R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #451
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok, so a big rush to finish my car late Thursday night (I have been waiting on parts), I got to run mine tonight (Friday Night).
At the track I was still rushing to finish cutting out my body, set up the mounts, put it on the setup station etc, so by the time I was done, I only got to do a quick few test laps before I was out of time (I run race control so I'm a busy boy on race nights).

Those test laps were very promising though, followed by the first heat where I was almost stunned by how good the car is. I had the basic kit setup, with only some minor changes to suit the foams we run (camber changes, lower shock mounts inner most hole), and 450cst oil front, 350cst rear (our track is bumpy).
But the car made better traction than any setup I ever had on the original Photon, with steering everywhere, miles beyond what I could get on the old car, with it just 'feeling' better on track in most ways I can think of.

Something about the new EX seems to excel at being able to do things, without compromise or loss of other traits, it's a pleasure to drive, and many of the features are fantastic, motor mount, ability to take a nice size pinion with easy access, been some real good development there.

Unfortunately now though, I have to cover the bad, cause there is some real issues...
The kit seems to require an extraordinary amount of shimming out of the box, shocks are crazy when it's a carry on from the old model (I ended up with the option pistons in mine), but also suspension arms, and even axles, kind of a bummer.
Worst of all though, after building the shocks last night, I found what others found, being really loose collars on the shocks, but to take that one extreme further, two of mine were jumping threads all night, At first I noticed small changes to ride height, constantly readjusting, then by the second final my front left popped the whole way up!, dropping me out of the heat.

It's quite a issue, my shocks are basicly no good, and also cause the left ones keep slipping/jumping, got a fair bit more chassis wear/scrubbing on the left side of the nice new chassis, which I'm a little bummed about.

PS. EJ those Rebel body post mounts are the bomb dude, had to try a set after seeing them on your car, and reading they were height adjustable, my only concern is they seem quite tight, did/you drill yours out?, my only worry with them is they may split over time?, but hey I have several friends who want them now after seeing mine.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #452
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I've become a fan of extremely thin/flexible chassis on carpet, especially as grip comes up.
Who are you?

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #453
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Who are you?
The Icon of Failure.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #454
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Something to consider when building the car. I see people talking about shimming the arms on the hinge pins. I thought that I had the same issue with excess play in the arms. I loosened the hinge pin blocks and shifted them to remove the slop. Just like tightening the screws on the top deck in an alternating pattern, I suggest keeping these blocks just snug until you've mounted the arms and then adjust as needed and tighten completely.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #455
Tech Elite

I ran my car for the first time wed night. It wasn't bad with the initial setup i put on it, the rear just wanted to break loose. I made a few minor adjustments which made it better but i had to approach the corner a bit easier then what I'm used to. Seeing i just through a setup on the car I've got some work to do.

I will say one thing this car rotates like a mother around tight turns, lots of corner speed, just need to figure out how to drive with it now.

I was just as fast as my Photon so i guess that's a good thing. I think my top 5 - 20 averages where actually a little better with the EX.

Now it's time to spend hours at the track fine tuning the setup.

Added some bling this time around, not sure I'll do it again seeing it took 10 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. PHOTON EX-photon-exa.jpg   T.O.P. PHOTON EX-photon-exb.jpg  
5280raceway.com [Operated by - Colorado On-Road RC Club]
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 20-23rd 2017 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #456
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I was under the impression most people didn't sand/seal the top deck on TCs as it would change the flex characteristics?
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #457
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
I was under the impression most people didn't sand/seal the top deck on TCs as it would change the flex characteristics?
I don't know that it changes the flex characteristics, but it can cause tweak if the tips of the top deck are sealed and cause the top deck to fit tightly between the bulkheads.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #458
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

nearly got done rebuilding my shocks in preparation for tomorrow's asphalt testing. i cannot recommend the kyosho o-rings enough. my shocks continue to be super smooth ... something like we never got before after a bunch of packs with the 30 or 40 degree top o-rings.

i too see some 'loose' shock collars now -- but a little grime/dirt under the collars fixes that
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #459
Tech Champion

here is the setup i'm going to try and start with tomorrow - http://racerlog.com/w/images/b/ba/12...annedsetup.pdf
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #460
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
I've never heard this rumor before. I don't see how a little paint would change the flex characteristics, but I've been surprised by little things like this before. I did not super glue over the paint and i used Pectra paint which is very flexible after drying. We'll see how long it holds up.

It's looks good though, hey?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #461
Tech Elite

Mike, What's the benefit of toe-in on the front, I've never seen anyone do this?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #462
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
I will say one thing this car rotates like a mother around tight turns, lots of corner speed, just need to figure out how to drive with it now.

I was just as fast as my Photon so i guess that's a good thing. I think my top 5 - 20 averages where actually a little better with the EX.
Yeah, steering is crazy, it's one of the areas that had me stunned, and I was actually cutting some of my fastest ever laps last night, with a motor I know has faded recently, actually to be fair, I still have the alloy shafts all round on the new EX, where as I was running steels on the old car, and was also running rubber sealed bearings on the old car, not sure what they are good for in terms for speed.

I'm actually running same ESC as you...

www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #463
Tech Champion

Quote:
Mike, What's the benefit of toe-in on the front, I've never seen anyone do this?
I'm actually running it out. Is that - vs +? I don't know. Everything else on the sheet is dead on balls accurate.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #464
Tech Elite

Hey Mike O-ring part number please.... unless it's on your wiki page, hand't looked there yet...

Looks like I will see you at Reedy..
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #465
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
I've never heard this rumor before. I don't see how a little paint would change the flex characteristics, but I've been surprised by little things like this before. I did not super glue over the paint and i used Pectra paint which is very flexible after drying. We'll see how long it holds up.

It's looks good though, hey?
Oh... If you didn't seal it, then I can't imagine the flex/etc being effected.

And yeah, it does look killer
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote