Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2012 R.O.A.R. Electric On Road Paved Nationals >

2012 R.O.A.R. Electric On Road Paved Nationals

2012 R.O.A.R. Electric On Road Paved Nationals

Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It seems like a cool class. They are wicked fast but I dunno they just never seemed to catch on here (and apparently many other places). We no longer have a carpet program but all the guys at the track still race carpet (either with you guys or most often in Indy).
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
2012 carpet nationals: WGT 25 cars - VTA 17 cars. Both mod classes had less than 20 cars each.
There were 7 classes run at that event
Same source
That is why I pointed out it was more of a carpet class. Outside of Cleveland, I haven't seen it at a lot of club tracks.

The class has grown on the carpet tracks like 1/12 scale did. If you don't have a good carpet program in the area then it is quite likely that you won't have WGT cars. There is no reason that they couldn't run on any track that a 1/12 scale can as they have a higher spec ground clearance. As you go north it gets tougher and tougher to have a outdoor program as the pavement suffers in the winter. I only know of two pavement facilities in Ohio, yours and Toledo. WGT was new in 2008 and has only been run at two paved nationals which were both on the east coast. Our WGT car count has gone up steadily since the class was introduced. This year it was easily our largest local class for club races.
It has never been popular even on carpet in WI/IL/IN as far as i have traveled. There would be a few cars sometimes a club races (and that was a couple years ago when they first came out) or 6 or 8 at a series race, but it's not big around here.

I'm not trying to say it's a bad class, I'm sure it's fun. If 1/12 was not mandated, I'm not sure if that would be run based on typical turnout. As I said earlier, there is a surprising turnout for 17.5 1/12 at the host track already. There hasn't been any WGT cars though.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

its almost impossible to run a class that isnt run locally...last year I got a couple of sad faces cause I didnt run Mini or F1 at the US VTA Southern Nationals. But I did run TC, which isnt "scale" in anyway...but I did have a local following that supported the class, along with VTA and GT. As a host track they have to have local support from the classes that are the norm...its more of a soft pillow for the track
Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

In the three years since resurrection, electric on-road racing at Leisure has really taken off !! But, this is the first year that I have ever seen a 1/12 scale car there, along with 13.5 1/10 scale TC. Heck, I didn't know what a 1/12 car looked like until 5 weeks ago !
That being said, it is what it is. Run what the rules show, or wait 'til next year !
Old 05-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
WGT
2011 paved nationals: 8 cars
2010 paved nationals: 8 cars
2009 paved nationals: not run

http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=315

It's more of a carpet class. Personally, i was hoping F1 might be run, but really, it's not real big around here either. Unfortunately, not everything is worth the cost in time and effort.
I just wanted to add to this that these races were lightly attended in general with an average of 102 entries. We had more than that for our regional. They were more than happy to have those 8 cars.
Hopefully this race will be better attended as the mid-west seems to support on road racing more.
The cost, time and effort statement is a very poor argument. I have worked the organizational side for races with close to 500 entries (back in the day). We do this for the love of the hobby and if you can't or don't want to then the task should not have been undertaken.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Another bad desicion from ROAR and the host track.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Leisure looks like a great place.. From the pictures, guys going to this race will be in for a great race.
From a guy who hosted a nats, your not going to be able to please everyone.You do the best you can, you offer the best venue you can, and try to make sure everyone has a great time.
Concerns about this race or any other ROAR race should be posted on the roar forum . That's the one your elected officials police.
If any of the owners of leisure need some input or suggestions from someone that just ran a nats, feel free to pm me
I hope to make this race
Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Rookie

For the record no one personally contacted us regarding the wgt class to be considered or campaigned for it to be included, all the classes being run were specifically required to be run by ROAR or by feedback from the racers.

No one who is campaigning for this class either called us or emailed us why this should be included. Hard to know what people want if no one contacts us personally
Old 05-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Rumor is that we are very close to knowing what the Spec. Tire will be... (The rumor is what tire has been selected, but until it is official, not going to add it Thread 1....)
Old 05-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LEISUREHOUR
For the record no one personally contacted us regarding the wgt class to be considered or campaigned for it to be included, all the classes being run were specifically required to be run by ROAR or by feedback from the racers.

No one who is campaigning for this class either called us or emailed us why this should be included. Hard to know what people want if no one contacts us personally
And there you have it !!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I just wanted to add to this that these races were lightly attended in general with an average of 102 entries. We had more than that for our regional. They were more than happy to have those 8 cars.
Hopefully this race will be better attended as the mid-west seems to support on road racing more.
The cost, time and effort statement is a very poor argument. I have worked the organizational side for races with close to 500 entries (back in the day). We do this for the love of the hobby and if you can't or don't want to then the task should not have been undertaken.
The point is there is limited daylight for outdoor races. You can't have an 18 hour race day like some of the carpet races.

I also know for a fact that the LH staff and helpers are 100% behind the effort. That is not influencing those decisions in any way.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not sure if this has been covered yet or not, so here goes......

At this year's carpet Nats a ROAR exemption was made that allowed individuals to race both stock and Mod 12th scale. Will this be the case at the Paved Nats as well?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
How about we just kill off everything with a foam tire. Problem solved.

On asphalt? That's cool as long as we can dispose of ALL rubber classes on Carpet. Well all rubber classes but M-Chassis, because they're actually fun......
Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

pump your brakes...VTA is fun on carpet and asphalt...YUMMY!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LEISUREHOUR

I did not know that it was required that a class be requested by racers to be included. When we ran our regional we consulted with the regional director, Mr. Dunn. We also have a group of racers that pay attention to and race at other venues. We value their input in making the class list. We also would keep open any class providing it fit in the and had enough entries with a date cutoff. We have a issue with pit space so we put a cap on the number of drivers or entries. I would suggest that you consider that option since as has been stated you have to work with the daylight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.