R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #631
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
Lower back strain from carrying his spare parts request??
Lower back strain from carrying a 5 gallon bucket to catch Hanulec's tears during practice?
Old 06-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #632
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

OD is good people..feel better Sr.

My Reedy Race setup didn't work at all today at Jackson RC with Solaris Hards. Reverting my camber link configs was necessary. The shock weights where too heavy and that made the curbs hard to handle. The car still was the fastest in 13.5 on the track hot lap wise with me vs Haynes and our cast if local fast guys. I'm going to try progressively decreasing oil weight before returning to 1.2 3hole and 50wt losi.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #633
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Wow, I got to see my boy Arvin's Photon EX this weekend........nice!!! If he is as fast with it as he is with the old car......might be a lot of sad xray drivers
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #634
Tech Elite

Had a good outing at the NW asphalt challenge yesterday. first time at the track a little bumpy and took a bit for the track to dry. so limited practice needed to get the car to work better thru the bumps, but no time to try anything, also think I could have played with gearing a bit more, but great car. Qual 3rd couple seconds off TQ, and finished 3rd,

Think the EX is a major player would have just liked to have some track time to try some stuff....

Thanks EJ and OD for the great ride...
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #635
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
Had a good outing at the NW asphalt challenge yesterday. first time at the track a little bumpy and took a bit for the track to dry. so limited practice needed to get the car to work better thru the bumps, but no time to try anything, also think I could have played with gearing a bit more, but great car. Qual 3rd couple seconds off TQ, and finished 3rd,

Think the EX is a major player would have just liked to have some track time to try some stuff....

Thanks EJ and OD for the great ride...
Hey mark
your Ex is looking good and I just wait to get mine on the track...congrat's winning third spot...
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #636
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

First time out with the EX and I was 6 tenths faster and more consistent.
I ran Larry's Horsham set up except standard chassis.
the car is good.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #637
Tech Champion

TOP Alloy Steering Block Ver.2
back in stock la !!
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. PHOTON EX-top-po-psu010rd-v2.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #638
Tech Addict

Okay, so I'll first apologize for 1K questions...I just got back into RC after about 7-8 years and I'm just now getting my EX ready...Haven't touched a TC since the TC4 was new.

So...

1.) Whats the common practice for lock-tight on fasteners going into the bulkheads? I just followed the manual when it called for lock-tight but would like to clarify if its a good/bad idea to apply also to bulkhead/arm blocks, etc.

2.) Based on Hanulec's Wiki, I got some 80t 64p spurs...It just seems SO small! I'll be running either 13.5 or 17.5 blinky on a really large asphalt track...(210' straight). whats a rough final drive? (HW V3 and Thunderpower 13.5) I know a lot of guys prefer 48p outdoors but I just spent a lot of cash on a full set of 64p pinions and i'm not spending any more for 48p. Should I consider any different size spur gears for such a large track?

3.) See the attached photo....The dimension circled in green makes no sense to me...is this to express droop?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Question 1.bmp (136.5 KB, 150 views)
S.Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #639
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Stew View Post
Okay, so I'll first apologize for 1K questions...I just got back into RC after about 7-8 years and I'm just now getting my EX ready...Haven't touched a TC since the TC4 was new.

So...

1.) Whats the common practice for lock-tight on fasteners going into the bulkheads? I just followed the manual when it called for lock-tight but would like to clarify if its a good/bad idea to apply also to bulkhead/arm blocks, etc.

2.) Based on Hanulec's Wiki, I got some 80t 64p spurs...It just seems SO small! I'll be running either 13.5 or 17.5 blinky on a really large asphalt track...(210' straight). whats a rough final drive? (HW V3 and Thunderpower 13.5) I know a lot of guys prefer 48p outdoors but I just spent a lot of cash on a full set of 64p pinions and i'm not spending any more for 48p. Should I consider any different size spur gears for such a large track?

3.) See the attached photo....The dimension circled in green makes no sense to me...is this to express droop?

