Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spintec Battery Manager

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got my Battery Manager a few weeks ago and ran my packs through a few cycles to see if the BatMan made a difference. My results were not very positive. I charged 14 packs completely which charged to an average of 4000mah. I ran two cycles for each pack. These were the discharge numbers: The average runtimes were around 370...avg volts 7.60, energy avg 82, capacity 3300. The interesting number was IR. the first cycle had IR's in the 30's and 40's. I expected the second cycle to be lower, but they actually went to the 40's and 50's. I cycled a brand new EA pack with only one run on it that registered a 59.5 IR. I wouldn't have been too concerned by the numbers except I took 8 of the packs to the track last weekend to test and each performed poorly. My cars lacked punch and topend. These packs had performed well previously. I'll do more testing, but I was curious to hear from other people about their experiences
Old 05-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

same same trays would help bring the punch back im doing this already with new batts

Last edited by lickrim; 05-12-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by lickrim
same same trays would help bring to punch back
same same trays?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by DOTMAN
I got my Battery Manager a few weeks ago and ran my packs through a few cycles to see if the BatMan made a difference. My results were not very positive. I charged 14 packs completely which charged to an average of 4000mah. I ran two cycles for each pack. These were the discharge numbers: The average runtimes were around 370...avg volts 7.60, energy avg 82, capacity 3300. The interesting number was IR. the first cycle had IR's in the 30's and 40's. I expected the second cycle to be lower, but they actually went to the 40's and 50's. I cycled a brand new EA pack with only one run on it that registered a 59.5 IR. I wouldn't have been too concerned by the numbers except I took 8 of the packs to the track last weekend to test and each performed poorly. My cars lacked punch and topend. These packs had performed well previously. I'll do more testing, but I was curious to hear from other people about their experiences
interesting findings oliver. i never used the spintec from a fully charged battery. i always ran the car (no point in wasting a perfectly good charge). then i would bring it down with the spintec and take readings.

you going to hesperia on sunday? i can show you the readings ive taken on my 6 race packs.. each time i discharged on the Spintec, the IR goes down (usually 10+).
Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I suspect that the slow discharge method is the cause of the packs being flat.

Anyway, I am planning on being there this Sunday. See ya there
Old 05-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Erik Jonk
Hello Antonio! Thanks for your explanation!

For the US guys, there will be a large shipment to Horizon next week. So very soon you can easily order them through your local hobby shop!

Thanks antonio...

BTW, when do you expect the ICC to come out?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

...So would you still want to tray batts after using the BatMan?
Old 05-13-2005, 03:33 AM
Tech Regular

Yep,

I still do. Just to be sure all cells are balanced. It doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to equalize them.

Regarding new packs and 3700:

My 3700 are brand new and my new packs are 3700

I'm doing the routine after all the runs but I can't say that the results are much better because the packs are barely used

However if the BM does the same it did with older packs, I assume that the degradation I found with the 3300 will take a lot longer to occur.

I wasn't expecting too much from my 3300 anymore. To be honest it was quite a surprise.
With one if theses "revived" packs I was able to drive consistently in the front of a friend of mine using brand new VTEC3700.
Not that his car was bad or anything, but because my car/motor/pack combo was perfect. The car would just jump out of the curves and that has a lot to do with a good pack. I didn't feel the mushy feeling it used to have from minute 3 till the end.

In conclusion. If it did what it did with my old packs I'm going to use it on my new packs ALL the time. If I can make them live for a a couple of months more it's worth the investment in a big way.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by antoniop
In conclusion. If it did what it did with my old packs I'm going to use it on my new packs ALL the time. If I can make them live for a a couple of months more it's worth the investment in a big way.
I've been using the previous version of the BM, the Kinetic Prodis. Eventhough this one only discharges at 20A and doesn't do the decrystallization it did keep my packs in good shape. Not as good as the BM which is keeping them in top shape.

But what I'm saying is that with some 5 years experience with the old version, I could still race my 2000 packs as they're kept in good shape. So I expect it won't be much different with the new improved version.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rod M
has the battery manager been tested with the intellect batterys?

about half of my packs are intellects and plannig on getting more,

thanks,
still need to know if the Battery manager is ok to use with intellect Batterys?

I just got mine today, it is much smaller than you would guess by looking at the pictures,
Old 05-17-2005, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

Hey guys,

I am just a newb here, and I don't own a batman, but all this talk has just gotten me excited and curious.

I run modified, and I dump my packs ( or get pretty close anyway), will the batman do good for me? I mean there isn't very much left for the 35A discharge to do anything... Will it produce the results that I have been viewing all through this thread? I run GP3300s matched 1.178+s.

I am not sure if this question has been asked, but I REALLY don't want to read through 264 replies of all sorts!

Thankyou!

Old 05-17-2005, 01:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally posted by rcnewb2004
Hey guys,

I am just a newb here, and I don't own a batman, but all this talk has just gotten me excited and curious.

I run modified, and I dump my packs ( or get pretty close anyway), will the batman do good for me? I mean there isn't very much left for the 35A discharge to do anything... Will it produce the results that I have been viewing all through this thread? I run GP3300s matched 1.178+s.

I am not sure if this question has been asked, but I REALLY don't want to read through 264 replies of all sorts!

Thankyou!

Probably not if you use it like you mentioned.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by antoniop
This is from my personal experience and it seems to be consistent and not a one time effect.

I have 5 GP3300 packs that were not accepting more than 3300-3200 mAh and were having a lot of trouble delivering 5 minutes on the track.

I discharged what was left in them with the BM. After that the packs accepted more charge and the Peak Voltage was lower than it used to be.

Then I charged them completely and discharged them with the BM. It takes a couple of hours to discharge a fully charged pack.

Now, ALL 5 accept around 3800-3900 peak at around 9V (not 9.3 as they used to) and on the track they almost seem like barely used packs.
Run time is not an issue with 4 of them and the punch is awesome.

Now I'm using the BM ALL THE TIME after running with the GP3300 and the GP3700.

It seems to me that I've found the right tool for the job.

how many times do i need to cycle them, or regularly do i need to cycle them (complete charge and discharge)
Old 05-17-2005, 03:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi

I've got a question. When do you discharge your pack with the BM ?
is it before running your pack or after ? i mean when you arrive at the track you discharge the rest of runtime from the last cession and after you tray them and charge
or you discharge the day before or just after your run and keep the cell discharge and just tray them the next week of training ?
I've got around 500 mah after 5 min race (modified are 12 turns in france ) how long does it take with the BM to discharge 500 mah ?

thanks to give me your experience

Simon

Last edited by simon; 05-17-2005 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:08 AM
T-man

Do you have to connect your packs to a discharge tray after discharging with the BM?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.