Spintec Battery Manager

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spintec Battery Manager

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

That's a lot of discussion going on here!

There is nothing wrong with the Battery Manager, all data shown is exactly what is measured, and those measurements are accurate. Please keep this in mind: there is a HUGE difference between a conventional linear 'hard' discharge of 35 amps and the Coolflex discharge process. The last one is much easier on the cells, due to the cooling-down periods. So it is normal that all the numbers you get from your Battery Manager are better than those of other conventional dischargers. What should we do then: fake the numbers to get 'socially accepted' numbers? No.

Yes, discharging takes long with it. But that's the only way to keep your pack cool. It is very easy to discharge it with a linear 35 amps, but do you really want your shrinkwrap to come off due to overheating?

Furthermore, the Battery Manager CAN NOT overdischarge a pack. Firstly, there is a voltage monitoring circuit in it that makes sure the CPU has always enough voltage. If not the device will reset. Secondly, there are 2 systems in it watching over the pack based on actual voltage AND change of voltage. I guarantee there is NO risk of cell reversing on a pack which still works in your car. Of course if you take a pack with 1 broken cell, this will go down to 0 volts on even the least of load but then the Battery Manager will detect this and will not start the process.

To conclude, the relation between seconds and mAh is not related in the 35 amps factor because also the 35 amps current has a special shape for optimal decrystallization. There is no way you can calculate this without knowing exactly the current shape.

Thanks to the guys with confidence in us. So please before you say something is wrong with the unit, get the facts right. We are an honest and open company and just want to get the best products to you. I am 100% sure of our products.

The only thing I feel guilty for at the moment... is that the ICC charger is delayed that much
Old 07-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Erik Jonk
Furthermore, the Battery Manager CAN NOT overdischarge a pack. Firstly, there is a voltage monitoring circuit in it that makes sure the CPU has always enough voltage. If not the device will reset. Secondly, there are 2 systems in it watching over the pack based on actual voltage AND change of voltage.
As you said ... if voltage go below ... BatMan reset ... and as first thing it will try to discharge again the pack ... exactly was it was doing with my old Sanyo 3000 after resetting on the maintenance mode ...

So if nobody is supervising the pack, on cell can go in reverse !

As well assuming that BatMan is good to go to the edge of one cell reverse ... then if not unplugged quickly ... the little amp absorbe will cause to damage the weak cell.

What about add a little buttom in the BatMan in order to select the discharge end voltage ?

Isn't that Disharge down to 1V is more safe and still produce the same decristall effect ?

e_lm_70

PS: This BatMan is a good and ultra cool device ... but still could be improved !

PS From you manual:
"Displayed runtime is calculated to be equivalent to a conventional constant 35A discharge. This is approximately the time you could have raced on what was left in the pack, depending on circumstances."

You state:
To conclude, the relation between seconds and mAh is not related in the 35 amps factor because also the 35 amps current has a special shape for optimal decrystallization. There is no way you can calculate this without knowing exactly the current shape.

To me they are two different story , not compatible each other !

PS: I did make a test overnight with my training GP3000 Pack ... and in the morning the voltage of the pack was down to 4.8v ... it was left around 4h connected to the BatMan after disharge have been completed! Since it is a stick pack I was not able to check if some cells were in reverse ... but down to 4.8V there are good possibility !

PS: Positive thing ... after I have change the connector with a Deans one, now it is not happen again that a discharge cycle did abnormal terminate inside the final phase of maintenace.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by g12314
Yes, the numbers may be wrong. From this weekend I had a fully charged GP3300 pack. Took a 3531mA charge. Discharged the fully charged pack on my BATMAN and it stated capacity was 4435. So, yes the numbers are wrong.

But WHO CARES. That same pack I was able to charge to 3531mA was only getting a 2900mA charge before I got my BATMAN. I was ready to throw out my older packs, but this little device saved them.

Thats my $0.02.
Jimmy
I totally agree ... with the excpetion that it is not a maybe ... it is a defenetly yes ... numbers are wrong ... but this is not inportant!

