Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why doesn't WGT get a world championships and why isn't there a mod class yet? >

Why doesn't WGT get a world championships and why isn't there a mod class yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why doesn't WGT get a world championships and why isn't there a mod class yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They said they were going to do that last year at the snowbirds.That still leaves all the rest of the companies still making them.Oh Associated did say something else but can't say.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

So if pro10 stock class was still popular back then why did that die off as well?

Looking at some older pro10 movies i am not sure if they were really too fast. Maybe people remember them being faster then they really were back then?

I have seen some old pro10 moviesand too say that they were too fast is a little overdone imo. We now have faster laptimes with our stock 10.5t pro10 then they did back in the day with 8t-10t brushed. So just curious, was it really too fast..... seriously?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jiSF7U4zgs

If they were too fast why didn't the masses drive a 19t or slower brushed with it? It would be fast enough for a normal class?

I hope one day there will be a World Chamionship pro10 again but seeing how the market is now dominated by touringcars (marketing wise) i don't think that will happen soon. I think that is the real reason as all the companies were concentrating on touringcars and thus the sponsord guys were driving the touringcars and noone entering a world championship pro10.

If you really want to have a pro10 class then start driving one at the track and try to get some people to build up a class.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LMRacing
Associated recently discontinued the 10R5 WGT car. I as a dealer cant get my hands on one anymore, They are selling the remaining inventory themselves. I dont know if they plan to quit making a WGT car all togeather due to the lack of popularity of the class or if they are working on a new car
That's the reason Tamiya (the king of discontinued) brought back the F103. The people know what they want not the companies. I do not run WGT But would do so if there was a turnout in this area.Narrow pancars I have, people to race with I don't. Why not make it more of a Le'mans class. The bodys are way better looking and you can run the lights,and stick with one motor and tire set. I think it would identify with spectators and new people more. How many people in the US have actually seen a USGT race?If I had the spare bucks for a new one it would be the Corally.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BullFrog
They said they were going to do that last year at the snowbirds.That still leaves all the rest of the companies still making them.Oh Associated did say something else but can't say.
So are you saying it's not a good decision to get the current AE WGT car direct?
Old 12-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Infinite 12th
This WGT seems to be a great class but why has it been stuck to just 10.5/13.5?
Because when the members here on R/C Tech came up with the class in this thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...t10-class.html they concentrated on slower motors with scale looking GT bodies so it was like a pan car version of VTA, rather than a serious race class with everyone using the most aerodynamic Protoform shell.
4 cell 13.5 was settled on because Scotty Ernst chose that for the first big meeting for WorldGT, the 2008 IIC, and the rules evolved from there.

The whole point of the class is using a spec tyre, and therefore using a 10.5 keeps within the limits of the spec tyres which keeps the running costs down. Anyone can race mod in WorldGT if they can get their club to run it, your problem is getting enough fellow racers to join you as there just isn't the interest in running faster. If you want to run mod then you are looking at softer tyres and better bodies to go with the extra power, so you are just running Pro10 cars again which died out because they were going too fast. You might as well just run 1/12th.

Here in the UK we even have mod class rules for WorldGT, but no one is interested in running mod, everyone is running 1S 10.5 or 2S 17.5.

Will it ever go mod and get a worlds championships?
It will only get a world championship when it gets big enough worldwide, considering it's only relatively popular in the US you can't really have a world championships with just north american drivers. It's the same as asking why there isn't a drift world championships considering how big it is in Japan.

It took 9 years from the first narrow touring cars until we had an official world championships, and touring cars were much bigger back then than it is today before it was considered big enough. If you can get WorldGT as popular as touring cars worldwide then I guess you will get a world championship.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Because when the members here on R/C Tech came up with the class in this thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...t10-class.html they concentrated on slower motors with scale looking GT bodies so it was like a pan car version of VTA, rather than a serious race class with everyone using the most aerodynamic Protoform shell.
4 cell 13.5 was settled on because Scotty Ernst chose that for the first big meeting for WorldGT, the 2008 IIC, and the rules evolved from there.

The whole point of the class is using a spec tyre, and therefore using a 10.5 keeps within the limits of the spec tyres which keeps the running costs down. Anyone can race mod in WorldGT if they can get their club to run it, your problem is getting enough fellow racers to join you as there just isn't the interest in running faster. If you want to run mod then you are looking at softer tyres and better bodies to go with the extra power, so you are just running Pro10 cars again which died out because they were going too fast. You might as well just run 1/12th.

Here in the UK we even have mod class rules for WorldGT, but no one is interested in running mod, everyone is running 1S 10.5 or 2S 17.5.

It will only get a world championship when it gets big enough worldwide, considering it's only relatively popular in the US you can't really have a world championships with just north american drivers. It's the same as asking why there isn't a drift world championships considering how big it is in Japan.

