Like Tree8Likes

Stomer Hobbies, Good or bad?

Old 01-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The only I miss at Stomers. Is they took away the email alert for out of stock items.

Other then that you can't go wrong ordering from them
Old 01-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Just figured I would post support for Stormer - had a very positive experience with a new E-Maxx in October. I really appreciate not messing around with coupon codes for discounts or 'free shipping' - just a straight reasonable price with a reasonable cost for shipping. Also, having everything organized such that I don't have to leave a comment or call to verify which frequency/color body I desire was nice - everything is segmented by product code. Quick shipping too!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

you have no worries with Stormer hobbies,one of if not the best online hobby shop
Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adanmtxt1
Just figured I would post support for Stormer - had a very positive experience with a new E-Maxx in October. I really appreciate not messing around with coupon codes for discounts or 'free shipping' - just a straight reasonable price with a reasonable cost for shipping. Also, having everything organized such that I don't have to leave a comment or call to verify which frequency/color body I desire was nice - everything is segmented by product code. Quick shipping too!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by nexxus
Does stormer still not accept Paypal?
At this time Stormer Hobbies does not. We revisit it every few years. I like to use paypal for personal internet auctions, I do not care for it, from a merchant perspective, for Stormer Hobbies.

Originally Posted by Andy w
Love Stormer... Prices are great but most of all you can call and get great help over the phone, and I am willing to pay more for that (but i'm not saying raise you prices).
Appreciate that.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Yeah sorry but as I have said before, a store running in an online environment is doing themselves a significant disservice not accepting what is the most widely used form of payment.

I don't trust stores that don't use Paypal, not a shot at any one store, it's a general rule, Just like I won't buy on the forums unless the person takes Paypal (Married blokes with joint accounts would appreciate that it's easier to build up a hobby stash in paypal than somewhere the wife can see it!) This is the 21st century no Paypal in an online store is like Walmart not having Credit Card facilities isn't it?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Never had a problem with stormer. Good prices and very fast shipping. I do agree that PayPal would be a very nice addition.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

wish they had easypay on some of the high price items like radios etc. but great place to deal with never any issues
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yeah sorry but as I have said before, a store running in an online environment is doing themselves a significant disservice not accepting what is the most widely used form of payment.

I don't trust stores that don't use Paypal, not a shot at any one store, it's a general rule, Just like I won't buy on the forums unless the person takes Paypal (Married blokes with joint accounts would appreciate that it's easier to build up a hobby stash in paypal than somewhere the wife can see it!) This is the 21st century no Paypal in an online store is like Walmart not having Credit Card facilities isn't it?
The fees that paypal charge sellers is ridiculous, why add a couple of dollars to every order to make paypal an option. All most every person that uses paypal has a credit card associated with their paypal account. If stormer accepted paypal the cost for the customer would just go up.

Best RC shop online without doubt.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tire Chunker
The fees that paypal charge sellers is ridiculous, why add a couple of dollars to every order to make paypal an option. All most every person that uses paypal has a credit card associated with their paypal account. If stormer accepted paypal the cost for the customer would just go up.

And there you have it. Couldn't have written it better myself.

It's my job to weigh all the possibilities to keep prices low. This is one of them. Good eye.

Appreciate your thoughts and taking the time to write. This is indeed the 21st century. I personally won't do business with a company that ONLY does paypal. Usually means they can't get a merchant account. Anybody can take paypal, fewer if any security standards involved. Interesting how the same thing can be viewed differently. I don't care for Paypal policies or the security standards. Yes, other companys have different security standards. We review the Paypal thing every year. We just discussed it again a few months ago. Don't look for it any time soon. Even BestBuy didn't start accepting paypal until about a year ago. Every company has reasons and concerns that need to be met. That's what makes each of us unique.

I understand the hobby stash thing.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-02-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tire Chunker

I disagree, I think that buyers should not buy from anyone online unless they accept Paypal, you have to have some sort of protection in today's environment. I used to buy and sell sports cards from the US, and the amount I lost because I didn't have protection that Paypal offered is simply scary. This from large stores as well as private collectors and I had absolutely no recourse, different country so the banks / authorities didn't want to know.

Yes there are fees, but Visa, Mastercard even eftpos all have fees as well. At a 20% mark up on items, isn't a 4% fee still better than not having the sale?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

I disagree, I think that buyers should not buy from anyone online unless they accept Paypal, you have to have some sort of protection in today's environment. I used to buy and sell sports cards from the US, and the amount I lost because I didn't have protection that Paypal offered is simply scary. This from large stores as well as private collectors and I had absolutely no recourse, different country so the banks / authorities didn't want to know.

Yes there are fees, but Visa, Mastercard even eftpos all have fees as well. At a 20% mark up on items, isn't a 4% fee still better than not having the sale?
While I agree that the PayPal protection is awesome (I have used it before with a different retailer that posts on rc tech) a credit card also allows you the protection of disputing charges. We are also lucky enough to have this forum so people can ask questions and order from a good seller like stormer.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paypal protection IMO isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Paypal will only refund the buyers money if they can extract it from the seller and with individuals this is very difficult as they can cancle cards close accoutns ect.

Not to mention the charges which are high for the small value items and paypals habbit of suddenly witholding funds for unjustified reasons whilst they earn interest on it.

I have purchased from stormer plenty of times over the years perfect transaction everytime.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by For_the_win
Title says it. There are a couple of things i would like to order and i dont know anyone who has ordered from them.
This thread is a good read, especially regarding the Paypal debate from the merchant's perspective. But honestly, It's hard for me to believe this question was even asked. Then again, there has to be a first time for everything. I think my first time looking at a Stormer Hobbies ad was in RC Car Action Magazine back in the late 80s or early 90s. I wish I had a forum like this to ask questions back then.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by frozenpod
Paypal protection IMO isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Paypal will only refund the buyers money if they can extract it from the seller and with individuals this is very difficult as they can cancle cards close accoutns ect.

Not to mention the charges which are high for the small value items and paypals habbit of suddenly witholding funds for unjustified reasons whilst they earn interest on it.

I have purchased from stormer plenty of times over the years perfect transaction everytime.
See from a buyers perspective it is worthwhile, nothing is more frustrating than buying an item online, and it doesn't show up, you contact the merchant and you get the "give it 8 weeks" line, in short they don't care, they don't have any need to, they have your money.

By holding the funds, Paypal is giving the merchant a welcome nudge to make the effort to follow things up with the purchaser, the freight company, whoever.

Paypal keeps online stores accountable to the customer.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by beemerfan
This thread is a good read, especially regarding the Paypal debate from the merchant's perspective. But honestly, It's hard for me to believe this question was even asked. Then again, there has to be a first time for everything. I think my first time looking at a Stormer Hobbies ad was in RC Car Action Magazine back in the late 80s or early 90s. I wish I had a forum like this to ask questions back then.
And that's the important thing. It's your money after all. A little research is a good thing. Whether you like Tower, or Stormer or Amain or any others, is of little concern. You should do your research and shop where it's a good fit for you. Just like the OP did in this thread. Being informed is a good thing!

We've been in the industry short of 30 years, spent millions in advertising and have our name all over this very forum as a sponsor, and people have never heard of us. That's a good thing to me. Means the hobby is alive and well! And people shop and look around and see things they haven't seen before. Makes me happy when people have no idea who we are. Makes me happy when people do.

-Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.