R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Rally Tires For 1/10th Touring On Carpet? Illegal? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/589237-rally-tires-1-10th-touring-carpet-illegal.html)

WALZ 01-19-2012 02:31 AM

Rally Tires For 1/10th Touring On Carpet? Illegal?

Our club has a touring car class that runs on a cold carpeted church floor. Since we rent the spot we are not able to use traction compound or even clean our tires with alcohol. The best setups look like drift cars right now.

One guy had the bright idea to run HPI rally tires on his TC6.1 and that thing was planted! Unfortunately out Roar director quickly vetoed the tire stating it takes the fun out of tuning and does not belong on that car.

Right now the fastest runners are using HPI radials, 30-ish shore foams or advents (sp?).

Do you think rally tires should be illegal on 1/10 touring?

Thank you for your insight.

Mb3195 01-19-2012 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by WALZ (Post 10194698)
Our club has a touring car class that runs on a cold carpeted church floor. Since we rent the spot we are not able to use traction compound or even clean our tires with alcohol. The best setups look like drift cars right now.

One guy had the bright idea to run HPI rally tires on his TC6.1 and that thing was planted! Unfortunately out Roar director quickly vetoed the tire stating it takes the fun out of tuning and does not belong on that car.

Right now the fastest runners are using HPI radials, 30-ish shore foams or advents (sp?).

schumacher blue mini pins on carpet are unreal, the problem is, they damage the carpet and dont last long!!!!

Chaz955i 01-19-2012 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by WALZ (Post 10194698)

In your situation the club should decide what is best for the racers and club. It doesn't sound like you run on a typical racing surface, but you've found a way to make it work which is likely more important than appeasing someone with a very shortsighted view of what should and shouldn't be.

RedBullFiXX 01-19-2012 06:54 AM

Spec a tire that works for your race track, so all racers have a chance.
Tune from there

mkiiina 01-19-2012 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chaz955i (Post 10194978)
In your situation the club should decide what is best for the racers and club. It doesn't sound like you run on a typical racing surface, but you've found a way to make it work which is likely more important than appeasing someone with a very shortsighted view of what should and shouldn't be.

Agreed, with the current restrictions (which I think are warranted as its a dual purpose room) you aren't running a ROAR event. Have the club come to consensus and go from there.

bucketboy 01-19-2012 10:58 AM

These work pretty good on industial type carpets..

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/487_1_105653285.html

Bb

WALZ 01-19-2012 11:53 AM

Thank you guys for your opinions. I look forward to sharing some of these thoughts with our race dictators.

MikeXray 01-19-2012 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by WALZ (Post 10196664)
Thank you guys for your opinions. I look forward to sharing some of these thoughts with our race dictators.

maybe this type instead of pins?

http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...24_a_7cHPI4468

WALZ 01-19-2012 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by MikeXray (Post 10197049)

Those tires have shown up at our "track" but were not the winning ticket.

I have never tried the fastrax though; is there a US distributor? Even the ones on Fleabay did not ship outside the UK.

caaraa 01-20-2012 12:20 AM

Spec a tire that works for your race track, so all racers have a chance.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/...0.creation.jpg

Mb3195 01-20-2012 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by WALZ (Post 10199209)

I have never tried the fastrax though; is there a US distributor? Even the ones on Fleabay did not ship outside the UK.

the fastrax tyres used to be called T27's, 10 years ago, they were THE rubber tyre to use on carpet, before sorex, etc.

Good tyre, very cheap, competitive racing - I used to really like racing on these, the funny thing is, you could do a Michael Schumacher and run them down to no tread at all, the more you took off the tread, the quicker they got!! ;)

bucketboy 01-20-2012 05:29 AM

Try sending them an email, explain you are looking for a control trye to run at your club, I bet the would ship if you a couple of pairs as a trial if they think a bigger order was a possibility;)

As I said, the T27 works well on industial type carpets, blue mini pins or foam tyres with additive are the only other option.

Bb

WALZ 01-20-2012 10:51 AM

I ordered a set of "T27" off the above Antics website in the UK. Kind of a goofy site. I did not see this tire on the Sorex website.

If someone knows of a US supplier please drop me a line.

Thanks for everyone's time!

terry.sc 01-20-2012 01:00 PM

Fastrax is a brand used by the UKs biggest R/C distributor, they just rebadge other manufacturers products and sell them in the UK.

The tyres are also badged as Yeah Racing WL-4001 which might be easier to get hold of.

samshirley00 01-20-2012 01:29 PM

I am running Sorex 24's on carpet, and when they have warmed up, they grip stupidly well. At the end of a race, i go full throttle and full lock and my car just rolls over :P