It took 9 years from the first narrow touring cars until we had an official world championships, and touring cars were much bigger back then than it is today before it was considered big enough. If you can get WorldGT as popular as touring cars worldwide then I guess you will get a world championship.
Seems like such a classy class it deserve's a WC'ip. Right now we got around 20 12th'rs and most 2/3 are 17.5 but pancar is so fun and the WGT actually handle pretty good. I guess 10.5 R is way fast but apparently no mod no WC
Old 12-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Did not say that about getting an associated. You did. I stand by my statemat a TCent about track speeds. When you have a national event and only 3 drivers sign up for Mod that should tell you shomething. Besides your in Europe racing 2 cells and the old wide cars and older GTP bodies. We racing narrow pan cars ,a GT body and single cell. That's not appples to apples as we say over hear.
If your interested in a Corally WGT - I probably have one for sale. F1 has died again here in Fla and I also have a F103 for sale.
WGT is growning- it's way easier to work on than any TC.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Last year our WGT class was growing using 13.5 boosted. This year it's fallen off and one of the reasons was 13.5 was too fast for the new entries. It is the fastest class at our track and faster than our 17.5 boosted 1/12 scale.

Our point series begins this Sunday so we'll see what our turnout will be, probably just one heat of 8 cars.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
So if pro10 stock class was still popular back then why did that die off as well?

Looking at some older pro10 movies i am not sure if they were really too fast. Maybe people remember them being faster then they really were back then?

If they were too fast why didn't the masses drive a 19t or slower brushed with it? It would be fast enough for a normal class?
Back then we were all running mod in Pro 10, here in the UK we were running them outdoors and the tyres needed to grip meant they didn't last long, or you used something a little firmer and struggled for grip. Remember this was 10-15 years ago and cars, tyres and additives have all developed a lot since then.
As for why no one ran slower motors, just ask any average driver today why they don't run a slower motor as it would be easier to drive, everyone still wants to go as fast as everyone else.

I hope one day there will be a World Championship pro10 again but seeing how the market is now dominated by touringcars (marketing wise) i don't think that will happen soon. I think that is the real reason as all the companies were concentrating on touringcars and thus the sponsord guys were driving the touringcars and noone entering a world championship pro10.
Yes, what finally killed the class was was no one making the chassis any more, but they stopped making them due to lack of sales. Pro 10 has always been running in Netherlands and Germany because Corally kept the C10 in production.

Here in the UK touring cars started as a support class for the Pro 10s, then drivers gradually moved to tourers as they were easier to drive and much cheaper to run. When it leaves only the sponsored drivers running Pro 10 it's no longer viable. The big companies might have been concentrating on touring cars, but Pro 10 were just bigger 1/12ths sharing many parts and most were manufactured by companies that had no interest in making tourers.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by LMRacing
Associated recently discontinued the 10R5 WGT car. I as a dealer cant get my hands on one anymore, They are selling the remaining inventory themselves. I dont know if they plan to quit making a WGT car all togeather due to the lack of popularity of the class or if they are working on a new car
They have discontinued the car and have no plans to make another right now. For a big company it's an obvious decision when they can spend production time making something more profitable for them.
Just think about it from their point of view, the big sales are at the start of the class, now sales have quietened off most people who want a WorldGT car have bought one or can just pick up a second hand one.
For a manufacturer a WorldGT has several disadvantages over other classes. The slower motors means they don't break easily, and there's not much to wear out so no continuing profits from selling spares, those spares that are bought are usually the parts shared with 1/12th.

Watching what Associated are doing isn't going to tell you what's happening with other companies, it's purely a business decision by Associated, or most probably Thunder Tiger. Corally, Xray, Serpent, BMI, CRC are all still making WorldGT chassis so they all think the class is still going strong.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If there were mod, it would be something like LMP in the 1:1 racing world. The biggest, baddest and fastest 1/10 scale RC class is already Pro10 235mm. WGT implies a different specification, GT 200mm. As stated by some of our Pro10 friends, they are alive and well in Europe. Those cars are 235mm wide, but from what I can see from their rules, they allow the 200s to run with them. This is not an indoor, small track carpet car either. WGT meets the needs of most indoor racers wanting to run 10 scale pan on relatively small carpet tracks.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
If there were mod, it would be something like LMP in the 1:1 racing world. The biggest, baddest and fastest 1/10 scale RC class is already Pro10 235mm. WGT implies a different specification, GT 200mm. As stated by some of our Pro10 friends, they are alive and well in Europe. Those cars are 235mm wide, but from what I can see from their rules, they allow the 200s to run with them. This is not an indoor, small track carpet car either. WGT meets the needs of most indoor racers wanting to run 10 scale pan on relatively small carpet tracks.
Well put, my friend.....
Old 12-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by liljohn1064

There is no modified touringclass over here as it is pretty dead but still there is a world Championship Touringcar where they race with 3.0t boosted setups that are way faster then pro10 ever was in the brushed era. Clearly you can have a championship without having to have a modified class at your club?

It is not 1s vs 2s lipo or WGT vs pro10 or anything in between debate but more about why there isn't a worldchampionship for pancars. At least that is what the TS wanted to know i think.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc

I just want to thank you for being a person who posts information on RC Tech. It's great when people have the answers to the questions asked.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2wdrive

Looking at some older pro10 movies i am not sure if they were really too fast....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jiSF7U4zgs
You are comparing an outdoor race on a big track from 94 to racing on a large (by US standards) 100 x 50 carpet track with hard barriers in 99/2000?

I was at the Nats at Minnreg the last year they ran pro10 and the cars were crazy. Not only were the cars too fast for the size of the track they were dangerous to have to marshal. No matter how big the gap you couldn't get on and off the track safely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.