Wiki Posts
Search

supernova 250s

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default supernova 250s

Hi guys i need some help i been searching 2 days and cant seem to find enough info on this charger through web search and forum search.

does it have a cycling function like the cdc v6.0b

is the battery data info as detailed and helpful as the CDC V6.0b?

i really only plan to do 540 class racing but i do wanna be as competitive as possible. but im also on a tight budget.

what are my disadvantages if i use a supernova charger over the CDC charger?

remember im only gonna race in 540 class
but my ideal charger is that it will tell me how healthy/good the condition that battery is in.

im new to ep and i see all these numbers on the batteries which i would like to learn and a good charger i assume will assist me in choosing which batteries to race with over the seasons.

all comments will be enormously appreciated

thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

get a CDC then
Old 01-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

true but i can save about $120 with the supernova lol coz i also goto get a new EP chassis as well.

but if everyone says CDC then ill do whatever it takes to get the CDC i did orginally want this but as a budget racer you'll always want to find some spots to save in.

but as a saying i've learnt in the last week
what you save here, you'll spend more else where.. or something like that.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Brainteased, that Avatar is mesmerizing...haha!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by mushu
Brainteased, that Avatar is mesmerizing...haha!
ohhhh yess...what was your question again?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default charger

supernova low amp discharge [4 or 5 i think]
cdc 20 amp discharge
Old 01-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Supernova....

Brain...

buy the CDC. you will quickly outgrow the supernova (like i did). its designed primarily for airplane users and not car racers. if you plan on doing some serious racing, pick up the CDC or a Pulsar comp (shameless plug... i have one for sale. look at my signature.)

i used to own the Supernova. it charges great, but ONLY up to 5amps. I think the discharge is at 3amps (not sure, but the number is very low). I ended up selling mine a month after i purchased it and lost money on it.

Much better off with a Pulsar Comp (shameless plug once again. ) Pulsar Comp 2, CDC or any other high end competition charger out there.

- Chris
Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: supernova 250s

Originally posted by BrainTeased
Hi guys i need some help i been searching 2 days and cant seem to find enough info on this charger through web search and forum search.

does it have a cycling function like the cdc v6.0b

is the battery data info as detailed and helpful as the CDC V6.0b?

i really only plan to do 540 class racing but i do wanna be as competitive as possible. but im also on a tight budget.

what are my disadvantages if i use a supernova charger over the CDC charger?

remember im only gonna race in 540 class
but my ideal charger is that it will tell me how healthy/good the condition that battery is in.

im new to ep and i see all these numbers on the batteries which i would like to learn and a good charger i assume will assist me in choosing which batteries to race with over the seasons.

all comments will be enormously appreciated

thanks in advance!
The CDC is definately a better charger. Supanova 250S is incredibly easy to use and charges well. I rarely have issues with falsepeaking on older packs - 2000mah nicds, even though it doesn't have a long lockout function. I think off the top of my head it only charges at 4amps. Discharge is 3amps too I think. I could be wrong, it may be 5amps for both. I use my T35 GFX to charge my new GP Nimhs and the Supanova for all my other batteries.

The only real way you can tell what kind of health you're battery is in is on a charger/discharger that will tell you the internal resistance of the pack or cell.

It's a fine charger, I still use mine pretty regularly and have had it for three years or so with out any issues.

If you're on a real strict budget, the Supanova will be fine for you. The CDC would be the next step but I dont think the benefits are there for the added expense.

Hope this helps. Any more specific questions about the charger just ask.

Tim
Old 01-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Supernova....

Originally posted by Hebiki
Brain...

buy the CDC. you will quickly outgrow the supernova (like i did). its designed primarily for airplane users and not car racers. if you plan on doing some serious racing, pick up the CDC or a Pulsar comp (shameless plug... i have one for sale. look at my signature.)

i used to own the Supernova. it charges great, but ONLY up to 5amps. I think the discharge is at 3amps (not sure, but the number is very low). I ended up selling mine a month after i purchased it and lost money on it.

Much better off with a Pulsar Comp (shameless plug once again. ) Pulsar Comp 2, CDC or any other high end competition charger out there.

- Chris
For the $120 you're better off with a Supanova then any other charger on the Market. It's very versatile - what more could you ask for the price.

Question - Have you ever made money from selling a charger? Didn't think so

For 540 racing, the Supanova will do fine. When you want to find out how much runtime you have left, and the real performance of you're packs, upgrade to something a level above the CDC, Pulsar etc.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

thank you guys

Tim you wrote :

For 540 racing, the Supanova will do fine. When you want to find out how much runtime you have left, and the real performance of you're packs, upgrade to something a level above the CDC, Pulsar etc.

ME:

how does the CDC show you how much runtime you have left, and the real performance of my packs?

Tim again :

The only real way you can tell what kind of health you're battery is in is on a charger/discharger that will tell you the internal resistance of the pack or cell.

so the supernova discharges at 3 amps (max) after that it will show me the IR figure at that will determine health / punch the battery has correct?

also cdc has a 20 amp dis charge rate. will this be more precise in getting the IR figure?

this is a new question as well
does cycling a good battery harm it?
as i was just told its not worth cycling a battery in 540 class

Also just a reminder i really will not be moving up in the EP class! as i feel very comfortable in the nitro class. EP is just different and very fun.

but i think i've made my choice! im gonna go for the supernova charger fits my budget and i only want the CDC cause its what everyone else has and that it seems like it has a better battery data info source for the user to track the battery life/competitive level.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Tech Adept

I have a supernova to charge my plank/heli flight packs etc..

It doesnt charge nimh packs well in auto mode, you have to setup a specific battery profile...

When you discharge it auto switches to charge mode at the end of the discharge, keep an eye on this if you are discharging at the end of the day to leave the packs flat.

Good points are you can change current on the fly, its easy to use and program and its cheap....

If I didnt have my Ultramat or CDC then I would use it for my cars as well... but its not in the same league as the CDC...

Old 01-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

hey guys thanks for all ya help
i've now decided to go CDC even if i race only 540 class i still want the best for my batteries and to know them a little better
Old 05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

seen the Supernova Competition yet?

picked one up last friday. pretty awesome!

sort of like an intellipeak ice, but 20A discharge, backlit LCD, etc, etc... impressive.