Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Pan car gearing help please >

Pan car gearing help please

Pan car gearing help please

Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Pan car gearing help please

I own the Drag Racing track in San Antonio.

We are trying to put together a few rent a racers for the 2.5 second class just to get the newbies feet wet drag racing and get them hooked.

I was told the pan cars were pretty much almost indestructable and would be the best case senario to scrape/crash down the boards.

I have bought an older Associated 12 pan car with 21 tooth pinon & 81 tooth ringear,
it came with a Banzi motorsports motor set to stock timing and 2.7 diamater rear tires.

I plan to replace the motor at some point to a non brush replacable unit...so that is open to suggestion also.

I can go up or down in tire diameter sizes easy too.

I have tried it with a 2 cell LiPo and it is still too slow to cover 132' within 2.5 seconds.

Any of you guys have any suggestions?

I would sure appreciate any help,
Dennis
Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dennisnielsen

We are trying to put together a few rent a racers for the 2.5 second class just to get the newbies feet wet drag racing and get them hooked.

I was told the pan cars were pretty much almost indestructable and would be the best case senario to scrape/crash down the boards.

I have bought an older Associated 12 pan car with 21 tooth pinon & 81 tooth ringear,
it came with a Banzi motorsports motor set to stock timing and 2.7 diamater rear tires.

I plan to replace the motor at some point to a non brush replacable unit...so that is open to suggestion also.

I have tried it with a 2 cell LiPo and it is still too slow to cover 132' within 2.5 seconds.

Dennis
132 feet (which i think its feet) in 2.5 second is going to be very hard to do.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

132 feet (which i think its feet) in 2.5 second is going to be very hard to do.

Need to go a 540 and 2 cell LiPo?

What about some ring and pinion gearing advice?

Thanks

Last edited by dennisnielsen; 12-03-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dennisnielsen

Dennis
Ramp up the timing, go 3cell lipo and change that gearing to something more like 40/80 20/40 and you will get closer to the mark.

Either way, the only real way to get that thing moving is to go 3S and Brushless, go 5T then gear for the fixed dial in.

I am surprised you can get that thing off the line, the traction compound on our local drag track would stick it firm to the start line and the motor would not have enough power to overcome it.