Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default indy torpedo batt boosting system

Is this item any good, or a waste?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

i could only speculate that this is like the function of the cdc charger's boosting feature. it would discharge the packdown to a certain voltage then repeak it again (it drops down to 8.9V i think).

ask the cdc guys on the thread if they have tried this function and what have they learned from it.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Tech Master

well thats odd because isn't 8.9 the usual (rough) voltage of most packs? i could see it being alright if it drops down to 8.9 on old packs where your getting 9.5-10 volts into a pack but for a new to not so old pack then i can't see it being any good.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:02 AM
Tech Elite

The CDC boosting discharges the pack sligthly, less than one minute. It aint volt controlled, I think it's around 100 milliamps it discharge. Afterwards it repeak, thus warming up the pack.

It solely intended for waking up a pack, which already is fully charged AND cooled completely down.

I've tried it several times, both with NiCd and GP3300. I charged at home and boosted at the track. I dont like it, the pack feels lazy.

Buttom line: Nothing beats a straight full charge, from completely dicharged all the way up till peak.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi All,

The Pro Trak does something very similar. It is for when you have a pack which has finished it's charge some time before the race. Peaking too much does not help the cells as you are in fact overcharging and if you don't repeak and just leave the cells until the race they are very flat if it has been more than around 15 minutes since they finished the charge. The Pro Trak version has a settable discharge time before repeak. Depending on how much time you have before the race, I like to discharge for around 30 seconds or more before it starts to repeak. It does help a lot as compared to not doing it at all but it is not going to be as good as just taking a pack which finished charging 30 seconds before the race.

Chris.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

it's ja ja ja junk