Wiki Posts
Search

Front and Center One Way Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Front and Center One Way Help

Hi,
Fairly new to racing, i have a yokomo and fitted a front and center one way diff and the car seems to oversteer everywhere with what seems very little grip.Having read and ignored advice that i shouldn't go for a one way i'm now thinking of going back to a front ball diff and maybe leaving the center one way installed. How will this alter the handling?
I also have another yokomo with a front spool which handles similarly if a little less bad than the one way. Is this oversteer a set-up issue or just the characteristics of spools/one ways? thanks
Old 11-24-2011, 03:34 AM
Tech Elite

I'm not familiar with spools, cant help with that

The center one way will give a less pronounced effect of the one way diif, so it's likely worth a try.

Generally speaking, the car should be setup well with normal diffs, before mounting a one way. And the rear should be planted! Also, oneways are best suited for large and open tracks, and can increase speed through the large corners.

When driving with a one way, driving style must be adapted; That is, avoid breaking, and enter corners off throttle. This will give a lot of traction entering the corner. With a center oner way, exiting on throttle, will be like a normal diff. With a one way diff, you can hammer the throttle exiting the corner

Hope this helps
Old 11-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

One ways - centre or front - will mean that you only have rear wheel braking, and that will make the back end of the car unstable. One ways also increase the amount of natural steering the car has - the front one-way dramatically so.
They are very infrequently used nowadays.

Until recently, most racers would use a spool at the front, I personally still used a ball diff up front on small tracks. The spool takes away a little steering but is much more stable under braking and has good pull out of the corner.

The new kid on the block is the gear diff. There are pro's and cons to their use, and they have a different feel to a ball diff or spool. Depeding on what you fill them with, you can either make one that is freer than a ball diff or one that is only a hair short of being locked solid.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the input,
So you don't think the centre/front one ways are the cause of the oversteer?
I run inside on a fairly small tight carpet track so i guess getting rid of the one-way is a good idea,i'll go back to balls diffs.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by retro_ryan
Thanks for the input,
So you don't think the centre/front one ways are the cause of the oversteer?

I run inside on a fairly small tight carpet track so i guess getting rid of the one-way is a good idea,i'll go back to balls diffs.
No, I DO think the one ways will contribute to the oversteer. It may not be the only cause, but every setting you can change that will move the car towards understeer will help.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

@retro ryan: At this point I think it's a good idea to remove the one ways, and ensure the car dont oversteer at all. If you like to try the one-ways, I suggest you set it up for sligth undeersteer, and then try the center one way first. I dont disagree with sosidge, it's just that if one start altering the setup with a one way for less understeer, there's a risk of overdoing it, and end up with a very unbalanced car. If done the other way, setup for sligth understeed without one way, then it's easier to figure out whats happening. Like doing it step by step.

@sosidge: I've been out of the RC loop for 4-5 years, and it's a bit funny to read that gear diffs are the new kid on the block; When I bought a HPI RS4 Sport2 with gear diffs in year2000- ball diffs was considered an upgrade. Next was one ways, and spools werent mentioned... What I did like about the gear diffs back then, was they were virtually maintenance free... But they were also heavier than ball diffs.

Personally, I find one ways are fun to drive, but not always the fastest - one mistake, and crash boom bang.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok thanks, i'll go back to normal running ball diffs front and rear and normal centre setup and see how it handles and go from there. Thanks for your help.