Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hakko Irons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

One thing I learned is to reduce the heat to min on the hakko stations. Being lazy I keep mine on high all day and the element finally broke in half, the was after 3 years of use though, so I would say they are made really well.
lol

Anybody know if the 907 ESD black edition iron will work with the 936 white station ?

By the way I got an email today with my purchase from EMSCO-USA
They said shipping is about $10 , so $79.95 shipped for a Hakko 936 ESD Station and 907 IRON is not that shabby.

Does anybody know if the tips for the 908 iron will fit on the 907 iron ? or are they too big ?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

Does anyone know where I can get the 908 iron at a good price?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 22dasher
How do these soldering irons comapre to the Weller WES51?

I own one just curious to how it would compare with the ones you guys mention here.

James

The Weller WES51 is the main competition for the Hakko. I own one and honestly feel that it's superior to the hakko in every possible way. For starters...it's heats from room temp to 850F within 20 seconds, is natively ESD-Safe and auto shuts down after 90 mins of inactivity. Secondly, replacement tips are easier to find, Plus it has a magnetic lockout to prevent other people from cranking it too high. Last but not least, it's made in the USA!

Go Weller!

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/Cooper...ller_WES51.asp
Old 12-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the input on the Weller, I'm just getting back into electrics and bought this from a guy posted here in the for sale section.

What tip do you find works best for the speed controls and assembly of battery packs?

I'm sure I'll need to get a different tip.

James
Old 12-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tequipment carries the 908, but...

I recently ordered a 936/908 from Tequipment. I have been very pleased with this iron so far. However, I would say that Tequipment was very slow with shipping the item to me.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:48 PM
SC
Tech Adept

I just purchased a Iron from Tequipment myself, I thought their shipping was rather fast...lol

Model: 936/907 Iron
Old 12-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

On the Hakko, how do you keep the tip from forming a crusty black layer on the tip? I keep it tinned and clean, but still forms after it sits for awhile. The tip does not stay as neat and clean as my huge Weller iron. After a couple months of use, my Hakko it is looking pretty bad! It just bugs me to replace the tip every couple months.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

radio shack has a tip cleaner/tinner that will keep that tip shiny new it comes in a little can awsome stuff just dip the tip in comes sparkling clean and tinned later
Old 12-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigragu
radio shack has a tip cleaner/tinner that will keep that tip shiny new it comes in a little can awsome stuff just dip the tip in comes sparkling clean and tinned later
This the stuff?
I'll give it a try, thanks.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

thats the stuff at radio shack. i use to use it. on my hakko i just wet the sponge and wipe the tip before and after i solder. my tips usually last a year.
3.2mm chisel tip.
but i am only racing every other week and using the soldering station at home once a week.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by erock1331
Anybody know if the 907 ESD black edition iron will work with the 936 white station ?
Does anybody know if the tips for the 908 iron will fit on the 907 iron ? or are they too big ?
Not sure about the iron but the part that plugs into the station is the same. I don't know if one of the pins on the black serves a different purpose on the white station. Go to Hakkos site & check out the irons in each user manual.
908 tips are to big for the 907.

Try Plato tips (http://www.platoproducts.com/) . They last longer and are less expensive than Hakko.

FWIW:
We usually leave our iron (936 w/907 iron) on full blast all raceday long,
not on purpose, just forgetful. Our Hakko Iron finally died after many years (@4+ years & i bought it used, lasted longer than a Ungar UTC-300) and i found the below station. Been working fine for 6 months now. I don't know if it's a relabeled Hakko or not. Madell said "it only looks like the Hakko, it's not a Hakko".

A new Madell Handle/Heater/Cable/Tip = $19 (this is what sold me on Madell)
A new Hakko handle/heater/cable/tip = $60+

If your Hakko iron ever dies, try the Madell replacement for $19, beats
soldering a new circuit board on the Hakko.

If i put the white hakko 936 station next to the Madell, they are EXACTLY the same CASE except my Madell is black. I didn't take them apart to check the inside.

The Madell VS Hakko Iron {keep in mind that my Hakko 907 Iron is OLD}
-- Madell uses tips that fit the Hakko 907
-- Madell chord @3 inches shorter than Hakko
-- Madell chord slightly "stiffer" than my old 907 chord but by no means "stiff"
-- Madell connector the same as the Hakko connecter that fits into the station
-- Both heat up to 800+ in @30 - 40 seconds
-- The Madell ceramic heater element is not white like my old 907 element. I don't know if the new Hakko Black 907 elements are white or not.
-- Madell Handle SLIGHTLY skinnier than my old 907 handle but i can't "feel" a difference.

Madell - http://www.madelltech.com/m3-8.html
Hakko - http://www.hakkousa.com/products.asp?PID=936-12&page=1
Old 12-24-2005, 04:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

From the looks of it the madell is just a relabled Hakko,intersting.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ridgewaybodies
On the Hakko, how do you keep the tip from forming a crusty black layer on the tip? I keep it tinned and clean, but still forms after it sits for awhile. The tip does not stay as neat and clean as my huge Weller iron. After a couple months of use, my Hakko it is looking pretty bad! It just bugs me to replace the tip every couple months.
You can use the tip cleaner or just keep the temp turned down,I try to keep mine at 600 degrees and I've had My hakko for about two years now and have yet to replace a tip.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 22dasher
How do these soldering irons comapre to the Weller WES51?
Weller makes the best soldering irons, period. I've got ones that are 15 years old and still solder perfectly. When I got back in to RC two months ago I purchased a WESD51 from Fry's with a ETD screwdriver tip. Soldering batteries and motors couldn't be easier. I only have to touch the tip or maybe 1-2 seconds. People at my track have tried it and were blown away.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Wellers are good..but that baby blue has got to go. Ewww.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.