Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Traxxas ? Just Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

so does it go 100mph on the included three cell? because castle says that speedo can handle 8 cell lipos
Old 12-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If someone on here buys one, please post some video from Encino Velodrome or Major Taylor Velodrome in Indy. This thing should blast around one of these tracks with ease.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

OK, So let me get this right. If I drop a G on a Traxxas vehicle (not a fan) that is advertised to go 100+, I also have to BUY an iPod Touch or iPhone AND buy an App from the Apple store in order to get this thing to do what it's advertised to do?
Coolest thing to come out of the Traxxas stable but WT...
You can't access the functions to make this thing go 100 + with a Castle Link?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lapper
OK, So let me get this right. If I drop a G on a Traxxas vehicle (not a fan) that is advertised to go 100+, I also have to BUY an iPod Touch or iPhone AND buy an App from the Apple store in order to get this thing to do what it's advertised to do?
Coolest thing to come out of the Traxxas stable but WT...
You can't access the functions to make this thing go 100 + with a Castle Link?
you would just need to borrow someone's iphone for a few minutes to DL the app and use it to unlock top speed. once unlocked, you don't need the iDevice. I suspect it's just a locked throttle endpoint on the tx, so if you put in a proper radio it wouldn't matter.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davin
Somebody is going to kill someone with this thing.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/6407xo1
It clearly states for "Experts Only". You could could kill someone with a Truggy or an 1/8th scale buggy, so that argument doesn't hold water.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lapper
I suspect it's so Traxxas can get you to read and agree to the disclaimer in the app before you can unlock the extra speed, so when you total the car or damage something or someone you can't sue Traxxas. After all, we all read those software licences before we hit the 'accept' button don't we.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Tech Regular

The first thing I hear a "new" person that walks into the hobby shop say is. "So how fast does this one go" then "Is there a faster one?"..... I think Traxxas will sell a crap load of these.

But then the local hobby shops will have a bunch of unhappy customers with broken cars because the mail box did not move or the car hits a rock and flies through a fence. Positive we will get to see some really cool You tube videos
Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hope she generates a tonne of down force for handling and safety reasons. Don't wanna see one of these take off into some kids face.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Say what you want about Traxxas, but when was the last time an RC car got an article on Fox News!

World's fastest toy car hist 100 mph!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

traxxas does not even have to make any spare parts for the car as if you hit something in 100mph you will have to buy a whole new car. good business model
Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MojoManDan
Who says you HAVE to run it at 100mph? You are not obligated to use the 6s combined batteries that it comes with. Slap in a 4s or 5s (or maybe just one of those included 3s batteries) and make it more controllable for parking lot racing.

Or, as was already discussed, turn down the throttle via CastleLink or IOS. It's not restricted to be a full-time land missile...only the foolish victims of Darwinism will think so...
Good point!!
Although, alot of people will be surprised that a castle link won't work on the esc:-).... It looks so much like a mamba monster, it seems inevitable, but nope:-)...
I am looking forward to unlocking it and setting the speedo to 80mph...... That's faster than anything in rc, and at that speed, I can run it in open areas that I see guys running the Schumacher and the nitro 4tec...
Old 12-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by VexVegaz
I agree completely! i am a huge fan of "turns".
Me, too...... I started racing on road and I miss it (caught the off road bug for the last 6 years or so). Remember, that there is only ONE Traxxas video on the car and that vid was specifically made to highlight the record breaking aspect of the car.......that DOESENT mean that it is a drag car, Lol!
The baja5b looks like a dune buggy and the first video of that buggy was of it hitting rooster tails in the sand.....but people run it on dirt ovals, off road tracks, front yards, back yards, etc
This car is the same thing........stay tuned for more videos of the car in a track!!,!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Robotech
I've driven a Super Nitro at 86 mph and let me tell you, that's damn fast and it didn't have the instant torque that this thing has. 100 with this is going to be overwhelming for most.

You need big places to run it but a big industrial area on the weekend would work. So would a big mall parking lot in June.

I tried the undertray ground effects back in the 90s but didn't have much luck because, well, I'm not Traxxas with a ton of money to spend on R&D and Developement. Realisticly though cars weren't fast enough then to benefit from it as much as this car is.

I have a ton of questions. At 80 mph I had problems keeping the tires glued to the rim of the Super Nitro and they would still balloon so bad they'd rub on the body enough to make the plastic start to liquify. I'm guessing foam tires with rubber "caps" like the old pan cars ran. I also would love to know how accurate the gauges are on the display.

All that said, I'm in. I would love to have one. I see this going to the drag strip too. I can just see people making yet more powerful motors. This thing is going to be nuts.
Hey, robotech (great name, btw....big macross fan here!).....I have some answers for you.....
The tires are a patented belted tire that is very similar to a real car tire, as is the rubber compound..... With that said, it is also a very sticky tire, with a different compound front and rear. I am told that, during the drive with hemanski from car action, they did 100 mph + runs back to back to back to back, etc, THEN, they bashed it, and road coursed it in 50mph mode doing rooster tails and "diffing" the rear end.......after all of that, not even a slight tires separation on any of the tires.

With respect to the accuracy of the speed, the speedo calculation for the xo-1 even accounts for tire expansion, which is pretty cool....with that said, it is only as accurate as the sensors.....there will be a gps sensor for purchase for those guys who want more accurate info (real time g-forces, slalom g's, gps speedometer, etc).

Hope this helps!!
Old 12-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by john stu
so does it go 100mph on the included three cell? because castle says that speedo can handle 8 cell lipos
The car comes with 2-3cell 5000 may packs, so it runs on6s. I am nit sure whether the architecture of this esc will allow a single pack.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by terry.sc
I suspect it's so Traxxas can get you to read and agree to the disclaimer in the app before you can unlock the extra speed, so when you total the car or damage something or someone you can't sue Traxxas. After all, we all read those software licences before we hit the 'accept' button don't we.
Correct....(at least, that is one of the reasons). Also, another poster mentioned using another radio to bypass the unlock feature? You cannot. You can only unlock the esc after downloading the app, reading the information (and a video, I think)...basically, the best way to unlock the thing is to take the 5 minutes to unlock it the right way, and you are done.....if you done have an iPod, either buy a used one on eBay for 30-50 bucks, or borrow one, as many people have suggested here :-)))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.