Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
4 Cell Sedan Racing >

4 Cell Sedan Racing

4 Cell Sedan Racing

Old 01-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally posted by speedxl
as far as 5 cell its more workable but why not find cells that have less vltage!
Because it wont be competitive. Racers will always push the envelope under the rules of which they are running. We really aren't trying to slow the cars down. We are trying to get the motors to last more than one run without having to cut the com and rebrush.

Sure we can run 15turn motors by choice if we were looking to save on motor maintainance, but that really wouldn't be competitive. Or we can stay home and quit racing and really save which is sure some people have done and I would like to help be proactive and try to figure out a solution to our problems.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

SpeedXL - Sure they are called stick packs. Those are the cells that make battery matchers stay up at night worrying how to get rid of them...lol! Even with lower voltage cells its not enough. Guys will always buy the best they can get. You have to reduce the cell count.

Pucho -
Old 01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Cool For the hobby or Profit

4 cell will help control cost and help the hobby. Five no big saving or help!
Old 01-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default I would think....

running 4 cells with the new 3700 batteries would be fine for stock classes. Save the 5 cells for mod. It's a wealthy man's game. Sounds like a great idea. That's if the packs stay at the current prices. I would be upset if the manufactures started to up the prices of 4-cells if it didn't take off or when bigger and better came out. The biggest reason why this hobby won't grow are costs. I'm sure it won't change, it's the same with motorcycle parts. Today I spent $175.00 because I was sick of not having the rc tools I needed.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Default One thing....

new people see is that vet guy sitting at the table with motor lathes, computer chargers, tire truers, fans and the list goes on. It's imtimidating for some, because most new people don't think they could ever compete with those guys. Why try then? It turns them off when they find out how much all this stuff costs and they say see ya. I think it comes down to hobby store reps talking to their customers, posting setups, starting mentoring programs, keeping attitues race friendly and keeping costs down. My two cents.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

True, thats why I never bring out all the accessories for club races and usually just use my trusty old Tekin charger.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default Sorry, one more thing...

I would like to see driving ability and setup being the major factors in racing and not separating yourself with how deep your pockets can go. Anything to keep the prices down at the stock level. I would like to see bearings in stock motors though. I think the V2 stock motors will be nice for long term. I still like the brushless in those terms.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

i would rather see 5 cells..
Old 01-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

Kit costs have not really gone up, I ran into some old magazines from the late 80's/early 90's and the prices are actually the same....

What has changed is durability.... We've given up strength to have the lightest vehicle out there.... I never broke things in the past like I do now.... Probably drove better then too....

Dropping to 4 cells to those of us with the money invested is no big deal.... To a newbie starting out, especially a young teenager it's going to be.... What do you think their parents will say when the kid comes back from attempting to run at the track and tells his parents that he can't run those 6 cell sport packs in his RTR on the track? Think his parents are going to want to splurge for matched 4 cell packs, which will be more than a 6 cell sport pack??? The majority of the people out there with RC's are not racers... This affects a very small group of us....

I also wholeheartedly agree with the nitro comments....
Old 01-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Speedie

They may be a little faster as they get smaller but until my driving gets perfect I have alot more to worry about.

I just want to race. If I have to wind up a rubber band before the race thats what Ill do.

Great discussion from everyone BTW one of the best threads I have ever seen on the Tech.
I CONCUR!!

- jaybee
Old 01-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I've been watching the thread pretty much everyday and I thought I'd finally weigh in. I applaud the amount of thought AdrianM has put into the argument for 4 cell touring car, but I just don't think racers at my track would be interested at all. The cars are designed for six cells and people really do want the speed that offers.

I think the real issue is the ridiculous amount of maintenance cost that a properly tuned 4wd touring car requires. Not to mention the constant spending on wheels, motors, and other wear and tear items. A LOT of our local guys have purchased 1/12th scale cars and are absolutely loving the bang for the buck those cars offer. The cars don't break as often, the tires seem to last longer and there's a more social atmosphere because nobody is tearing apart half their car between rounds.

With that said, here's my suggestion...

Rookie Class:
1/12th scale car with mini touring (someone should start making these!) or LMP 900 body
4 cells
Approved stock motors
Here's the kicker... 5 minute race!

Not having to make a full 8 minutes would allow rookies to keep battery / motor cost down. Not to mention how much tougher the 1/12th scale cars are. Here's some math...

RC12 L4: $179.00
Airtronics MX-3 (with receiver): $100.00
JR Servo Z3550: $70.00
Quantum Sport SC: $90.00
2 1.16 Six cell packs of 3300 to be cut into 3 4 cell packs: $70.00
Tires: $30.00
Body: $14.00

Total: $553 bucks!
(Add $ for a charger / discharger of their choice. $100 will get you a used Reedy Q Pro)

Now as far as "The need for speed"...

Sportsman Class:
1/12th scale car with mini touring or LMP 900 body
4 cells
Open 19T motor
Again, the kicker... 5 minute race!

Talk about cheap and insanely fast!

This idea is very much a work in progress, input / flames accepted. Great thread guys!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

OK if you think cheaper will help! You
guys still miss the point they want to buy the car that does 60 mph out of the box!
What do you think they will do when they see a slow electric car running on the track and see a nitro car out accelerate a 4 cell car?
Most of you dont realize how many guys will leave electric and go to nitro because thats where the horsepower will be. Guys think first its great on paper and for pancar oval! You all will suffer in the long run! I see a future in nitro as this class will grow like wild fire.
Guess that will mean also alot of guys will probly race outlaw also going 4 cell and the rest of the world stays six cell we will keep getting our asses handed to us at every worlds ooops that aready happens !
We waste our time on this stuff lets get the races out in front of the public and get some publicity! That will create growth, not dropping two cells.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Tech Adept

Adrian M - I've been stuck offline for a while. I partially stand corrected on my math. But, when I posted my last post on battery weight, I took the last 4 6-cell 3300 packs that I purchased at my LHS and threw them on my digital scale, they all came in at the same weight..about 13.7 if I remember correctly. I'm only relaying what the scale says. But yes, duh on my part, 2 cells would be heavier than I stated. Is my digital scale off by .4 ozs or are they producing packs that weigh more than the ifmar numbers state? I tested my scale with weights and it was right on. I guess it doesn't surprise me.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:12 AM
Tech Adept

Why not use AA 2500mah batteries and 280-380 size motor in 1/10 TC? Or maybe even a new class? 4wd 1/12 pan car?Even if the batteries are matched, the cost will still be much cheaper than sub-c we are using right now. The total weight saving will be around 300grams. You will get plenty of runtime and speed.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Adrian,

I do not think we (Team Orion) have mentioned 4 cell as ideal, like you have quoted. My wish is 5 cells (which proposal I started a while ago in the 3600 thread). I have even written you an email about that. Rick post admits our thought.

Can you tell me why you want to push 4 cell? Maybe there is something that we are missing?

Oscar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.