Multiplex transmitter >

Multiplex transmitter

Multiplex transmitter

Old 12-14-2004, 06:58 AM
mxs
Tech Adept

Default Multiplex transmitter

Hi all,

anybody has any experience with this transmitter? I mean their Profi car line.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/Radios/Proficar403.htm

If so could you post pros and cons and where you can get them? Also how do they compare to the competitors?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2004, 07:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)
Default Multiplex Profi Car Radios

I own 4 Multiplex Profi Car transmitters (two 403 and two 301) and I have only praise for their features, ease of use and ergonomics. I have tried several other brands, but I keep coming back to my Multiplex radios.

There are so many nice features that listing them all here would take too long. Some key items are the ability to transmit in both AM and FM modes all from the same Tx crystal, very light weight as the Tx uses a 6-cell battery, you can use a small peak charger to keep the Tx battery always topped off, very easy and logical programming through the icon based touch buttons on the top of the Tx, the LCD screen is slanted to make it very easy to read the display, the unique colour makes it easy to pick your radio out in the crowd, the glitch free operation, 60 Hz pulse frequency for 50% faster reaction than other car radios, 3 channel operation for all models and of course the multiple model memory.

The 301 and 403 models are perfect while the 707 model is overkill as it has some features that I'd most likely never use. The 7 channel operation on the 707 model is awesome.

The downside to all of this is that you must use only Multiplex transmitter crystals and now that Hitec own Multiplex getting single Tx crystals has become a challenge. I was able to purchase singles at one point but this changed. Another detriment is that these radios are not common and should it be needed, service might be a problem. Hitec are usually very good with customer service so this may not be an issue.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:38 AM
mxs
Tech Adept

Hi SteveM,

thanks for the quick post. Interestingly I am from Canada too. I live close to Toronto.

Anyways, so what's the best place to get them and how much do they run for? I agree that 707 would be too much overkill for me. I am not planning use it for anything else than my touring nitro and electric. What's the size of the receivers and the major difference between 403 and 301?

What are the chances a getting a used one? Probably slim given the amount of rarity in them.

Thanks for your post again.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I used to own a ProfiCar 707 myself. The radio is definitely comfortable and easy to use.

One thing I did different with my radio is that I had it converted to Futaba. At the time, Multiplex offered to send the radio to a place in Texas, at least thats what I remember, and they converted the module to run Futaba 75Mhz PPM. It was nice cuz then I could use any Futaba receiver along with Futaba crystals. I think the conversion cost was in the $75 range and shipping was separate. The radio came by itself in the package.

There were a couple things I didn't like about it though. I ran oval a lot at the time. I always wanted to reassign a button to allow 100% dual rate. From everything I checked on the radio, you couldn't reassign buttons to do other functions. The other was that the 6 cell pack didn't last that long. The pack the radio came with lasted about 30 minutes of actual run time before it was completely dead. That's not good when you try to run Nitro Touring 30 minute mains. I had to build my own pack for the radio.

Other than that, it was a great radio. I ended up going back to Futaba when the 3PJ Super came out.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What's the difference in the 303, 403, 707?
Old 12-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by mxs
Hi SteveM,

Anyways, so what's the best place to get them and how much do they run for? I agree that 707 would be too much overkill for me. I am not planning use it for anything else than my touring nitro and electric. What's the size of the receivers and the major difference between 403 and 301?

What are the chances a getting a used one? Probably slim given the amount of rarity in them.

Thanks for your post again.
There is no best place to buy these transmitters and all of mine came from swap shop forums or from eBay. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any other place to get these wonderful radios. SOme hobby shops might be willing to order you one, but be preparred for the high price.

All but one of my four radios was sold as a transmitter only. This was how they were initially sold by Multiplex as they were fairly expensive. They did come with the Tx NiCad and a small charge cord (for use with your peak charger), but no wall charger, no receiver and no servos. That was not an issue for me as I had virtually everything else.

In AM mode the Tx is compatible with ALL receivers. You only need to be sure to use the crystal designed for your receiver...ie: Futaba AM receiver with a Futaba AM crystal. The Tx must use only the Multiplex crystal.

In FM mode the Tx is compatible with Airtronics, JR, KO and Multiplex receivers. You cannot use Futaba or Hitec FM receivers as they use a different shift. Hitec may still offer the conversion that was mentioned in another post, but I see no need to bother. I use one of several receivers including a Novak Mercury, Novak XXL, Novak Xxtra, Tekin 3CH chrome, Hitec HFS-03MM universal, Airtronics 2CH or 3CH FM receiver and of course a Multiplex receiver that came with one of my sets. All work perfectly and I use only Airtronics single conversion FM crystals. The Novak Xxtra is synthasized so no crystals are needed at all. The newer JR and Airtronics synthasized receivers should also perform perfectly.

Keep your eye on eBay and search on 'Multiplex'. That may be your only chance of getting one.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by mafiaracers
What's the difference in the 303, 403, 707?
They are all identical physically but differ in features and model memory. Go to www.multiplexusa.com and check out the specs.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:06 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I have botht he 403 and 707 models. Great radios and now that Hitec has the ones with the Synthsized module they would be a even better radio. Has all the features you need in a top of the line race radio and then some. Also the lightest radio on the market by far. It is like holding a feather when compared to all other brands out their.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Strangely mine seems to work with both pos and negative shift...don't know how or why.it just does...

one major feature that the 707 has over the 303 or the 403 is model memory....12 models vs 3 and 6 I believe...

You may also want to keep an eye open as the synthesised versions of the radios are now available....and Steve...jsut so you know..you can now get individual crystals again...I got a Ch. 76 transmitter crystal just last month from Hitec...

Greathobbies has had them on their website for some time (sine Horizon listed them), but I don't know what their stock situation is...

I found the menu layout more intuitive on my JR R1 but I likethe feel and the response of the Multiplex MUCH more.

The only drawback I can see with the multiplex radios is that there doesn't appear to be any plans for the new Spektrum 2.4GHz module to be produced to fit these radios....

When that technology lands...I think I know where you'll be able to find a good deal on a 707....I'll be making the switch
Old 12-14-2004, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

And as for battery life...they are now bundled with 110mAh batteries instead of the old 600's if I'm not mistaken...they may have updated them even further still
Old 12-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Great news on the crystal availability! I will have to check Great Hobbies to see what they may have in stock.

Multiplex also offer a synthasized Tx module along with a synthasized receiver, but finding details is difficult. So far I understand that it will be available only on the 75mHz band. These radios are not offered on 27mHz.

All of my transmitters included 600mAh NiCads, but I was able to buy a 1000mAh battery from a shop in the US. It was so darned expensive that buying another one was not worthwhile.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Last month when I takled with Hitec the Tx synth module was not showing as a standalone part number. The complete radios however were.

The Tx Synth module will require your older style radio to be sent in for a software upgrade though, as the frequency is changed via software as opposed to a switch like the M8 synth modules.

When buying a new Multiplex, look for a radio that is badged as Ver 2.0
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow, glad this thread got started. I'm a 403 user myself. I've kind of lost track of the synthesized module plans......is this thing really available?? And is it a synth module and receiver or just a synth module for the radio. The Hitec site say's nothing as far as I know. Where are you folks getting your info. Thanks
BTW, when last I talked with the Multiplex rep at hitec, you could buy the radios directly from them.