R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   HPI DASH motor swap, possible? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/57648-hpi-dash-motor-swap-possible.html)

NitroNoob 12-16-2004 01:04 PM

HPI DASH motor swap, possible?

Not knowing all that much about the electric cars, I was wondering if anyone knows or if anyone has tried to replace the motor in the HPI Dash. I know the HPI site says that the car is not an upgradable car, but I have to wonder if it is at all possible. The car is currently running a 380 electric motor.

I have a few questions before I start though:

1. Whats a decent (non-expensive) electric motor that I could use to give this modifiaction a shot?

2. Whats the difference in the number of turns a motor makes?

3. Do I want a higher number like a 27-T, or a lower number like a 10-T or 12-T?

4. Which motor uses more juice a high turn motor or a low turn motor?

5. Whats the difference between a brushless motor and a regular motor? (besides one uses brushes and one doesnt, pros and cons.)

I will be running one 3300mAh 7.2v battery as this is all that I can fit in the car.

DT-Skyline 12-16-2004 01:56 PM

Re: HPI DASH motor swap, possible?

Originally posted by NitroNoob
Not knowing all that much about the electric cars, I was wondering if anyone knows or if anyone has tried to replace the motor in the HPI Dash. I know the HPI site says that the car is not an upgradable car, but I have to wonder if it is at all possible. The car is currently running a 380 electric motor.

I have a few questions before I start though:

1. Whats a decent (non-expensive) electric motor that I could use to give this modifiaction a shot?

2. Whats the difference in the number of turns a motor makes?

3. Do I want a higher number like a 27-T, or a lower number like a 10-T or 12-T?

4. Which motor uses more juice a high turn motor or a low turn motor?

5. Whats the difference between a brushless motor and a regular motor? (besides one uses brushes and one doesnt, pros and cons.)

I will be running one 3300mAh 7.2v battery as this is all that I can fit in the car.

Some answers to your questions in numeric order:lol: :

1) A Team Trinity Monster Stock motor
2) The higher the turn, the slower it is. The lower the turn, the faster it is. The fastest motor right now for an electric car is the Team Orion 6 turn double wound
3)If your trying to pull this off, 1st try using a 27 Turn, or more commonly know as a stock motor.
4) Of course, the higher the motor, the faster it will be, and the faster the battery will be consumed.
5) The differcne between them is that the brushless motor has to come with proper esc. Other esc;s can't handle the power output, therefore blowing it up. It's also expensive, but very fast and high in torque, so it's a really good motor for a modified class. A motor that has brushes is cheaper, and more realiable to use. Plus, there's more of a choice in them. Not many people use brushless motor systems unless they have the money for it. If u were thinkinh of putting the brushless motor into your car, don't. The HPI dash is rear wheel drive, so its most likly to spin out alot.

Jack Smash 12-16-2004 02:01 PM

The 380 is a much smaller motor physically so changing to a different motor might require you to either buy or fabricate a different motor mount. I dont know of a direct replcement for a 380 sized motor.

NitroNoob 12-16-2004 02:19 PM

Thanks for the answers guys. I appreciate it. I am already watching one of those Trinity Monster motors on eBay, lol.

sosidge 12-16-2004 02:21 PM

Take heed of what Jack Smash just said - the Dash motor is a smaller size than most RC motors (380 vs 540) - you'll need to do some hand-crafting to get the Trinity motor to fit - and if you do get it to fit, it stands every chance of blowing the standard electronics.

kufman 12-16-2004 07:50 PM

I belive any speed 400 size motor is the same size as a mabuchi 380 motor.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/speed400.htm

You would have to compare the dimensions to what is already in your Dash. The hardest part might be getting the pinion gear off of the original motor. It might be a brass gear that was pressed on when it was really hot. Then as it cooled it shrunk onto the motor shaft. I dont know for sure, but that is how many of the lower end cars from Tyco, Nicko, and other toy companies put a gear on.