Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help wiht old car please

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default need help wiht old car please

I originally posted this on the Trinity Web site and RCCA, but can't get any responses.

I recently got this car in a trade. It seems to be a pretty old switchblade. It came with a manual for a switchblade, but it is a little different model. The manual says for a Spashet edition (older) and has a graphite chasis and two small damper tubes in the rear. Mine has a fiberglass chassis and one long tube. Here are my questions:

1. Parts seem a little hard to find (actually nearly impossible). Would parts form the newer car fit (like t-plate, pack pillows etc) I know the front end is a little different. It would be nice if that part of the website were working.

2. I found this kit on the horizon website. It seems to be a graphite conversion. COuld I use it?
Converison Kit

3. Anything I should know about it?

Pics on my page: http://community.webshots.com/album/40445406lueJMa
Attached Thumbnails need help wiht old car please-mvc-002s.jpg  
Old 06-14-2002, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Your car uses a T-plate for rear suspension movement, not damper tubes, from what I can see. It looks like the conversion kit would work to update the car. Keep trying to reach someone at Trinity to confirm what you have and what might be compatible. Have you posted your question on the 12th scale thread? If not, try there too.
Old 06-15-2002, 12:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

24601- Nice car, I think the chassis is actually graphite but can't really tell from the photo. Normal Associated/Trinity T-bars should work on it. Remembering my magazines from 3yrs ago when I came back to the sport your car was the pre-worlds Spashett edition. After the 98 "On Track Worlds" in England where Spashett cleaned house they slightly modified the car with the edition of 2 damper tubes and I think purple flake graphite pieces.

Basically your car is actually somewhat current except for the one damper tube. Trinity also included in the car kit two different front suspension setups and you could decide which one you wanted to use on your car when you built it.

One was the "Revolver" setup that most of the fast guys use that has the links. They use this one because it allows more adjustability of the front roll center, camber gain, and reactive caster and it's stronger. The one on your car was the second front end called the "Switchblade" front end. This one seemed to be geared towards ease of adjustment but lacks some of the adjustability of the "Revolver" front end.

Regarding the conversion kit, great show(find)! I didn't know Trinity had one out and it's a great thing for spare parts at a good price. You should be able to use it although you may have to continue using the front suspension top plate that you currently have if you don't have the Revolver front suspension. You should be able to tell if the holes line up but I don't think they do. You could also buy the Revolver front end I think if you want to use it with the conversion kit. The only other thing I can think of that you may have to add to the conversion kit may be something your car doesn't already possess and that's the two damper tubes. They cost $10 each and are shorter than the one on your car. You may be able to shorten the one on your car and only have to buy one but I would make sure they are the same diamerter before I went that route.

All in all you should be able to actually run your car pretty competitively as it is or use the conversion kit to bring it up to latest spec. If you plan on running the car I would recommend you joining in regularly at the 12th thread. If you have never run 12th before then take the time to read through all of the post and I think you will learn a lot about 12th racing and setting up your Switchblade. Hope this helps.- Dave A.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info. THe chassis is fiberglass, and it is the switchblade front end (the book I have shows the revolver--not mine)

I think I will look into the conversion kit.