Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why Traxxas ? Just Why? >

Why Traxxas ? Just Why?

Why Traxxas ? Just Why?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ferenczy36
Ditto. Already have my money set aside for the EXO. This thing is a bust though. Yes, you don't have to run it at 100mph, been then if that is the case, why spend all that extra $$$ on something if you can't utlilize it to its full potential. I'll admit it's cool and innovative, just not practical at all. I too see lawsuits coming with these things. The only place people will be able to run these is in public parking lots where one wrong move at those speeds could cause some serious carnage. Plus, IDK about anyone else but doing speed runs and passes with an RC car gets boring pretty quick for me.
I agree completely! i am a huge fan of "turns".
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A lot more bashers than there are racers and most bashers want to go fast in a straight line.

IMO if the sale price is right they are going to sell heaps just like the slash.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

I've driven a Super Nitro at 86 mph and let me tell you, that's damn fast and it didn't have the instant torque that this thing has. 100 with this is going to be overwhelming for most.

You need big places to run it but a big industrial area on the weekend would work. So would a big mall parking lot in June.

I tried the undertray ground effects back in the 90s but didn't have much luck because, well, I'm not Traxxas with a ton of money to spend on R&D and Developement. Realisticly though cars weren't fast enough then to benefit from it as much as this car is.

I have a ton of questions. At 80 mph I had problems keeping the tires glued to the rim of the Super Nitro and they would still balloon so bad they'd rub on the body enough to make the plastic start to liquify. I'm guessing foam tires with rubber "caps" like the old pan cars ran. I also would love to know how accurate the gauges are on the display.

All that said, I'm in. I would love to have one. I see this going to the drag strip too. I can just see people making yet more powerful motors. This thing is going to be nuts.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Should be fun at a big nitro on road track..

and there will be some impressive you-tube videos.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

.....cant wait to see a you tube video of this smacking a curb head on at 100MPH.......
Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Robotech
I have a ton of questions. At 80 mph I had problems keeping the tires glued to the rim of the Super Nitro and they would still balloon so bad they'd rub on the body enough to make the plastic start to liquify. I'm guessing foam tires with rubber "caps" like the old pan cars ran.
We still run them, on the concrete oval in Bakersfield, and when we ran the velodrome before we lost it.

The guys who run the ISC speed run classes have a real problem getting the tires to stay together. Nic Case uses special 3" BSR cap tires in the faster classes, and tire failure is always an issue.

http://iscspeedrun.com/
Old 12-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taylorm
.....cant wait to see a you tube video of this smacking a curb head on at 100MPH.......
I'll bet we see one at the mall in the spring time.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
We still run them, on the concrete oval in Bakersfield, and when we ran the velodrome before we lost it.

The guys who run the ISC speed run classes have a real problem getting the tires to stay together. Nic Case uses special 3" BSR cap tires in the faster classes, and tire failure is always an issue.

http://iscspeedrun.com/
Is that the smaller concrete oval I can see in areal photos or is it the big quarter scale oval they use to have in the early 90s?

This has really got me wondering...
Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No real competition in this space. Traxxas should be able to sell a lot. I like it.

From a marketing standpoint great move. People would probably buy other Traxxas models because they remember the 100mph Traxxas car...
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Robotech
Is that the smaller concrete oval I can see in areal photos or is it the big quarter scale oval they use to have in the early 90s?

This has really got me wondering...
This is A main in Bakersfield:

http://www.offthehookrc.com/papa-lous-a-main-oval.html

This is the velodrome in Encino:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I think the 1/4 scale track you are thinking of was Racers Haven. Its gone (about 15 years now) and we ran foam there. Caps were no bueno.

Last edited by CraigMBA; 12-01-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

I found a better one at Encino, and more on topic. Here is Nic Case (world's fastest RC driver), getting a couple of laps in, and then having it go wrong when he hits a bump, at "only" 76 MPH...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Encino is a lot of fun to race on, and when you win one, it feels awesome because you had to be quick AND you had to get lucky and not get into someone elses problem AND you had to drive well too.

Some days felt awesome simply because you walked away with your car in one piece.

Wrecking there sucked.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by cherokee95
it's all the parts that break when you hit that mailbox post you didn't see at 100mph.
Probably more like "when you hit that mailbox post that you saw but couldn't do anything about at 100mph."
Old 12-02-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

I made my exotek tamiya f104 go about 80mph and it was absolute madness!
No need for 100mph but I'd still love one of these just to bash around lol
Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

I won't be buying one but, I like the tech with the wide flat bottomed chassis for ground effect and the cool air feed for the motor. With downforce being one of the most important features of any modern race car I don't understand why RC TC chassis are getting narrower?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scoop
I won't be buying one but, I like the tech with the wide flat bottomed chassis for ground effect and the cool air feed for the motor. With downforce being one of the most important features of any modern race car I don't understand why RC TC chassis are getting narrower?
Because we take corners with our TCs. Chassis scraping can unsettle the car or just slow down corner speed. Rules are also in place to not allow ground effects.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.