R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Understanding Robitronics Dyno Sheet (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/5722-understanding-robitronics-dyno-sheet.html)

rod_b 06-10-2002 01:39 PM

Understanding Robitronics Dyno Sheet

I just got a new Core Stock motor and it comes with a Robitronics printout. Can someone tell me what decent numbers are?

RPM=24901
Max Watts=114W
Avg Watts=75.9W

Is this a decent motor?

Speedo 06-10-2002 03:58 PM

horrible

RPM - 24,000 - P2Ks are around 28000, GM3 around 30000

Max Watts - 130 on a great motor

Now you don't know what the voltage was set to, it could be 7 volts instead of 7.5 which would explain the lower numbers. Really the dyno sheets that come with the motors mean jack sh!t, try it in the car and see how it is.

josh

JeffC 06-10-2002 07:24 PM

I've got a Core and 2 Hellfires that are great, but the dyno numbers weren't much better than those. The factory dyno numbers are really only good for comparing motors you might buy.

Try Trinity 4499 brushes, purple/red springs for a starting point.

My Core is around 29000rpm, about 127-128w power, 82avg power.

acloco 06-10-2002 10:17 PM

I have yet to see ANY dyno printout that is even remotely close for any motor...stock or mod. I think they should skip the dyno sheet and take 2 bucks off the price.

#1...the motors are NOT broken in.....bushings, brushes...anything.

#2...the comms on the epic motor comms are terribly out of round or tapered.

If you look at anything on dyno sheet....pick the motor out of the case with the highest torque......torque, 99% of the time, will be the best indicator of the terrible dyno sheets.

rod_b 06-12-2002 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I put the motor in my XXX-S and it looked fast. Why do motors always look fast when you're doing practice runs?:confused::nod::p I went back and looked at the sheet again and the RPMs were actually 26901 and 117W. Still not great but I agree that the "dyno'd" versions aren't completely broken in and the numbers don't mean jack. Even Big Jim says that the best dyno is the track. Scary thing was this motor was the best of the bunch at my LHS...by far.

JeffC - Thanks for the tuning tips. Aren't purples kinda heavy?

JeffC 06-12-2002 01:09 PM

Yeah, purples are kinda heavy. But, for a heavy sedan on a high traction track, you need the heavy springs because of all the load. I've dynoed it with both red/green, red/red, purple/red, purple/purple, it likes purple/red the most. Also they like Trinity 4499 brushes the most it seems, I haven't tried cutting or narrowing them yet, before I do that I want to try 4499/767 combos. I ran 767's in my Hellfire last night because I was out of 4499's, and I didn't notice any ontrack difference. All my Reedy and Trinity motors are best with 767's though.

Joe 06-12-2002 01:54 PM

I tried 4499's on my Core and it kicks arse. I use red/green springs but I haven't tried the Purple/red combo yet.