Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #991
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWTF View Post
Hey Guys,

I've never been happy with my EX, and may have found an issue...

The car 'seems' tweaked. When I lift an end up, one wheel sits about 4mm higher then the other. So its the left hand rear (motor side) and opposite front that have the issue. This is with a battery in the car, strap not to tight. Also, it sits perfectly on chassis blocks... flat and nice. The chassis itself is twisting differently!

ie, on blocks, I can see the chassis 'flexing' and lifting those opposite wheels (Doing the tweak test on chassis blocks)

L/R balance is perfect

I tried loosening the servo mounts and the motor mount mount screws and the layshaft screws.

This car has always hooked turning right, and I could not figure it out. Is my chassis plate stuffed? I replaced the top deck and no difference.

As said, from new I have had trouble getting this car to turn without snapping mid corner.... particularly right.

Any help appreciated...

Phill
i also have found similiar problems with my ex. with my old photon i could always make adjustments to get the car a little better for various conditions. this new chassis has just been all over the board. tweak has just been horrible . at the end of the outdoor season the tweak was so bad that i had almost a 1/4 inch of difference in the shock collar positions and tweak was still off by a mile. so in a fit of frustration i completely tore the car down to a bare chassis plate. to my surprise i found it was flat.
i did find one of the shock shafts were ground down 1 mm more than the rest(my fault), i also found that one of the shock collars were sliding around at will, so i replaced them all with the old ones from the old photon. i also found a coil spring on the rear(306) that had a slightly smaller id than the others and would not seat properly on the spring seat.
So now the car is reassembled with new springs,shock collars,servo mount,shock shafts,aluminum lower spring seats. I also bought a set of small digital scales and have all my corner weights within a gram left to right. Now all my shock collars are also at identical positions. Here in a couple of weeks i will be able to test this out,and see if all these things were the cause of my incredible loss of talent or i am just that terrible of a driver. I also ordered a new 12th scale to help enhance my skills over the winter....come the end of winter i will either have a ton of rc stuff on ebay or i will have a huge smile on my face...

insanity takes it's toll...please have exact change
bpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #992
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWTF View Post
Hey Guys,

I've never been happy with my EX, and may have found an issue...

The car 'seems' tweaked. When I lift an end up, one wheel sits about 4mm higher then the other. So its the left hand rear (motor side) and opposite front that have the issue. This is with a battery in the car, strap not to tight. Also, it sits perfectly on chassis blocks... flat and nice. The chassis itself is twisting differently!

ie, on blocks, I can see the chassis 'flexing' and lifting those opposite wheels (Doing the tweak test on chassis blocks)

L/R balance is perfect

I tried loosening the servo mounts and the motor mount mount screws and the layshaft screws.

This car has always hooked turning right, and I could not figure it out. Is my chassis plate stuffed? I replaced the top deck and no difference.

As said, from new I have had trouble getting this car to turn without snapping mid corner.... particularly right.

Any help appreciated...

Phill
The chassis does have some flex in it... by design to help generate mechanical grip.

Assume you have checked all of the obvious stuff like suspension, ackermann, tie rod lengths and radio settings?

If you are using the velcro strap then that is probably the cause. As an experiment leave the velcro loose and use tape across the battery through one on the slots. With the tape across there is no risk of the battery falling out as the end holders do an excellent job.

You will find the car completely different to drive. Same goes for the new servo mount.

Also make sure you have some play in the centre pulley screw as per the instructions.
vr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #993
Tech Adept

Hey guys, I think I have a problem! With the spur gear loose, when the car is on the stand and i go off throttle the spur moves up! This problem stops when it is tight. What is the difference from tight to loose? Why does the manual suggest it loose? And loose means 1/2 turn from tight or 2 turns from tight?

rcdim.blogspot.gr
www.the-painter.gr
Mitropoulos Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #994
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitropoulos Jim View Post
Hey guys, I think I have a problem! With the spur gear loose, when the car is on the stand and i go off throttle the spur moves up! This problem stops when it is tight. What is the difference from tight to loose? Why does the manual suggest it loose? And loose means 1/2 turn from tight or 2 turns from tight?
Jim..
Find a screw with a bigger head and the movement will go away and you can run it loose.
Mike
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #995
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Jim..
Find a screw with a bigger head and the movement will go away and you can run it loose.
Mike
Mike,
Thanks for your answer. But i dont understand how a screw with a bigger head will fit. And if it fits how will this help remove the play? And finaly, where can someone find such screws?

rcdim.blogspot.gr
www.the-painter.gr
Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #996
Tech Apprentice

Does anybody know with kind of spurs fit the top photon ex?
I tried xenon V2 spurs i had from my tcx but they don't fit.
stofke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #997
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stofke View Post
I think I used a kimbrough on mine.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #998
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Kit comes with Kimbrough.

I'm using Xenon's without any issues. By v2 you mean panaracer ones? Those are also works without issues

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #999
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by stofke View Post
The V2 spur will work as well, but you have to use 0.2-0.3 shims between the spur and the small screws.Use 4 shims on each side and it will have no play. I did that and had no issues at all.

rcdim.blogspot.gr
www.the-painter.gr
Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #1000
Tech Adept

New parts...

New chassis, upper deck, plastic steering knucles, rear sway bar,maybe DCJs, what else?

rcdim.blogspot.gr
www.the-painter.gr
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #1001
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)

I'm looking for a good VTA, 17.5, 1S, Carpet, med-high grip set sheet for my cool Photon EX. Any help is appreciated. Hanulec?

On-Road Only!
BardSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #1002
pmc
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitropoulos Jim View Post

New parts...

New chassis, upper deck, plastic steering knucles, rear sway bar,maybe DCJs, what else?
Hello

Maybe new parts , but in the photo seen the stiff chassi plate and the stiff upper deck.

This photo is from the Steven Weiss cars??

Best regards:
Pedro Silva
pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #1003
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardSmith View Post
I'm looking for a good VTA, 17.5, 1S, Carpet, med-high grip set sheet for my cool Photon EX. Any help is appreciated. Hanulec?
Most people run 25.5 7.4v Trans Am not 17.5 3.7v like MMR.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #1004
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
As I posted on my SPR thread -- I know Kyle runs the Reflex Racing TC6 LCD, and EJ usually runs the Hot Bodies DCJs.
Guys,

Purchased the Reflex Racing TC6 LCD and Hot Bodies DCJs.

Findings as follows:
- The TC6 LCD dogbone won't fit in the TOP EX spool or gear diff outdrive.
- HB DCJ dogbone won't fit EX gear diff outdrive (yet to try in the spool)

Have you modified the dogbones or outdrives to get these to fit?

Also, looked at the TC6 spool outrives online, note they have a similar square to the TOP spool outdrive (the end fitted to spool).

Has anyone tried these? Don't really like the look of these, appear to be made from composite / plastic material ... but might be worth a try.

Cheers

TOP Photon EX 17.5 + TOP Photon EX 21.5 + TOP Rebel F1 21.5

ORCA | Tekin RS Pro | Tekin Gen 2 RPM | Ko Pro-Po | EPIC Trinity
mazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #1005
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardSmith View Post
One thing you really need to do in order to get these cars to work with 1S is move the servo to the other side of the car and mount all your electronics as close to the center as possible. With the new car you can set it up on little set up pins so you can get the balance from side to side as equal as possible. But mounting the servo on the other side should get you really close. And just use the one of the carpet setups on the wiki page. That should do ya just fine.
Mr. Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote