R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #1276
Tech Regular
 
madmiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: canberra
Posts: 278
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeone View Post
Are the yokomo gear diffs are they from the BD7 and is there any mod to putting them in. Could I run the Spec R's yokomo gear diff that they make or is the one from yokomo better?
Yes you can use the yokomo diff all you need to do is shim them out properly with the red spacers used on the ex diff.i personally would stay away from spec r
__________________
MIL ROGIC

http://www.topracing.net.au
HOBBYWING
FUTABA
madmiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #1277
Tech Fanatic
 
Typeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 781
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

So I see Top Racing coming out with the Sabre S4. I talked to Michael from Top and said it's geared more to the Asian market but the kit seems like it's up to date like all the new touring cars like the top deck, split mounts, looks like lower bulk heads most of the options and new motor mount. I want to know if I could use the motor mount and split mounts on my EX. And if so do I have to buy the new chassis?
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. PHOTON EX-image.jpg  
__________________
TRF101/Tamiya F104-V2/ TRF Tamiya 417/ Smokem FX chassis & V7 conversion/ Speed Passion/ Sweep Racing/ Futaba/ SMC
Typeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #1278
Tech Fanatic
 
Typeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 781
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Also can I use the Yokomo BD7 Titanium coated main gear shaft instead of the stock steel one that comes with the EX. Also what rear suspension arms, hubs work on the EX (Tamiya, Yokomo). Also running on asphalt is it best to run 46mm shafts in front and 44mm in the rear?
__________________
TRF101/Tamiya F104-V2/ TRF Tamiya 417/ Smokem FX chassis & V7 conversion/ Speed Passion/ Sweep Racing/ Futaba/ SMC

Last edited by Typeone; 12-16-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Typeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #1279
Tech Elite
 
A Ilievski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: A.C.T (Australia)
Posts: 2,645
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeone View Post
So I see Top Racing coming out with the Sabre S4. I talked to Michael from Top and said it's geared more to the Asian market but the kit seems like it's up to date like all the new touring cars like the top deck, split mounts, looks like lower bulk heads most of the options and new motor mount. I want to know if I could use the motor mount and split mounts on my EX. And if so do I have to buy the new chassis?
I would be guessing they don't fit the current car, and no you won't be able to use the S4 bottom deck. Best bet is to buy the layshaft assembly/motor mount and get a custom bottom deck for the EX made up.

Bulk heads, diff mounts , blocks and towers are from the TOP Scythe, new parts consist of centre assembly, top and lower decks.
__________________
Alex Ilievski
*AWESOMATIX * R1 WURKS * PLAIG BEARINGS*
A Ilievski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #1280
Tech Fanatic
 
Typeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 781
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Ok looks like a great chassis just don't want to buy something with cheap aluminum cause tweaking the bulkheads would be a serious problem. Idk i want it for the new design looks great but I want a good quality car like the EX.
__________________
TRF101/Tamiya F104-V2/ TRF Tamiya 417/ Smokem FX chassis & V7 conversion/ Speed Passion/ Sweep Racing/ Futaba/ SMC
Typeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #1281
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salem
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeone View Post
Ok looks like a great chassis just don't want to buy something with cheap aluminum cause tweaking the bulkheads would be a serious problem. Idk i want it for the new design looks great but I want a good quality car like the EX.
I talked to EJ about this car. I first thought it was going to replace the EX. But what OD said is correct. From what I've heard the New EX will be a lot higher quality better fit parts, and the aluminum is 7075. (Unlike the Sabre)
__________________
T.O.P Racing USA

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #1282
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salem
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeone View Post
Ok looks like a great chassis just don't want to buy something with cheap aluminum cause tweaking the bulkheads would be a serious problem. Idk i want it for the new design looks great but I want a good quality car like the EX.


