Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Track Corners: Show us how to do it

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

There's also concerns about chunking foam tires.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We have been using dots in less quantity for awhile, it's rad.. simple as that.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

click track occasional dots to mix it up.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
Can you post or link some pictures?

great input thanks

What a great looking track...
I will see how this works out. The pics are from a couple of our races.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Where is everyone getting the flexible plastic stuff?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Where is everyone getting the flexible plastic stuff?
industrial plastic supply houses for the LDPE sheet.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Kody,

Keep us posted on how well it works. It's very hard convincing people at our track that this type of barrier system is beneficial. Everyone is worried about the dots moving and launching cars if there hit.

I for one don't believe this will happen.

Will do.

3-4 strips of Velcro on the bottom and there good to go. Velcro is placed so the dot lays perfectly flat and the edge of the Velcro grips the carpet fibers. They tend to stay put very well. Losi dots have a very smooth edge unlike steel plow discs. Cars handle Losi dots extremely well unlike any dot I've seen. 12th scale one of our largers classes handle them fine with no chunking problem. In fact hard corners IMO chunk stuff the worst...

Additionally whats nice about dots is you see your full car going through corners. Just watching ETS and the ATS race make you think about how cool that is!

Last edited by Kody; 01-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Regional Moderator

The click track, while easy to change layouts with, has corners that are very hard on cars.

The LDPE/UHMW plastic flappers, on the other hand, are extremely forgiving. Hardly any breakage when using them. We use painted, doubled up 2x4s for the barriers, with the LDPE flappers. Also, we use velcro on the bottom of the 2x4s to help hold them in place on the carpet.

At the Indoor Champs, they screwed through the click track into the subfloor to hold everything in place. If CRC would make corners with the LDPE flapper material, that would be ideal (as long as you have a way to secure the barriers in place). Expensive, though.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by old_dude
industrial plastic supply houses for the LDPE sheet.
That or local plastic shops. Its cheapest to buy a full sheet and rip it into strips. UHMW is the best but not necessary. Your shop will recommend something that's very close and works well. 1/8" works great for smaller flappers and edging hard wood made corners. 1/4 or 3/8" can be used to make a single layer large corner say coming off a straight into a sweeper. Our old layout used two long 3/8" strips bolted in the center for a nice large sweeper entry. Had a nice spring to it encase you turned into it.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
Will do.

3-4 strips of Velcro on the bottom and there good to go. Velcro is placed so the dot lays perfectly flat and the edge of the Velcro grips the carpet fibers. They tend to stay put very well. Losi dots have a very smooth edge unlike steel plow discs. Cars handle Losi dots extremely well unlike any dot I've seen. 12th scale one of our largers classes handle them fine with no chunking problem. In fact hard corners IMO chunk stuff the worst...

Additionally whats nice about dots is you see your full car going through corners. Just watching ETS and the ATS race make you think about how cool that is!
This is exactly what i've been trying to convience races of at our track but now one wants to listen. They think these low profile Losi dots are going to act like plow disks and launch cars, some people are so one sided. Others feel the velcro or tape will damage the carpet, I don't believe it will. Our track in Fort Collins uses velcro to hold pipe in place and it hasn't damaged the carpet after 4 years of use.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB1013
That looks awesome.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

This is exactly what i've been trying to convience races of at our track but now one wants to listen. They think these low profile Losi dots are going to act like plow disks and launch cars, some people are so one sided. Others feel the velcro or tape will damage the carpet, I don't believe it will. Our track in Fort Collins uses velcro to hold pipe in place and it hasn't damaged the carpet after 4 years of use.
Its all about the correct dot and Losi just so happens to make it. There might be a dot out of Asia that works as well but Losi's are cheap and easy to get! Velcro is the key to our track. If not for it we would have hundreds of pounds of weight everywhere on the track. SRCR H30 carpet track is built each night and taken down. No bad side effects have been seen...
Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

GOOD LORD !! Is that ACTUALLY a hangar you guys have ?? How on earth did you make THAT deal ?? Gotta check out your thread.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

At my local, we are only a small club, and we basically just use old guttering on carpet bolted together

Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was able to run a few packs on our new layout with the Losi dots.

These ****little LOSI dots**** are not launch pads at all but they do slow the car down so you don't want to drive over too many of them because it will penalize you so a faster driver that drives clean will probably have a good opportunity to pass. Its kinda perfect if you ask me, but we have yet to race with 10 cars... so we'll see.

There remains one hard corner on our track( without any dots ). During the practice day this hard corner was the only reason any cars crashed wildly and tumbled out of control. The Losi dots just made the car hop and slow down. I actually don't think I saw a car flip over from the Losi Dots! Once traction comes up that may change.... probably not... but you get the idea. They aren't launch pads ! They actually act like big car FIA berms .. they slow you down but don't cause a wreck.

Yup, its Hangar 30 at the old Sand Point Naval base but now it is run by the Seattle Parks Department. Our club president, Todd Mason, has done an amazing job cultivating a great relationship with the parks department. So far our race fees easily cover the rental costs. Also we are in the process of building a permanent asphalt road course around SeaTac airport.

Jake D.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.