What I don't understand it is why Erik that know far better then us his device ... he doesn't want to admint , that the BatMan numbers are extracted from mesurement ... when input data could be not precise or the math used is not applicable in every type of NiMh or NiCd cell !!!!!!

e_lm_70
Old 07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
tornado

e_lm_70........what are you getting at ? what is your main intention of getting this BATMAN anyway......to get the numbers of your cells or to make sure your cells performance are maintained longer ? Geeeezzzzzz.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

I got my BattMan a couple weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I am seeing improvement in capacity and runtime in cells that have only gone through two cycles. However, there is one pack (my "best" used pack) that is confusing me. I have done three discharges on the BattMan with this pack, all at full-charge. The first time, IR was 41.8. The second time, it was down to 33.0. But yesterday, it registered IR of 47.0.

Has anyone had a similar experience with fluctuating IR like this? Maybe I haven't done enough cycles.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kartermdb
Thanks Hebiki, that helps alot, but i do have one more question. does this help new cells as well?
karter.. i wont say it "helps" new cells..since new cells doesnt really need help.. if you know what i mean but i have seen my newest ProMatch cells maintain their IR in the mid-20s. voltage is constant.. with slight fluctuation +/- 0.10. and that varies because i cant discharge each pack at the exact same time.

EDIT: the thing i like now is... by putting my newest packs on the BatMan.... i have numbers i can compare with later on down the line when these race packs eventually get demoted to "practice" packs.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks for your feedback Erik. I'm sure I am going to be impressed by the Batman when I see an improvement in my batteries. I was mainly concerned as the instructions said more than 2 hours to discharge a full pack. I guess I assumed that would be around 2 hours and that was my concern. If it takes longer, so be it, as long as it is doing the job.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

did you liscense this technology to trinity? Just curious as I was looking at their new discharge device and it looks mighty fmailiar??
Old 07-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks to the guys with confidence in us. So please before you say something is wrong with the unit, get the facts right. We are an honest and open company and just want to get the best products to you. I am 100% sure of our products.

The only thing I feel guilty for at the moment... is that the ICC charger is delayed that much
Dun worry Erik, ....the majority of folks here (Including myself) are 1001% behind you and your product. We've use the BM and have seen the benefits.

There will always be jokers who'll knock this and question that as they could'nt see the forest because of the trees. (Dun let them upset you)

Cheers !
Old 07-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BritRacer
did you liscense this technology to trinity? Just curious as I was looking at their new discharge device and it looks mighty fmailiar??
Yeah, I saw that too, makes me sick. I hate it when "big name" companies buy out innovative technology from smaller companies. Trinity one is only 20A though and has a 4/6cell switch.

Don't know the exact story behind it though. Erik?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:06 AM
Tech Adept

Hello,

No, we did not licence them to copy our product. It also just came to my attention. They contacted me beginning of this year if they could be our distributor for the Battery Manager. We chose Horizon (for what I see now all the good reasons), so they just copied it.

That's the way life goes...

Last edited by Erik Jonk; 07-27-2005 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hello,

No, we did not licence them to copy our product. It also just came to my attention. Tony Przybylowicz and Latif Michail of that company contacted me beginning of this year if they could be our distributor for the Battery Manager. We chose Horizon (for what I see now all the good reasons), so they just copied it.

The nice thing is that their teamdrivers Brian Kinwald, Matt Francis and Jukka Steenari are using our Battery Manager

That's the way life goes...
i forgot who said that "imitation is the greatest form of flattery"... cant beat em.. copy em!

got your stuff Erik. thanks man!
Old 07-27-2005, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

I am sorry to hear that, I dont think I have seen such blatent copying in a long time. That is really sh*tty of trinity if you ask me.

But looking through their products I guess thats the way they come up with "new products"

I will buy a spintec.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

I've gotten a Spintec....!!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Heck I got two....LOL

MY PACKS LOVE ME:no d:
-SHookie <><
Originally Posted by Ben.C
I've gotten a Spintec....!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.