Im trying to talk EJ into leaking me some pictures of the new EX to post. Also heard a rumor of new shocks.. Just a rumor..
__________________
T.O.P Racing USA

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #1283
Tech Fanatic
 
Typeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 781
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris View Post
Im trying to talk EJ into leaking me some pictures of the new EX to post. Also heard a rumor of new shocks.. Just a rumor..
So besides the Sabre S4 there's going to be a NEW EX in the making sounds promising. I think I'm going to pick up some 3Racing SSK dcjs for the front. I have the V2 front hubs, what size of wheels hubs do I use from 3Racing or it doesn't matter as long as the wheel hubs are from them. Is there any shimming or just the v2 hubs and wheel hubs?
__________________
TRF101/Tamiya F104-V2/ TRF Tamiya 417/ Smokem FX chassis & V7 conversion/ Speed Passion/ Sweep Racing/ Futaba/ SMC
Typeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #1284
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salem
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeone View Post
So besides the Sabre S4 there's going to be a NEW EX in the making sounds promising. I think I'm going to pick up some 3Racing SSK dcjs for the front. I have the V2 front hubs, what size of wheels hubs do I use from 3Racing or it doesn't matter as long as the wheel hubs are from them. Is there any shimming or just the v2 hubs and wheel hubs?
T.O.P has their own DCJS. They work really well and are super strong.
__________________
T.O.P Racing USA

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #1285
Tech Fanatic
 
Typeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 781
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Yeah but kinda pricy and my local hobby shop has them in stock. So I order to use them what do I need to do?? Also does the tamiya metal gears for the gear diff work in the ex gear diff?
__________________
TRF101/Tamiya F104-V2/ TRF Tamiya 417/ Smokem FX chassis & V7 conversion/ Speed Passion/ Sweep Racing/ Futaba/ SMC

Last edited by Typeone; 12-16-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Typeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #1286
Tech Fanatic
 
Typeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 781
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

I have the aluminum belt pulleys and when I installed it I had a lot of side to side play how much do I have to shim it from the slop in there?
__________________
TRF101/Tamiya F104-V2/ TRF Tamiya 417/ Smokem FX chassis & V7 conversion/ Speed Passion/ Sweep Racing/ Futaba/ SMC
Typeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #1287
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salem
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

until it goes away. LOL... I really don't know. I have never used the aluminum pulleys
__________________
T.O.P Racing USA

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #1288
Tech Addict
 
Robert_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Netherlands, Sweet Lake City
Posts: 500
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeone View Post
I have the aluminum belt pulleys and when I installed it I had a lot of side to side play how much do I have to shim it from the slop in there?

Play on the shaft? Try to reduce to 0.2mm with shims (wheel bearing shims will fit)

Play on the spurgear it's self between the two pulleys is a bit harder, but sometimes a 3mm shim will fit

Regards Robert
__________________
Sponsored by: Schumacher Racing and Dualsky
Supported by: Shepherd Benelux and Thunder Tiger.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #1289
Tech Addict
 
Robert_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Netherlands, Sweet Lake City
Posts: 500
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

So for my understanding.

The Sabre S4 is a lower cost, and "lower quality" car (altough it has a lot of Photon EX Parts). But cheaper and mostly for the Asian market.
The manual is online and you can allready pre-order it at some Asian shops. So only the Aluminium and carbon would have a lower quality.

But as far as I understand there is also a new Photon EX coming? Any news on that one?

Regards Robert
__________________
Sponsored by: Schumacher Racing and Dualsky
Supported by: Shepherd Benelux and Thunder Tiger.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #1290
Tech Fanatic
 
Typeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 781
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
So for my understanding.

The Sabre S4 is a lower cost, and "lower quality" car (altough it has a lot of Photon EX Parts). But cheaper and mostly for the Asian market.
The manual is online and you can allready pre-order it at some Asian shops. So only the Aluminium and carbon would have a lower quality.

But as far as I understand there is also a new Photon EX coming? Any news on that one?

Regards Robert
Correct it's prob not 7075 aluminum prob something cheaper cause the cost of the Sabre S4 is $290 and the Ex v2 is like $370 or something like that.
__________________
TRF101/Tamiya F104-V2/ TRF Tamiya 417/ Smokem FX chassis & V7 conversion/ Speed Passion/ Sweep Racing/ Futaba/ SMC
Typeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car keithander Electric On-Road 9064 06-14-2017 12:46 PM
T.O.P. Photon Mr Merc 916 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 09-18-2010 08:03 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:36 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net