R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya F1 upgrade question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/573296-tamiya-f1-upgrade-question.html)

YR4Dude 11-30-2011 10:27 AM

Tamiya F1 upgrade question

I have an old Tamiya F102.

Recently I noticed that there are a number of conversion upgrade kits for F1 like the Exotek F1R and Yeah Racing Transformula.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the motor pod and axle from my F102 onto any of these newer F1 conversions. I understand that I'll have to get a newer front end for either but is it just the arms only or do I have to swap the steering knuckles and shafts as well?

Thanks for any help in advance.

InspGadgt 11-30-2011 10:57 AM

If I recall correctly the F102 had a different off-set in the rear pod so the wing wouldn't be centered and neither would the mount for the damper.

YR4Dude 11-30-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by InspGadgt (Post 9977884)
If I recall correctly the F102 had a different off-set in the rear pod so the wing wouldn't be centered and neither would the mount for the damper.

Would that be the same for the axle as well?

Anyways you may ask why would I want to swap over those F102 parts. Its because way back then I bought upgrades for the F102. Its got the upgraded finned motor pod plate and a graphite axle. So it would be nice if I can swap at least those parts over to the new chassis.

bakaguyjean 11-30-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by YR4Dude (Post 9977946)

Anyways you may ask why would I want to swap over those F102 parts. Its because way back then I bought upgrades for the F102. Its got the upgraded finned motor pod plate and a graphite axle. So it would be nice if I can swap at least those parts over to the new chassis.

Your motor mount with the fins will swap over but I shouldn`t be height adjustable,and the carbon rear axle will swap over but it will not last long anyway. Pm`d you about the cyclone parts.

InspGadgt 11-30-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by YR4Dude (Post 9977946)

The axle is the same but the diff side hub is different...and the F102 motor mount has a different mounting position than the F104 so if you use F104 tires the rear ride height will be too high. F103 tires should be about the right height though.

terry.sc 11-30-2011 04:35 PM

As has been said, the F102 pod will straight on but the offset is different. The F103 moved the motor over, so the f103 diff joint moves the wheel further away from the gear, so you can't use the F102 plastic wheel mount or the axle the diff runs on. The axle and left side wheel mount is compatible with the F103, your alloy motor mount will also fit on the standard F103 pod.

Originally Posted by YR4Dude (Post 9977763)
I understand that I'll have to get a newer front end for either but is it just the arms only or do I have to swap the steering knuckles and shafts as well?

The only difference are the plastic parts, the F102 knuckles and kingpins work fine. Use the carbon reinforced arms, part number 54153, same price as standard arms and much more durable.