Wiki Posts
Search

From Tekin to LRP.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default From Tekin to LRP.

Just wondering who here has made the switch and an honest opinion on what you think. What do you like about LRP, what do you miss about Tekin ect ect.

I am a long time Tekin fan and I'm currently running an RS pro. I've never ran LRP but I'm thinking about trying an SXX V2 TC spec in my mod car. Should I switch?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use the RS and RS Pro, because they ran my motors much cooler, and with better brakes, than the Novak that I had been using. I only race blinky 17.5 rubber tire touring car. In all fairness, my skill set is probably on par with 'well equiped hobbiest' (three steps down from 'pro', two down from 'avid local hot shoe', one down from 'racer').

I had been dissatisfied with the first 2/3rds of the throttle throw feeling like less than 1/2 power, and then the light switch flicking on for full power with the last 1/3rd of trigger. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I tried expo curves (both in the Tekin and on the radio) but nothing ever felt 'linear', there was always a point where you can tell that it jumps up in power delivery on the top end.

Recently I changed to an LRP Stock Spec V2, also just running blinky. Throttle response is VERY crisp. I had to re-learn how to drive the car. Gearing was similar, but half throttle finger is half power, very reliable and repeatable, without the top end 'punch' that the Tekin was feeling like.

For me, it was enough of a feel difference to bring me up about one lap, but the biggest change was in my consistency from lap to lap. Our track uses JLaps, which displays Standard Deviation. I know that there are a lot of factors that effect SD, but since switching the the LRP, I'm much smoother, and more confident, and my SD keeps going down the more I practice.

I like the Tekin for most every one of it's features, and the fact that (unless some factions of ROAR get their way) it's future proof with firmware upgrades. I'm not the only one at my track that has felt the 2/3rds-1/3rd throttle feel in blinky with 212 firmware, and on a tip from one of my friends (thanks Fred ), I switched to the LRP.

Very happy change!

The latest (pending release) firmware from Tekin is supposed to be a HUGE change to throttle feel, bringing it on par with that of the LRP and others.

I'd say try it if your budget allows you to own two at once. One of the great things about the Tekin and the latest LRP speedos is that you can flip them easily in 'gently used' condition for nearly what you pay for them new.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I switched the the LRP in my 1s car primarily for a cleaner installation, after doing so I have found the LRP to be much smoother feeling and overall much nicer to drive; plus it is a cleaner looking speedo in my car.

I have noticed the LRP feels a touch "slower" in blinky, but I had one "fast" tekin and one "slow" one. Because of this; and the perception that the Tekin can be hacked (which it has) I think it should be banned in all blinky racing.

Not only is the LRP feel nicer to drive, but it also feels more honest for spec racing IMO.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wes Briscoe
I switched the the LRP in my 1s car primarily for a cleaner installation, after doing so I have found the LRP to be much smoother feeling and overall much nicer to drive; plus it is a cleaner looking speedo in my car.

I have noticed the LRP feels a touch "slower" in blinky, but I had one "fast" tekin and one "slow" one. Because of this; and the perception that the Tekin can be hacked (which it has) I think it should be banned in all blinky racing.

Not only is the LRP feel nicer to drive, but it also feels more honest for spec racing IMO.
CAN YOU OFFER PROOF or are you stating what you heard?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

None of our esc's have ever been hacked. Please stop spreading lame ass rumors.

Prove it or move on.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
None of our esc's have ever been hacked. Please stop spreading lame ass rumors.

Prove it or move on.
how can you make a blanket statment like that? you have no idea what people are doing with their own equipment. didn't it take about an hour for someone to hack a competors esc?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HenBeav
how can you make a blanket statment like that? you have no idea what people are doing with their own equipment. didn't it take about an hour for someone to hack a competors esc?
I saw a video somewhere of a guy doing it.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

They will always be cheaters out there no matter what esc..
Old 01-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
I use the RS and RS Pro, because they ran my motors much cooler, and with better brakes, than the Novak that I had been using. I only race blinky 17.5 rubber tire touring car. In all fairness, my skill set is probably on par with 'well equiped hobbiest' (three steps down from 'pro', two down from 'avid local hot shoe', one down from 'racer').

I had been dissatisfied with the first 2/3rds of the throttle throw feeling like less than 1/2 power, and then the light switch flicking on for full power with the last 1/3rd of trigger. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I tried expo curves (both in the Tekin and on the radio) but nothing ever felt 'linear', there was always a point where you can tell that it jumps up in power delivery on the top end.

Recently I changed to an LRP Stock Spec V2, also just running blinky. Throttle response is VERY crisp. I had to re-learn how to drive the car. Gearing was similar, but half throttle finger is half power, very reliable and repeatable, without the top end 'punch' that the Tekin was feeling like.

