R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #61
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurneyflap View Post
I made mine based on a F104 V2 chassis with Tamiya P34 front suspension modified to make it stiffer, more adjustable and have the servo at the right place. On track, with foam tyres, I found it better than the 4 wheels F104. I raced it just one time with the MOROTECH body, except a problem with the front spoiler which was going off every time I touched the wall, it was fine. But on rubber it was a nightmare.
A little late to the party (hey it's still technically 2014!), but I picked up a relatively cheap brand new F103 Tyrrell P34 on Craigslist. I was considering building it and end up hopping up the old F103 chassis, or use one of my already hopped up F104s, an X1 and a V2 black edition. I decided on the the X1 cause I liked the setup on my V2 better.

I was experimenting with various ways of mounting the servo, double sided tape wasn't inspiring confidence, especially steering 4 wheels. I had exactly your setup in mind and mocked it up, except I've got the servo snout facing the back of the car (like on a stock F103, but backwards) and it lets me use the short carbon piece that bridges the two servo mounts.

Wanted to upgrade to the aluminum servo mounts like yours because they're essentially sandwiching the chassis plates together. Or I'll wait til the stock plastic ones strip out.

Also playing with different length ball studs that connect the knuckles on either side. Maybe give the front pair slightly more ackerman than the second pair.

Happen to have two pairs of carbon reinforced steering knuckles that came stock with the F104s. And that's my project for tomorrow.....Happy New Years!
viking44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #62
Tech Apprentice

Yep, no way to keep the double sided tape servo, especially for racing, I kept the F104 servo position and cut the front suspension arms, it worked well :
Attached Thumbnails
6 Wheel Custom F1 Pan Car...-photo.jpg  
Gurneyflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #63
Tech Apprentice

FYI those futuristic 6-wheeled F1s are still available. I just happen to have started building one up using an old F103 as a base. You can still order the modified chassis plate, the beautifully made body and some F103 parts direct from banzaihobby in Japan.

Just waiting for some more parts to arrive, and I'll start painting the body.
Attached Thumbnails
6 Wheel Custom F1 Pan Car...-59642617_dsc_0070.jpg  
F103 Chevronmodels 6-wheel conversion
sporadicidiocy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:08 AM   #64
Tech Apprentice

I'd love to see a 6 wheels F1 but with 4 rear wheels like the Williams FW07D and FW08. It would also give much more rear grip which is the weakness of our F1 1/10.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #65
Tech Apprentice

Yea, those look cool and I'd love to see an RC interpretation of it.

Though if you want it to be 4WD in the rear like the real car... you'll probably have to look into independent suspension and that means more complexity and weight.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #66
Tech Apprentice

Here's my progress so far. I had thought adding the small carbon carbon fiber "bridge" between the two servo mounts would limit the steering too much, but you can see in the 2nd pic with the steering at full lock so I think its plenty.

Next, I'll probably cut out the body to see my options for mounting the rest of the electronics. These side pods are lower than most modern F1 bodies so I might have to squeeze them down the middle.

