I have both types. I prefer direct connect but but my newer better lipos only came in banana plug type config.
bullet connect lipo disadvantages
- VERY easy to plug in the wrong way , especially if in a hurry between races or just not concentrating. This WILL blow you esc. I have done this (once)
- may not fit in the car, under the top deck because of bullet connector. May sure what ever lipo you get will actually fit it the car without issues
-the banana plug may touch the carbon top deck , not something you want.
- its one extra connector to go bad (probably will never happen on good lipos)
- Ive had some el cheapo's where one banana socket was too short & had to be drilled to allow plug to fully seat.
direct connect disadvantages
- again, depending on where the cables exit , it may not fit easily in the car, especially with plastic tub chassis
Ive had 3 direct connect lipos need to be opened to resolder the balance lead. This was simply bad design on a Brand name lipo . All my other el cheapo direct connect lipos have had no issues .