variables involved. One thing we are all fighting is friction in the suspension adding inconsistencies while checking our corner weights.

Next time you weigh your car, go into your Mom's (or wife's) kitchen and get some ordinary wax paper, cut three pieces to stack between each scale tray and tire (tare the weight of the paper), as you press down (slightly) on the car to settle the suspension, you should be able to see the wax paper slip sideways relieving most of the friction between the tire and tray. Look for (at least) a reduction in your inconsistent readings.

NOTE: The wax paper I use is approx. .002 thick. I use the wax paper between the tires and tweak board ANYTIME I'm doing ANY suspension tuning. I just subtract the total thickness of .006 when it is an issue (i.e. RIDE-HEIGHT).

I have a tendency to ramble on and on. Please forgive me.
blacky2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote