R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Charger Help.... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/57473-charger-help.html)

RCNitroDude999 12-14-2004 08:25 AM

Charger Help....

A couple things I need help with here.....Im about to start racing 12th scale, which is my first electric. I have a Duratrax Deluxe Pluse charger, which has worked great on my nitro car receiver batteries, but I dont know how good it is for charging top of the line 3300 packs and what not. What charger would yall recommend that has a digital display, charge, discharge, and cycle functions, but doesnt cost a load of $$$.....?

razzo 12-14-2004 08:29 AM

How about Reedy Pulsar2 pro? assuming you have a DC power supply? Discharges only at 10amps, but if you run till your pack dumps, shouldn't be too much of an issue.

koabich 12-14-2004 09:52 AM

The 2 that I would look at are the LRP Pro 2 and the newest version of the Competition Electronics Pit Bill.

OnRoad-Racer 12-14-2004 11:49 AM

I run the Pulsar2 competition and couldn't be happier. It needs a 12 volt power source so I chose to get the Duracom power supply. A bit pricey but well worth the money spent.

What battery packs are you planning to use?. I use the Fusion 1.18 4 cell saddlepacks. I couldn't be happier with them. Great power, doesn't dump early in the 8 min heats/mains. I still have lots of pull by minute #6.

If you're concerned about the discharge rate, just run car till it dumps on you or get a dishcarge bulbset or get a smart tray. You don't have to "baby sit" the smart tray and it can be set to where it will cut off from .9 and lower. All the redlights go off, and you're set.

If you are planning to race it a bit competative, I would suggest running at least 3 dedicated heat packs and have at least 2 practice packs. That way while you're in the pits, you can concentrate on resoldering your new packs in and make other adjustments and before youknow it your packs are discharged and ready to charge, after cooling of course.

JDXray 12-14-2004 12:16 PM

I'll second or third for the LRP Pulsar Competition 2. It has everything you need, charging,discharging,motorun, 3 profiles, settings, matching. Its probably the best bang for your buck.

Cole Trickle 12-14-2004 01:47 PM

Re: Charger Help....

Originally posted by RCNitroDude999
A couple things I need help with here.....Im about to start racing 12th scale, which is my first electric. I have a Duratrax Deluxe Pluse charger, which has worked great on my nitro car receiver batteries, but I dont know how good it is for charging top of the line 3300 packs and what not. What charger would yall recommend that has a digital display, charge, discharge, and cycle functions, but doesnt cost a load of $$$.....?
Actually your charger is reasonably. Biggest problem is, that you cant disable the trickle charge, which is bad for NiMh. But if you remember to disconnect the charger, when it's finished.... Personally, I forget such things, but it's an option.

Another thing to consider, is that the cells might not be warm enough, meaning less punch. But that highly depend on ambient temperature AND your own temper.