Search
Like Tree1Likes

T.O.P. PHOTON EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
If your car is loose theirs other things to look at.

Roll center front and rear, springs, shock oil, etc. Have you posted your setup? if not, post it and we'll give you some suggestions.

I will say my car's current setup is not easy to drive for those that like to shoot into the corner, it will be loose. But if you drive it smooth it's very fast and easy to control. So some of it is driving style.
It was kit setup minus sway bars and shorter front wheel base. Throughout the day I tried softer rear spring, raised rear roll center and some others but not much help.

I've got some changes I would like to try this weekend and if all else fails I'll throw on Hanulec's latest setup.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Stew
It was kit setup minus sway bars and shorter front wheel base. Throughout the day I tried softer rear spring, raised rear roll center and some others but not much help.

I've got some changes I would like to try this weekend and if all else fails I'll throw on Hanulec's latest setup.
The kit setup is very aggressive with the amount of flex in this chassis. So i could see why the car could be loose.

One of the biggest adjustments is the wheelbase. Try adjusting the arms so more weight is sitting up front versus the rear. In others words push the fronts and rear arms all the way back. Adjust forward slightly if it dumbs down the car to much. Raising the rear roll center was going the wrong direction. You want the lower the roll center to gain grip.

Mikes setup may be a good place to start but he's running all that xRay stuff. So his setup parameters may not work with the TOP stock parts.

I personally love this car with NO third party options. Not sure why people are putting $150 worth of parts on a car that is good the way it is.

My only issues are the Aluminum quality on the V2 steering blocks, they bend way to easy, and the gear diff leaking so bad.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

The kit setup is very aggressive with the amount of flex in this chassis. So i could see why the car could be loose.

One of the biggest adjustments is the wheelbase. Try adjusting the arms so more weight is sitting up front versus the rear. In others words push the fronts and rear arms all the way back. Adjust forward slightly if it dumbs down the car to much. Raising the rear roll center was going the wrong direction. You want the lower the roll center to gain grip.

Mikes setup may be a good place to start but he's running all that xRay stuff. So his setup parameters may not work with the TOP stock parts.

I personally love this car with NO third party options. Not sure why people are putting $150 worth of parts on a car that is good the way it is.

My only issues are the Aluminum quality on the V2 steering blocks, they bend way to easy, and the gear diff leaking so bad.
Yeah I realized afterwords I went the wrong way on the rear link.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

What oil are you running in the shocks?

I 'thought' I was using kit setup but did not really notice it uses 60wt front 40wt rear. I was using the same all around. Changing this made a MASSIVE improvement for me. (I'm using 40wt front 30wt rear - bumpy track)

I also went to 2k oil in the gear diff, long links in the rear and removed the bulkhead camber link spacer (rear)

Phill
Old 07-19-2012, 07:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i only add this ECS stuff to make the car better/improve corner speed. i too really dig this car. i only have one old Photon as 'backup'... but i think that will hit the curb as soon as i can get a EX on carpet and prove it out.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

trying drastic changes is sometimes the only thing you can do to get your car's setup moving in the right direction. i just make sure to write down my setups prior to major changes -- and then only change one major component at a time like-

- roll centers
- shocks
- springs
- camber link (front or rear -- not both at same time)
- track width (front or rear -- not both at same time again)

it helps if others can advise you if your having an issue w/ your front end or back ends --- some people are really good at that. usually the fast guys are. make friends with them --- even if they run another car
Old 07-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Tech Addict

Is anyone from the TOP team going to paved nationals ?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Is anyone from the TOP team going to paved nationals ?
Good question... I know we will be representing at the Worlds!

Go boys!
Do work!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
Good question... I know we will be representing at the Worlds!

Go boys!
Do work!
Who will be driving TOP cars at Worlds?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

The guys in the D main

J/K.....

C'mon that was too easy!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by artwork
The guys in the D main

J/K.....

C'mon that was too easy!
You could have been much more cruel.

This car in the hands of top level driver would be in the A main.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

I had an interesting race night last night, thanks to a lot of rain recently, the track grip was woeful, but the EX was forgiving enough my pace was still ok, it was just harder to keep it on track without the odd off, think I trashed my body, says something about the durability of the car, as I broke nothing on it.

Did get a chance to build up a front diff on the night, it's good the diff kits are coming with the outside shims, and I sprayed the stock o-rings with wd40 and it did seem to make them swell just a little, so a good trick.
I used some Xceed 200k fluid, and swapped in the diff before the finals, back to back with no other changes, it removed any steering chatter, made the car a little easier to turn in, more forgiving to drive, lost no speed from previous heat with a spool.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

The Ackerman setting people are posting in there setups does not seem right, 1mm shim between rack and ball stud? This would angle the links back slightly which is not desired.

Has anyone tried 3mm of shims with the V2 alu blocks, slightly angles the links forward? It's dialed, gives you a ton of corner speed and the tires don't overheat. I run the same lap times from beginning to the end.
If your car is loose theirs other things to look at.

Roll center front and rear, springs, shock oil, etc. Have you posted your setup? if not, post it and we'll give you some suggestions.

I will say my car's current setup is not easy to drive for those that like to shoot into the corner, it will be loose. But if you drive it smooth it's very fast and easy to control. So some of it is driving style.

Tried all of those things and the only thing that worked was the ackerman change. It also comes down to the type of track. Basically my local track is a bitumen type paint on concrete... there is no grip because it is dirty and dusty and it is used for dog training during the week

I am now running a 0.5mm spacer between the rack and ball stud and the difference it made to the car was amazing. So much so that I was able to revert every other change back to kit set up and start again.

Biggest problem was how much the car was squirming under power (running boosted 10.5). To remove that I am running 1mm under the blocks at the rear, 1mm under the front front block and nothing under the front rear block to increase caster.

Now I have a car that is fairly settled and easy to drive.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Car was good today. I was pretty happy with my car.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

TOP-Racing Europe Driver Steven Weiss

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.