For me, it was enough of a feel difference to bring me up about one lap, but the biggest change was in my consistency from lap to lap. Our track uses JLaps, which displays Standard Deviation. I know that there are a lot of factors that effect SD, but since switching the the LRP, I'm much smoother, and more confident, and my SD keeps going down the more I practice.

I like the Tekin for most every one of it's features, and the fact that (unless some factions of ROAR get their way) it's future proof with firmware upgrades. I'm not the only one at my track that has felt the 2/3rds-1/3rd throttle feel in blinky with 212 firmware, and on a tip from one of my friends (thanks Fred ), I switched to the LRP.

Very happy change!

The latest (pending release) firmware from Tekin is supposed to be a HUGE change to throttle feel, bringing it on par with that of the LRP and others.

I'd say try it if your budget allows you to own two at once. One of the great things about the Tekin and the latest LRP speedos is that you can flip them easily in 'gently used' condition for nearly what you pay for them new.
This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! That's how my Tekin feels, and I'm kinda over it, I hear the LRP is super smooth. I also know there have been several people have problems overheating the RS Pro in mod, while I haven't personally had any issues, I personally know people who have... I keep telling myself to wait on the latest software but I have the patience of a 5 year old so I may pull the trigger and try blue for a bit...

Oh and I'm not trying to start an ESC war, I don't care who's hacked who. ANYBODY can be hacked, period! I just wanted to hear some input from people who have ran both and get their 2 cents on what they like about the LRP vs the Tekin
Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Ive got Tekin and one LRP. I had to send back my RX8 out of the box. Had a new one back from Tekin in a week. I just sent back the LRP.....almost 5 weeks ago. Its a good thing I have enough Tekins for all my cars. LRP's CS sucks in my opinion. They arent repairing it either. It needs to be replaced according to the person I talked to on the phone before sending it in. So why does it take 5 weeks to mail out a new esc? Especially when I'm paying for it. Unexceptable IMO. I dont care how the LRP "feels". I care about knowing problems will be taken care of if they arise. Because they will arise no matter whos stuff you run.

Anyone want to buy an LRP?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Odin544
Ive got Tekin and one LRP. I had to send back my RX8 out of the box. Had a new one back from Tekin in a week. I just sent back the LRP.....almost 5 weeks ago. Its a good thing I have enough Tekins for all my cars. LRP's CS sucks in my opinion. They arent repairing it either. It needs to be replaced according to the person I talked to on the phone before sending it in. So why does it take 5 weeks to mail out a new esc? Especially when I'm paying for it. Unexceptable IMO. I dont care how the LRP "feels". I care about knowing problems will be taken care of if they arise. Because they will arise no matter whos stuff you run.

Anyone want to buy an LRP?
I believe I've read your rant on here about that somewhere else (please take no offense to that just saying)

Yes I'm aware their customer service isn't gonna hold a candle to Tekins, I'm definitely not looking to jump the fence in search of better customer service, I know Tekin is second to none in that dept...

Thanks for your input
Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
I believe I've read your rant on here about that somewhere else (please take no offense to that just saying)

Yes I'm aware their customer service isn't gonna hold a candle to Tekins, I'm definitely not looking to jump the fence in search of better customer service, I know Tekin is second to none in that dept...

Thanks for your input
Actually thats the first I've posted of it. Must be several other people with the same experience.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Odin544
Actually thats the first I've posted of it. Must be several other people with the same experience.
Well I guess that just one more strike on LRP customer service then, lol.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

I've driven quite a lot with both Tekin and LRP in 1/12th scale the past couple years.

For throttle feel, the LRP is much better. Plus, the 1S BEC is very nice. By comparison, even in blinky, the Tekin is a light switch. I think that's why Tekins are usually nowhere to be found in Mod. Even without the full boosted setups the throttle is...ugh.

The argument about whether the Tekin is faster at the top end in blinky goes on. Personally, (assuming 212 of course) I'd say it's more rumor than fact. The fastest car in our club (13.5/blinky) is Peeler with a Stock Spec v.2. Below him there's a pretty even mix of LRP and Tekin.

In boosted, it's hard to argue against the Tekin. But, the throttle feel is horrible. To get that magic top end you have to set it up with a narrow timing range and constantly keep it on boil. There's basically only one way to drive: full clamp-blip to turn.

For sure, Hebert got it done with a Stock Spec at 2011 Nats. But, how much is there to take away from that for the rest of us? I've seen him race many times, and his abilities are a step above all around.

Still a helpful resource: www.rcprogear.com
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

this is relatie to where you live ,

Tekin = US based , 1 week warranty is possable

LRP = Germany based , 1 week warranty isnt possable , I am not defending anyone or slagging anyone off , this is just a point of view

I swapped from Tekin to Speed passion, not i feel the progession in throttle control , the Tekin was always a switch , NOTHING NOTHING BANG EVERYTHING

maybe this was my set ups or driving style but i didnt get on with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.