R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Vintage 1/12th, Stormer Brings back the Schkee (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/589462-vintage-1-12th-stormer-brings-back-schkee.html)

Bob-Stormer 01-19-2012 06:45 PM

Vintage 1/12th, Stormer Brings back the Schkee

The 1/12 Sckee is back! If you enjoy vintage 1/12th racing and collecting, we're gonna put a smile on your face. :)

I always thought this body was cool, and it handled well. Stormer Hobbies got with Parma, they found the original mold and they pulled us the 1/12th Schkee from the original mold. I know this isn't going to sell all that well, but it's not the point. It's a small piece of history that I wanted to help preserve. And we appreciate Mike and the Parma crew for doing this for us.

The original full size Schkee campaigned in the late 70's, like 1977-1979.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...492schkees.jpg

It's getting hard to remember, but I "THINK" we probably last ran the Schkee, to maybe 1986?. I have a vague memory of running a Schkee on a first version 12L or a super phaser. So this body was probably originally made from 1978-1984 the first time around. Would have been raced on the Jomac Lightning 2000, Delta Super Phaser, Leisure 100, Bolink Challenger, MRP GP12, 12E, and then the 12i. and other cars from that period.

Now, another thing that was important to me. This is a "slight" slap in the face for any collector that's been holding onto a Schkee body for almost 30-35 years. And we completely understand. To help differentiate a bit, these have the body overspray film on them (old ones, no film), and I had Parma engrave a "K" on the lower back part of the body mold, that wouldn't be on the originals, just for that reason. The letter K was chosen to show respect and give props to Parma founder Ken MacDowell, and show it's a newer pull of the body. It's on the back, on the piece you trim off. But it's there, and I think it's important to show that courtesy for both Ken, Parma, and the collector crowd.

Remember this isn't a backpour, or repop somebody else made. These are pulled off of the original 35 year old Parma Schkee mold. That's badass!!

click the pic.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/pics/par1949.jpg

azeroth 01-19-2012 06:55 PM

way to cool i ran that body 1980 outdoor 6 Cell season on a delta phasor indoor 4 cell i was running a ford gt way to cool

S.Stew 01-19-2012 07:17 PM

This thing is awesome. A little (Okay, A lot) before my time, but I love classic prototype race cars. Would you cut the top out of this or just leave that portion clear?

CypressMidWest 01-19-2012 07:29 PM

That's just way too cool.

We purchased our carpet from "The Gate" a few years ago. Ot was the carpet that was used for the '09 Roar Nats. The carpet was stored at Parma. When Chicky opened the door, and we pulled in the U-Haul, we could see row after row of shelving filled with classic molds, including one of my all time favorites, the BMW GTP.

There was also an AWESOME slotcar track, and examples of many of Parma's innovative products.

It was a really coo thing to see.

nf_ekt 01-19-2012 07:31 PM

Wow... that is cool.

Next thing you know, we are going to have a vta-esq version of 12th scale running soon, slower but close fun racing. Ok, I know it won't likely happen, but I would do it :nod:. Nice work!

But seriously, I'd run 12th with a silvercan and relic body shell and have fun.

CypressMidWest 01-19-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by nf_ekt (Post 10198779)
Wow... that is cool.

Next thing you know, we are going to have a vta-esq version of 12th scale running soon, slower but close fun racing. Ok, I know it won't likely happen, but I would do it :nod:. Nice work!

17.5 Blinky is slow enough.......

I'd love to run old school 12th with Schkees, MRP C-100's, McAllister Intrepids, and Bolink 962's.

Spec Green Rears and Blue Fronts, no reactive caster.........

Sounds kinda fun:nod:

nf_ekt 01-19-2012 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest (Post 10198801)
17.5 Blinky is slow enough.......

I'd love to run old school 12th with Schkees, MRP C-100's, McAllister Intrepids, and Bolink 962's.

Spec Green Rears and Blue Fronts, no reactive caster.........

Sounds kinda fun:nod:

Fair enough :lol:.

Yeah I agree though, I have seen the Mcallister shells too (not to divert attention from this shell though), and yeah some old shells and spec tires would be cool. Vintage Can Am or whatever you want to call it. Hmm...

Bob, do you have a painted/mounted example to post up?

DesertRat 01-19-2012 07:54 PM

Consider at least one sold. Hell, I'll run Mod with it just to see if it stays shiny side up.

Bob-Stormer 01-19-2012 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by nf_ekt (Post 10198841)
Bob, do you have a painted/mounted example to post up?

Not yet. They've only been in the building for a few hours now. :) I should do one up sooner than later... what car to put it on though? Hmmm. Have to think about that for a bit.

Originally Posted by DesertRat (Post 10198903)
Consider at least one sold. Hell, I'll run Mod with it just to see if it stays shiny side up.

;)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt (Post 10198779)

I've done it 4 cell. VERY enjoyable racing. It's now about how fast you go, but how you go fast. ;)

InspGadgt 01-19-2012 08:06 PM

I'll buy one for sure! Always thought those were an interesting body :)

As for 17.5 blinky...yeah in 1/12th it is too slow. Personally I'm not a big fan of blinky to begin with but...we've been running 13.5 blinky and it has worked out nicely :)

CypressMidWest 01-19-2012 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer (Post 10198958)
what car to put it on though? Hmmm. Have to think about that for a bit.

;)

Parma Pro Panther 12 perhaps?

nf_ekt 01-19-2012 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer (Post 10198958)
I've done it 4 cell. VERY enjoyable racing. It's now about how fast you go, but how you go fast. ;)

I may have to actually put that in my sig :cool:

I didn't start running 12th until 2005, and I know the chassis have even changed a bit since then, but I am wanting to see one all mounted up for sure, both vintage and current-spec chassis :tire::tire:

Side note- no intention on my part to start a debate on what is too fast or slow or whatever, just thinking out loud a bit (on the "vintage" concept).

Whatever you slap it on, we want to see it soon :p

Bob-Stormer 01-19-2012 08:50 PM

got an idea, gimmee a few hours. Was gonna put it on something AYK, but to obscure for most people. let's slap one on Delta car. I'm thinking Super Phaser. :)

Things were painted differently back then. Had to think about it for a while. lot more subtle, fewer colors, etc. and I tend to sticker things to the 9th degree, wasn't as popular in the early 80's, by late 80's it started getting much more interesting looking (from a paint and decal perspective)

Rick Hohwart 01-19-2012 08:58 PM

Cool!

RacinJ 01-19-2012 09:16 PM

Makes me miss my first R/C car. The Jomac Lighting 2000. Came with a mounted Schkee body. :)