Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palm Pilot Logging System

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Lightbulb Palm Pilot Log Book and Setup Program

I was wondering if any one would be interested in a program for a Palm Pilot or any other PDA system that would allow you to record all of yyou run info. This would include chassis setup, motor selection and battery selection. It would be a spreadsheet that would alowyou to record and save setups for different tracks, so it would eliminate those log books that you may be using. You wouldnt have to guess on what setups work where because you would have it saved in your PDA. This program would involve every aspect in tuning a RC car for any track classified by traction type to size of the track.

Also the program could have a section on motor selection; how much torque from your motor is needed for a short track, long track. Everything would be accounted for. As of right now I am only thinking about electric, with thoughts of advancing to all other classes of rc. I would just like to know if anybody would want to ever buy this program so I know that it would be a good idea. The product would be around $20 and you would be able to download it off the internet and into your PDA.

Please leave me your feedback!

Last edited by smaxxman; 12-10-2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes, I would be interested.

It would need to include:
Ability to have car specific setup-sheets
Figure gear rations, including the "internal ratio" of gearbox type cars
Ability to determine rollout using the above ratios.
Ability to punch in a rollout, and it spit back out a pinion suggestion based on internal ratio and current spur/tire size being ran,
Ability to safe setups for multiple tracks/conditions.

Right now, I use an old laptop w/microsoft excel, but I have to make each setup sheet if I get a new car. But I can do all the above w/what I create.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi,

I also would be interested in your program. I really don't care to lug my laptop around to all the bigger races. (besides it get used for gaming/surfing more than setups). and at 9+ pounds it's a bit heavy. my PDA is alot better for something like this. please include all the features that Acyier posted if possible.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

interested in a pocket pc version.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

i would love something like that for my pda, I could finally use the thing.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Count me in!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Sounds cool as PocketPC version. Palm is cool too, but that would rule me out. Palm has a bigger share of the market in US, but in Europe PocketPC has a lot bigger amount of users than Palm unfortunately.

I know it's hard to implement, but somehow getting data from Orion LPC would be damn cool. That would be a killer feature and it would make me buy a Palm just for this software.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds good guys. We would be able to include everything that acyrier said and more, we would be able to include a program to calculate what pinion should be used on each track copmpared to the car. As far as calculations for internal gears for specific cars, the user would plug in the gear sizes and press calculate and it would do it for you. Also RPM and Torque has been added to the list of things on the program.( How much rpm is needed vs torque needed, with different tracks and different cars). Keep up the suggestions and support. This program would have a spread sheet setup and a program for the calculation. You would also be able to ad your own variables. Also- everything can be saved however you want, for as long as you want.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Here is a funny fact I heard a year ago.

Do you know that palm has never had a profit in any of its quarters?

Cause it cost so much on its past reasearch.

Could be different now but I think it still holds.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Tech Initiate

I found this in a magazine. Can be used for cars and planes.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/
Old 12-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MO3 TRF
I found this in a magazine. Can be used for cars and planes.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/
I've had one for well over a year now.....
Old 12-10-2004, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

That ia data acquisition. This program is used for tuning and would tell you gear ratios, pinion sizes, and alsowhat types of motors to use based on the internal gears of your specific car. Also pocket PC would be the next thing, after the palm sells.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Count me in for Pocket PC version. I think you would be better suited to make a pocketPC version first. Seems like more people here have one then the Palm, maybe it is the R/C Racer demographic. BTW, PPC, are now the market leader in the states too.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:49 AM
Tech Regular

a nice built in roll out sheet would be cool to

plug in your spur and your trans ratio and it spits out roll outs for a spread of pinions and foam tire sizes

wvracer
Old 12-10-2004, 07:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Palm Pilot Logging System

Originally posted by smaxxman
I was wondering if any one would be interested in a program for a Palm Pilot or any other PDA system that would allow you to record all of yyou run info. This would include chassis setup, motor selection and battery selection. It would be a spreadsheet that would alowyou to record and save setups for different tracks, so it would eliminate those log books that you may be using. You wouldnt have to guess on what setups work where because you would have it saved in your PDA. This program would involve every aspect in tuning a RC car for any track classified by traction type to size of the track.

Also the program could have a section on motor selection; how much torque from your motor is needed for a short track, long track. Everything would be accounted for. As of right now I am only thinking about electric, with thoughts of advancing to all other classes of rc. I would just like to know if anybody would want to ever buy this program so I know that it would be a good idea. The product would be around $20 and you would be able to download it off the internet and into your PDA.

Please leave me your feedback!
Great idea! Another way would be to have different versions of the program for different cars. At the beginning of the program, you could pick your car from a list. The program could replicate the setup sheets for Xray, HPI Pro 4, TC3, Losi - the most popular cars, and then there could be a generic one too.
I am an experienced Palm author (not a programmer-I pay to have that part done!), and an authorized distributor for Palm and Sony, and would be glad to help you with this. You can check out one of my programs, GolfTap! - for keeping track of golf lessons, at www.hhgolfsys.com.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.