R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   13,5 best Spec motor (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/580150-13-5-best-spec-motor.html)

Donau 12-22-2011 02:11 PM

13,5 best Spec motor

Hello.
Nowadays, it's hard to be quick in Spec class with timing on profesional race.
I want ask you which motor will be the best with LRP SXX v2 esc.
I already drive with Graupner Sport 13,5 "hard" motor, but he losses power after few races (2 or 3 competitions).
Can you tell me something about it?

Sorry if topic like this was before, but I use search option and I didn't find it...

Cheers

WildManDriving 12-22-2011 03:19 PM

With the LRP esc the LRP/Nosram motor is the best match in my opinion. I have been hearing the Reedy motors are as great of a match also.
For the motor to be losing power after a few race days are you sure you haven't gotten it to hot?

bucketboy 12-23-2011 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by WildManDriving (Post 10071446)
For the motor to be losing power after a few race days are you sure you haven't gotten it to hot?

Like what he said:confused: If you dont cook a motor, keep the bearings clean it should have no loss...............ever.
Bb

Donau 12-23-2011 02:58 AM

Motor was always under 90 Celcious degree. It's 194 F degree.
I heard that LRP/Nosram spec motors are fast getting hot. Is it true?
I will check bearings. What about sensors? Maybey that is a problem?
When I was on long straight with GM I didn't feel timing. I was riding with 9 program on SXX and 6,1 ratio.

Can you give me link for Graupner 13,5 sensors? I can't find it...

Thank you for help.

frozenpod 12-23-2011 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Donau (Post 10073266)
Motor was always under 90 Celcious degree. It's 194 F degree.
I heard that LRP/Nosram spec motors are fast getting hot. Is it true?

Thank you for help.

Try a new rotor, 90 deg C is very hot and certainly in the range of damage.

I aim to keep my novak and SP motor under 70 deg C. The LRP motors I haven't used but I have heard 80 deg C is a rough maximum.

Donau 12-23-2011 11:50 AM

I checked the bearing, and there are OK. It's not a problem. Maybey ratio?
Is it possible, that motor don't burned, but loose power because of too low ratio?

Cowarn 12-23-2011 03:05 PM

The motor doesn't have to be burned to have gone bad. At the temps you got your motor up to, you likely killed the magnets in the rotor. Throw a new rotor into your motor and you should be all set. Like others have suggested, try to keep the temp under 70 C.

WildManDriving 12-23-2011 04:55 PM

If you have a NEW motor of the same brand, or have access to one, turn the pinion shaft of both with your fingers and I'd say yours is easier to turn. Meaning your rotor has been damaged. Anything above 70'c is to HOT in most peoples opinion and I stay around 65'c. The LRP/Nosram motors are the only ones that will operate at 80'c for more than 3 race days, BUT still not forever.
When you get a new rotor, motor or get a LRP ask at this LINK for where to start.

CypressMidWest 12-24-2011 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by bucketboy (Post 10073149)
Like what he said:confused: If you dont cook a motor, keep the bearings clean it should have no loss...............ever.
Bb

Couldn't be more false.... All electronic devices (including wire) develop resistance after repeated use. While you are right that a few runs should show no noticeable loss in performance, a lot of runs will ALWAYS diminish the performance of ANY electrical component.

Donau 12-24-2011 06:18 AM

I bought a new GM and LRP motor. I will check everything while training next week. I didn't know that motor shouldn't get temp. above 80 degrees.
Is it really truth? Everybody in my country get motors in 90 - 100 deg. ... But maybey they change motor after 2 contest.
I have also one more question. I heard that GM "hard" motors don't like timing. Somebody tell me that I should give thet for ex. 6 program on SXX v2 and do the rest with ratio. Is it right?

Thank you for help

trerc 12-24-2011 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Donau (Post 10077001)
I bought a new GM and LRP motor. I will check everything while training next week. I didn't know that motor shouldn't get temp. above 80 degrees.
Is it really truth? Everybody in my country get motors in 90 - 100 deg. ... But maybey they change motor after 2 contest.
I have also one more question. I heard that GM "hard" motors don't like timing. Somebody tell me that I should give thet for ex. 6 program on SXX v2 and do the rest with ratio. Is it right?

Thank you for help

Wow, That is hot! Who's this everybody!?!

Seriously tho, 160 F (70 c) is about optimum for most motors, LRP motor can run a little warmer but 100 c is too hot for any brushless motor IMO.

bucketboy 12-24-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest (Post 10076569)
Couldn't be more false.... All electronic devices (including wire) develop resistance after repeated use. While you are right that a few runs should show no noticeable loss in performance, a lot of runs will ALWAYS diminish the performance of ANY electrical component.

Really:confused:

http://www.centennialbulb.org/ ;)

Bb

wingracer 12-24-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest (Post 10076569)

Got any sources on that? I have textbooks here that make no mention of wire getting less conductive just from use. Some semi-conductors yes but not wire. There is lots of wire centuries old in the world that still works perfectly.

dennisV 12-24-2011 11:16 AM

LRP (X12) get a little bot hotter than other motors. But you should keep in mind that the engine should never exceed 80 degrees celcius for a long time.

My X12 (Stock Spec) runs around 60 ~ 65 celcius on a boosted setup. I don't run longer heats than 7 minutes, so for me temperature is quite good. :nod:

Buckaroo 12-24-2011 01:56 PM

Temp wise, the X12 is a totally different animal from most every other motor out there.

From the X12 instruction sheet included with the motor.(This is in the section in the middle of the page on the right hand side: GEARING)

"Motor temperature should never exceed 100*C (=210*F)"

I find that when people complain that the x12 is 'slow' compared to other motors, it's because they're gearing for the temp of 'other' motors(160-180 max).

The X12 usually runs best about 160-180*F, and is about the only motor that can run at max temp and do just fine (I've seen quite a few hit 200*F and not melt down and have no long term bad consequences). Most other motors that hit 'max temp' usually are toast.

Motor fade on the X12 due to heat soak only comes in above 190, where most other motors with a 160-180 max heat soak fade about 140.