viking44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #67
Tech Rookie

Tyrrell worked with the Six-Wheeler for one race and then the FIA immediately stepped in and said all cars must have four and only four wheels. Further, I cannot remember if it was before then or after the Six-Wheel car some other manufacturer was working on a "Suction" car where the car was somehow powered to be sucked down-wards. It worked very well, of course there were kinks to the new system however the car would often spit out little track debris like small rocks and rubber-pebbles at great velocity to the point where it was dangerous towards anyone watching slash working the event. Again the FIA stepped in and said No-No. All the stuff was generally in the 70's when the FIA finally took a more Sane approach to racing and actually started to care about it's driver's and fan's. It took a very long time, some say way too long, for F1 to become serious about Racing Safety. All the FIA, and others - cough cough Bernie, cared about for too long were Profits. To Hell With driver safety, what do you need Kitty Litter and Drive-Off Zones for, that crap will cost the track owner's millions of dollars! It was silly sometimes from the FIA's point of view back Fourty and more years ago.
Cafe con Leche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #68
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to mschumi101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe con Leche View Post
Tyrrell worked with the Six-Wheeler for one race and then the FIA immediately stepped in and said all cars must have four and only four wheels. Further, I cannot remember if it was before then or after the Six-Wheel car some other manufacturer was working on a "Suction" car where the car was somehow powered to be sucked down-wards. It worked very well, of course there were kinks to the new system however the car would often spit out little track debris like small rocks and rubber-pebbles at great velocity to the point where it was dangerous towards anyone watching slash working the event. Again the FIA stepped in and said No-No. All the stuff was generally in the 70's when the FIA finally took a more Sane approach to racing and actually started to care about it's driver's and fan's. It took a very long time, some say way too long, for F1 to become serious about Racing Safety. All the FIA, and others - cough cough Bernie, cared about for too long were Profits. To Hell With driver safety, what do you need Kitty Litter and Drive-Off Zones for, that crap will cost the track owner's millions of dollars! It was silly sometimes from the FIA's point of view back Fourty and more years ago.
The Tyrrell actually raced 2 full seasons in '77 and '78, including one win. The project was scrapped due to the small front tires not being developed by the tire manufacturers. It was also very heavy having two sets of suspension in the front and the team put resources elsewhere. Brabham released their fan car in '78 which had a skirt very close to the ground, and a massive fan to suck air out from under the car to create downforce. It won one race before being banned (The drivers were also sandbagging). Mario Andretti among other drivers complained that the fan threw out debris into trailing cars, only helping the argument against it. Williams and March also began developing 6 wheeled F1 cars, but with 4 rear wheels in tandem. The thought behind these cars was to use 4 smaller (front sized) wheels at the rear to reduce drag and elongate the ground effects below the car for increased downforce. These cars were never raced, only tested in '81-'82. The Williams was thought to be extremely fast and successful in testing, but thought the car was too heavy for race weight. Also speculation emerged throughout the year And the FIA instituted the rule capping the number of wheels at 4 in '83. Williams didn't end up needing the 6 wheeler in '82, when it would have been legal, as Keke Rosberg still went on to win the Championship.

Very interesting RC interpretations guys!
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #69
Tech Apprentice

That Williams FW08 and the March in details, seen at Goodwood in 2012 :

http://www.gurneyflap.com/GURNEY2/12fos.html
Old 01-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #70
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurneyflap View Post
That Williams FW08 and the March in details, seen at Goodwood in 2012 :

http://www.gurneyflap.com/GURNEY2/12fos.html
Cool, I haven't seen pics of those cars since the 80's. IIRC they had smaller than normal rear tires (possibly even front tires) in the back to reduce drag.

Last edited by Manny; 01-06-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #71
Tech Apprentice

rear and front tyres are the same, and not of a specific size.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #72
Tech Apprentice

Just saw this from another thread here.

http://www.saxoracing.com/productshow.asp?lx=tp&id=1256

The chassis looks like an updated version of the chevronmodels conversion kit with a modern link based rear pod.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #73
Tech Apprentice

Default MOROTECH P34

Anyone know where to get one of the MOROTECH P34 bodies?
kineteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:04 PM   #74
Tech Regular

Default Morotech website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineteks View Post
Anyone know where to get one of the MOROTECH P34 bodies?
http://www.morotech.jp This probably doesn't help much unless you read Japanese. If you click on the Project 43 icon you can see pics of several prototype six wheelers...

I finally got my box stock Tamiya P34 ready to run...
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #75
Tech Apprentice

I got in touch with them and will be getting 4 bodies @ about $32 each
I have a TOP 6-wheel Rebel I'm putting together as well as a Tamiya P34 Japan box stock kit...
The Morotech P43? kit is about $340 and requires a donor F103, The Rebel F1 & 6-Wheeler conversion is about $460, so they're pretty close.
kineteks is offline   Reply With Quote