Wiki Posts
Search

Parma foam tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Parma foam tires?

The Lhs has some in. Have any of you guys tried them? What compounds work well on carpet? They are pretty cheap which is cool. I'm running a Tamiya TB-02, I'm not sure if they will fit since they're 28mm, but still wondering what the word is on these tires.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

These tire's are really good and you can't beat the price. The wear (IMO) seem to be better than the Jaco's. What compound you use depends on the track you race at. We have been using a softer compound out my way. I believe it's a cyan/magenta compound.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
The parma tires are awesome just changed over from the jacos the wear is better on the parmas an the rims seem to be more durable.Cyan/magentas have been working for me also on carpet.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The tires are GREAT! On carpet I would run purple and plaids on a high grip carpet using stock. Use Cyan and Magentas for mod or even stock in a low grip carpet traction.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

I've been using cyan/magenta on carpet. The wear and price is great.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Has anyone run there Plaid/Purple's yet? i got some for christmas and just want to know what the wear is like,ect..

thanks, merry christmas

lazyboy
Old 12-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

I've been using same set of Parma Plaid/Purple for past 3 race nights. Started them off at 59mm, after 3 nights (about 15 runs) they are down to 56mm ish. Excellent wear.

I'm sold on Parma foams. Great wear, and best part.. they don't seperate from the rim like Jaco does.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by razzo
I've been using same set of Parma Plaid/Purple for past 3 race nights. Started them off at 59mm, after 3 nights (about 15 runs) they are down to 56mm ish. Excellent wear.

I'm sold on Parma foams. Great wear, and best part.. they don't seperate from the rim like Jaco does.

sweet..im currently running the cyan/magenta tire combo and i love it, not to sticky after two runs with out cleaning tires and perfect wear...

thanks for the info razzo
Old 12-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by lazyboy
sweet..im currently running the cyan/magenta tire combo and i love it, not to sticky after two runs with out cleaning tires and perfect wear...

thanks for the info razzo
The problem with the Parma's is the inside diameter of their rims are very small. I was going to try some last week but after measuring the inside diameter of them, I decided not to buy them. I run a 415 and this smaller diameter will not work.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by koabich
The problem with the Parma's is the inside diameter of their rims are very small. I was going to try some last week but after measuring the inside diameter of them, I decided not to buy them. I run a 415 and this smaller diameter will not work.
well i run a tc3/4 so that doesnt really affect me alot, but thanks for pointing that out. with them being a smaller inner diamiter does that affect the setup on a car or anything else?

thanks lazy
Old 12-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The Parma tires and TRC all have a 1.85 inner diameter. I have over 30 pair of the new Parmas and they are the same as my old TRC wheels.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by John Tag
The Parma tires and TRC all have a 1.85 inner diameter. I have over 30 pair of the new Parmas and they are the same as my old TRC wheels.
i knew the tires came from the same place, but i guess there isnt a different besides 26mm and 28mm? i dont think trc does 28mm but i could be mistaken?

thanks for clearing that up
Old 12-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by John Tag
I have just measured the insid3e diameter of several different manufactures wheels at my LHS the other day and the Parma and TRC wheels they had did not measure the same. As a matter of fact, all the Parma's I looked at had a smaller diameter rim. I measured several sets of each of the following brands (listed in order from the largest inside diameter to tthe smallest):
-Jaco
-TRC (yellow dish wheel)
-TRC (new black spoked wheel)
-Parma

If I remember correctly, the inside diameter difference between the Jaco and Parma was something close to 2mm.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by lazyboy
well i run a tc3/4 so that doesnt really affect me alot, but thanks for pointing that out. with them being a smaller inner diamiter does that affect the setup on a car or anything else?

thanks lazy
Actually, it does effect the TC3 (not sure on the TC4 since I never owned one), because the Parma's will rub on the front ball cups and cause interference issues. Now I haven't run my TC3 for over 1 year but back then the TRC wheels used to rub bad along with the old Jaco's. Jaco bumped up the size of their rims 1 mm to eliminate this rubbing. As I stated above, the newest batch of wheels used by Jaco, TRC and Parma are not the same diameter...the are all different sizes. Funny thing is that even the new TRC's rims are shorter than the old yelow dish ones. According to my LHS the tires I measured were not new-old-stock but were brand new stock. I cannot say for sure if there is a varience in the size rims used by Parma or TRC or if they have changed rims recently but I can say that the Jaco's I measured were the exact same diameter as those I have been using for the last year and a half.

As long as the outside diameter of the wheels are the same, the inside diameter of the rim will not effect set-up too much. But remember because of the diameter of the rim, a Jaco cut to 60mm will have less foam than a Parma cut to 60mm. Since the Parma has a taller side wall at 60mm, it will not have the same handeling characteristics as a 60mm Jaco with a shorter side wall.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Also remember: since switching to the large diameter wheel in the spring of '03, JACO has not lost a major modified TC race. All the drivers (Blackstock, Cyrul, Burch, Lemieux, Baker, Orr....) claim the larger diameter wheel is a big advantage. In fact they claim that there is actually LESS wear than on the smaller, more flexible rims. It depends on whether you want the highest performing tires or the least expensive when you make your choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.