Thanks!
Welcome back and I hope you enjoy the car. I think everyone has been pleased with the performance so far.

1. I didn't locktite the screws except where they went into the optional aluminum knuckles or rear hubs. After 3 race weekends, I have not had any screws come loose on the car. Make sure that you've got a good 2mm tip on your wrench or replace the screws when you build it and save yourself some trouble.

2. Blinky requires some tall gearing. The 80 will really look small when you start pairing it up against some of the pinions you'll have to use on that track. 17.5 Thunderpower with 38 degrees of timing should come in around 3.2 - 3.5 fdr but watch your temps closely and make sure you've got a fan on the motor.

3. Yes.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #640
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Stew View Post
I have seen people loctite just about every screw on electric TC's, but really it's best if you don't, about all you need do is say the stand offs for motor mount (alloy to alloy), or maybe any screw you won't be able to get to easily, and then only blue grade or light loctite in small amounts only.

Likewise, don't crank up your screws, lots of people do it, the temptation is to really torque them up tight cause you can, or cause they do tend to back off in use, but best is to go easy, and just make sure you check them every few runs or at least once a meeting.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #641
Tech Addict

Thanks guys!
S.Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #642
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Getting rid of slop

Hi guys

Just received my Photon EX, and noticed a lot of slop in the steering unit and arms. Causing me car to wander about on the straight.

I am using the kit servo horn and built the kit according to the manual.

Need expert advice to build a slop free car please.

Thanks
vadersing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #643
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Servo saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadersing View Post
Hi guys

Just received my Photon EX, and noticed a lot of slop in the steering unit and arms. Causing me car to wander about on the straight.

Thanks
Using the supplied horn will end up in a failure of the horn itself or your servo. I would run a medium Kimbrough servo saver.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #644
Tech Initiate

Hi all!.

This weekend I had many problems with my EX.
My car has set the "box setup" and in my Club Track the car performance is very good. This last weekend we had a race in other track where the grip is better than my club. First hour of the day, the car performance is amazing, very good grip and a very good steering. Half of the day, the hot and the track temperature is raising, the car has many problems: In fast corner it push (understeer) and you have to brake it; and in slow corner steering feels better but sometimes the car loose (oversteering) without reason.

I did many, many, many changes in the car setup, but nothing was succesfully
Could be the problem the front spool??, If I change it by a front diff. could be better?

BTW, I've seen these first releases of the car has many problems with rubber o-rings (in diffs. and shocks). For example, in the shocks springs adjusters the o-rings doesn't work and the adjusters can rotate himselfs!!.

Any solutions?.
Sorry for my english. It is not my native languaje.

BR.
Mario

Last edited by mario_vk; 06-18-2012 at 01:16 AM.
mario_vk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #645
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadersing View Post
Hi guys

Thanks
Those California boys have figured this out -- they just need to post up how they did it. I have a fist full of flanged bearings from them, but I haven't attempted to fix it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_vk View Post
Hi all!.

This weekend I had many problems with my EX.
My car has set the "box setup" and in my Club Track the car performance is very good. This last weekend we had a race in other track where the grip is better than my club. First hour of the day, the car performance is amazing, very good grip and a very good steering. Half of the day, the hot and the track temperature is raising, the car has many problems: In fast corner it push (understeer) and you have to brake it; and in slow corner steering feels better but sometimes the car loose (oversteering) without reason.

I did many, many, many changes in the car setup, but nothing was succesfully
Could be the problem the front spool??, If I change it by a front diff. could be better?

BTW, I've seen these first releases of the car has many problems with rubber o-rings (in diffs. and shocks). For example, in the shocks springs adjusters the o-rings doesn't work and the adjusters can rotate himselfs!!.

Any solutions?.
Sorry for my english. It is not my native languaje.

BR.
Mario
Stick w/ the spool.
Post your setup - including tire, tire prep, and track surface. We should be able to get you pointed in the right direction.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote